How much droop travel do you get??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-13-2016, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Limited9627
2014 WK 

How much droop travel do you get???

How much droop travel are people getting? I am getting 13.75" from the fender to the edge of a 20" rim on front and on the back I am getting 13.375". I'm measuring vertically from the center of the wheel up with the vehicle jacked up till the tire is off the ground. I am running the Bilstein 5100s and I have my sway bars removed.

If you have your sway bars on you might get different measurements when only one side of the vehicle is jacked up vs. both tires off the ground.

I don't know why these pictures are sideways... Top is front and back is below.

Make sure to measure from eye level to compare to these measurements.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0219.jpg   IMG_0211.jpg  

2014 WK2 Limited V6 w/ Icon Coilovers revalved and OME HD springs and shocks on rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-17-2016, 07:06 PM
BolderGuy
2013 WK 

interesting. Mine doesn't seem to get as much range. The OME lift should have given me more travel than stock? I'm not sure. I miss the WJ solid axles. So much easier. 1st pic (sidewise) is resting and 2nd is "full" extension on the jack and stands - both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
20160315_173401.jpg   20160315_173738.jpg  

3rd GC. ZJ, WJ and now WK2. Decked out Limited with OME 2.5 lift running 275/55/20s.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-18-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Limited9627
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolderGuy View Post
interesting. Mine doesn't seem to get as much range. The OME lift should have given me more travel than stock? I'm not sure. I miss the WJ solid axles. So much easier. 1st pic (sidewise) is resting and 2nd is "full" extension on the jack and stands - both sides.
That is the front correct? I don't know anything about the OME 2.5. Only their 2" rear and 1.75" front lift that rocky road sells. The front shocks that they utilize in that kit should give the same drop travel as the Bilsteins and the rear OME should give even more droop than the Bilsteins. I think it's safe to say you are being held up by the sway bars you must have on and with sway bars you are not able to utilize full suspension travel with these shocks. I'd take them off especially if you have OME stiff springs. How's the ride with those springs?

2014 WK2 Limited V6 w/ Icon Coilovers revalved and OME HD springs and shocks on rear.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-20-2016, 04:50 PM
BolderGuy
2013 WK 

The OME kit lists 45mm front and 50 mm rear for the lift. My pics are the front and just the droop, not the uptravel/compression. It rides a bit tighter than stock which I like. Not rough but more like a sport suspension. I just need to figure out if I have full travel range of stock or more. I shouldn't have to disconnect the sways to get full range. I'm wondering if the upper control arms are limiting the down travel as the stock ones seem to be extended to the down travel limit. Maybe someone with a lift is running the extended control arms can provide some info.
http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-control-arm.html

3rd GC. ZJ, WJ and now WK2. Decked out Limited with OME 2.5 lift running 275/55/20s.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Limited9627
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolderGuy View Post
The OME kit lists 45mm front and 50 mm rear for the lift. My pics are the front and just the droop, not the uptravel/compression. It rides a bit tighter than stock which I like. Not rough but more like a sport suspension. I just need to figure out if I have full travel range of stock or more. I shouldn't have to disconnect the sways to get full range. I'm wondering if the upper control arms are limiting the down travel as the stock ones seem to be extended to the down travel limit. Maybe someone with a lift is running the extended control arms can provide some info.
http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-control-arm.html
You might have more travel than stock but probably not much more. we won't know till someone with stock setup measures their droop and posts about it. And you might have to take off your sway bars to get full droop travel and not just articulation. That's the information that's come to light by people taking measurements. If you take off your sway bars the next thing that limits your travel I believe is your upper control arm and not the shock I believe although its really close. I'm currently readjusting my bilstein 5100s and my jeep has been in my garage for a few days now. From what I can see my stock upper controle arms are limiting my downward travel bc I have to undo my upper control arms to safely undo the lower strut mount, then jack it back up to reconnect the upper ball joint. If you have enough money to buy a WK2 to probably have the capability to remove your sway bar and put it back on if you don't like it, either yourself or pay someone like $30-40 to do it. I think if you take it off, measure your droop travel and go flex it out off road you will never put it back on.

It also appears I broke one of my rear bilstein 5100s bc the compresson stopper is plastic! the OME is steel. and one of my front 5100s is almost 3 inches longer than it should be! I'm working that out with Bilstein now and will make a new thread about everything when it all pans out. Breaking the front strut is something I have heard about on the OME on a tacoma but not on the WK2s or with Bilsteins. This may be a first. I also drive hard but I used to have Donahoe racing shocks on my tacoma and drove thousands of miles through baja with them and never had any problems that I knew of. They also cost like $700 a peice where the bilsteins ran me 160 a peice for the fronts. Maybe you just get what you pay for. The wk2 is also heavier and has stiffer springs I would imagine putting more stress on the shocks or struts.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-27-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Limited9627
2014 WK 

Can anyone else weigh in on this. Would be very interesting to know what people are getting with or without sway bars and even with stock suspension (QL and non QL).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.