How hot do your heated seats get? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > How hot do your heated seats get?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #31
Jeff_WK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgendron View Post
I don't find mine warm at all, even if I auto-start it, it seems like i need to sit on the seat before it actually warms the leather.
I just had the heat pad replaced on the driver side (2011), only because there was a "tech tip" for replacement. no difference.
It was tested before and after and the result was 90 degrees. to spec I'm told.
At least it does warm up.
According to a quick Google search, average human skin temperature is about 90 degrees. So if the seat only heats to 90 degrees, it will likely only feel barely warm to the touch.

Jeff_WK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #32
mitchgendron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_WK2 View Post
According to a quick Google search, average human skin temperature is about 90 degrees. So if the seat only heats to 90 degrees, it will likely only feel barely warm to the touch.
I'll take 90 over cold leather. it eventually gets hot, but no means is it warm on the initial start up (idling 10 mins). I'll live with it.
mitchgendron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #33
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
That is total BS.....
Really? I guess everything I've ever heard or read about heat not being good for leather must be BS then. Sure pal.

http://www.fibrenew.com/alameda_coun...em-sun-damage/
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #34
David1
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
Really? I guess everything I've ever heard or read about heat not being good for leather must be BS then. Sure pal.

http://www.fibrenew.com/alameda_coun...em-sun-damage/
Radiant heat has no effect. If the sun was baking it with all the UV that would be different. Automotive leather is not like home leather. Our leather is clear topcoat treated after tanning and dying and is not even able to be treated. All you do to our leather is wipe it down to keep the dirt off to keep the top coat from wearing off. I have had heated leather car interiors in my cars for 20+ years, live in the snow belt and have the seat heaters on most of the time in the fall and winter months with ZERO issue. Now the cars my wife drives, the seat bolsters wear from her dragging her *** on and off the seat.

Now, if you had the last generation Grand Cherokee or any other Chrysler product back then, the leather was so poorly produced with a poor topcoat and no UV protection that the topcoat would split from the top, dirt and grime got in there to finish it off especially if you used a leather treatment on it since most of these products break down the rest of the topcoat and then break up the leather fibers after that.

Dirt, abrasion, and UV damage is was ruins automotive grade leather. I so love when people compare home and automotive leather when they are not in the business.
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #35
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I think you should wipe down with a damp cloth every now and then (couple weeks) to help keep the leather from drying out (Chrysler recommendation). Even with a wear layer "top coat" the leather breathes through its pores... more so if you have perforated seats. Otherwise keep it clean and decent seat leather last for a long time. I have both a 25 year old Mercedes and BMW with 200,000 miles where the seats look near new. Seat heaters are the least of your worry. ....Friends don't let friends use conditioner on their leather seats. Mild cleaner perhaps, but skip the conditioner, its better to do nothin..
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #36
David1
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I think you should wipe down with a damp cloth every now and then (couple weeks) to help keep the leather from drying out (Chrysler recommendation). Even with a wear layer "top coat" the leather breathes through its pores... more so if you have perforated seats. Otherwise keep it clean and decent seat leather last for a long time. I have both a 25 year old Mercedes and BMW with 200,000 miles where the seats look near new. Seat heaters are the least of your worry. ....Friends don't let friends use conditioner on their leather seats. Mild cleaner perhaps, but skip the conditioner, its better to do nothin..
Correct!
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #37
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Got it. Damp cloth it is.....thanks.
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #38
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Radiant heat has no effect. If the sun was baking it with all the UV that would be different. Automotive leather is not like home leather. Our leather is clear topcoat treated after tanning and dying and is not even able to be treated. All you do to our leather is wipe it down to keep the dirt off to keep the top coat from wearing off. I have had heated leather car interiors in my cars for 20+ years, live in the snow belt and have the seat heaters on most of the time in the fall and winter months with ZERO issue. Now the cars my wife drives, the seat bolsters wear from her dragging her *** on and off the seat.

Now, if you had the last generation Grand Cherokee or any other Chrysler product back then, the leather was so poorly produced with a poor topcoat and no UV protection that the topcoat would split from the top, dirt and grime got in there to finish it off especially if you used a leather treatment on it since most of these products break down the rest of the topcoat and then break up the leather fibers after that.

Dirt, abrasion, and UV damage is was ruins automotive grade leather. I so love when people compare home and automotive leather when they are not in the business.
No, I'm not in the leather business & never claimed to be an expert in the field. If you read my original post (which you called total BS) I said I wondered if the heating element would cause issues with the leather. I'm pretty sure the 5 words in parenthesis at the end of that post (if there is an issue) bears that out.
Your informative post above would have been a more appropriate response at that time, instead of your "total BS comment". Just sayin'.
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #39
koopzz

Here is a question regarding the heated seats: Does there need to be weight in the seat for them to turn on?

The reason I ask is because I just had my Jeep reprogrammed, after having the tailgate lift sensor replaced. I swear now the seats do not get as warm as they did before.

My test was going to be to take a temperature reading with my IR Thermometer, turn on the passenger's heated seat on High, and take another temp reading with the IR Thermometer.

I had the Jeep at the dealership twice for that tailgate sensor - I do not want to "bug" them again regarding this...
koopzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #40
falcon2014

The seat in my '14 Summit doesn't get very warm. That's kind of disappointing to me since I really enjoy warm buns on cold mornings, and my GMC Sierra could roast you up..

It'd be interesting if those who have access to an IR Temp gun to get a reading and post it so we all have true temps to compare. I'll do mine this evening when I get home and post it.

I'll also read my wife's '07 GC's seat and see what that is.

****update***

I just got a temp gun from our maintenance dept and checked the seat temperatures.

I turned all 4 seats on high and read the temps after about 4 or 5 minutes. No weight on the seats.

The problem seems to be that only a relatively narrow band (~2 inches) of the seat inserts gets heated.

The non-heated sections were reading around 60 -62*.

The heated bands were getting up to the mid to high 80's. Keep in mind, this isn't the whole surface, but just the bands where the element is.

I'll test our '07 seats tonight.

Last edited by falcon2014; 01-08-2014 at 02:05 PM..
falcon2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #41
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
That is total BS.....
Great post there! Very insightful.
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #42
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
Good advise, completely agree with you. All of the cars that we have owned are or have been leather seats, we wipe them down about once month and use a mild conditioner, never had any problems with the leathers seats, its just more maintenance.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #43
koopzz

Good looking out Falcon. I miss this website
koopzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #44
Jeff_WK2

Good info Falcon. I will check my seats tomorrow with my IR thermometer and post what I find.
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #45
Jeff_WK2

D'oh! Thermometer battery dead today. Will try again tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.