How to make WK2 Diesel Quieter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > How to make WK2 Diesel Quieter

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 06-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
JSM
2014 WK 

How to make WK2 Diesel Quieter

Hi guys! I'm new here. I have 2014 Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesel. I want to know how to make it as quiet as a Bluetec Diesel. I almost bought an ML350 or a GL 350 Mercedes. They are extremely quiet compared to the Grand Cherokee at 40K more dollars. Am thinking of Dyna-matting the rear interior of my GC. I had an 07 Toyota Sienna LTD AWD before this, and at least one owner did this to his Sienna to make it quiet. This problem is probably an age thing. But I like it QUIET. This new GC is noisier than my Sienna was on the highway, but the fuelage of this GC is amazing compared to my Sienna.(double the mileage)
Also, this was the only vehicle that had all the features that I wanted. Heated steering wheel, diesel, air suspension, tow package, etc.... But I wish it was quieter on the highway. Love the power, hate the road and engine noise. Don't want a Mercedes, because the creature features are way better in the GC, And way less dollars !! Looks are better too !!!

JSM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
stevekcropper
2014 WK 

The GC is a bit noisy at start up and at low revs around 20 -30 MPH. But at highway speeds it is extremely quiet, I saw one test where at 70 mph they were registering something like 67 db. Apart from and depending on wind direction the mechanicals are eerily silent on tge highway, absolutly no complaints from me.
stevekcropper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 03:59 AM   #3
diverb

2014 WK 

Heck I think its too quite, I want mine to be louder so I know the darn thing is running!, lol
Unread 06-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #4
smljeep
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekcropper View Post
The GC is a bit noisy at start up and at low revs around 20 -30 MPH. But at highway speeds it is extremely quiet, I saw one test where at 70 mph they were registering something like 67 db. Apart from and depending on wind direction the mechanicals are eerily silent on tge highway, absolutly no complaints from me.
This is my opinion as well.
I have some vibration at idle but once under way it goes away and is very quiet. Btw, I'm not that young either!

I also looked at the MB, BMW and Audi options but chose the jeep as well!
smljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
hemispin
2014 WK 

Depending on the tires that came on it, you might try a "touring" radial of some kind. Check tirerack.com for some reviews. I had some Michelin touring radials on my last car, and they were pretty quiet.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
kkreit01

Check out sounddeadenershowdown.com. In order to block out exterior noise, you'll want MLV. Home Depot sells a cheap alternative:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...96BX/100663624

It won't be an easy/fun task.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Are you trying to reduce engine noise (since you referenced a Bluetech engine) or just overall road noise? As someone else noted, tires make a huge difference. When I put Goodyear Silent Armour tires on our old 2008 WK, I no longer had to adjust the radio volume every time I hit the freeway section with rough pavement.

The ecodiesel is a little noisier than the Mercedes engine in our 2008 at a cold startup.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Gecko426

The MB is MUCH quieter than the GC diesel, to the point it is difficult to tell it is a diesel. I drove both the GLK250 and ML350 Bluetec and if the dealer had been better to work with I'd have one of them today. Part of it is they have a heavy rubber gasket that surrounds the engine and seals to the bottom of the hood blocking a lot of the noise. I don't know if sound deadening inside would do much; they should have that already.
Gecko426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
JSM
2014 WK 

Thanks for all the input folks !
JSM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
TurboRush

Regardless of what others think in terms of how quite it is (I agree I think mine is very quite, although I have a v8) - to answer the OPs question, I think dynamat is really your best option. My biggest concern is that you have to take off panels, and lots of them depending on where you want to dynamat and that could introduce rattles and squeaks. If you do decide to go forward with it any quality car audio shop can handle the work.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.