How good an engine is the V6 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > How good an engine is the V6

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Closed Thread
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #91
LouC
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,171
Honestly the V-6 is fine in the new Grand. There have been the same debates raging with the ZJ guys for years, 4.0 Six vs V-8. Of course the V-8 will perform better in either but the 6s do have their advantages. Cost, mileage to an extent. Easier to find if you buy used. I would have liked to get a V-8 when I bought my ZJ new 15 years ago, but by then it was well known that the aluminum Dana 44 was used in the 96-98 V-8s was very prone to noise problems, and I preferred the shift it yourself Selectrac to the Quadratrac 4x4. So 15 years and 145,000 miles later that old ZJ is still rolling along, and I did not have to rebuild the rear diff (many did have to re-do those Alu 44s, some more than once) or do anything to the 242 Selectrac (many 249 Quadratracs have to get the viscous coupler replaced at 120k miles or so). The 6 in the ZJ is also very easy to work on.

I don't know long term how the Pentastar will fair in terms of general reliability and durability vs the Hemi but they are using it in so many vehicles we will know how good it is soon.
If you like the way it performs in the WKII then why not just enjoy it, even with the ZJ I'd say the 6 is fine unless you are towing more than 4,000 lbs then there is no contest. The torque of the V-8 wins out. And no more comments from the guy above with the 4 cyl BMW. The Hemi tows great, been there and done that many times.

__________________
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
LouC is offline  
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #92
jacko15
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania's North Shore
Posts: 660
Do I hear an Amen here!
__________________
Hers: 2008 Jeep Compass Sport
Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6 ORA II
Michelin LTX M/S 2's
jacko15 is offline  
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #93
FranksWK
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ROCKY POINT, NY
Posts: 189
Amen!! Brotha!
FranksWK is offline  
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #94
WvTaco
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Logan, Wv
Posts: 493
the thing is as good as the motors can be the v6 tranmission gearing sucks...
someone would be stupid to buy a left over 13 with the 14s sitting right there.
WvTaco is offline  
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #95
illflo
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Remington, Virginia
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
the thing is as good as the motors can be the v6 tranmission gearing sucks...
someone would be stupid to buy a left over 13 with the 14s sitting right there.
What bothers you about the gearing? Seems like a lot of folks have this gripe, so I'm just curious. I came from a V8 Pickup and find the gearing to be fine; though I do occasionally use the select-shifter for merging onto the highway, going up hills, etc.

Maybe I just haven't experienced the new tranny.
__________________
'12 V6 WK2 Laredo X
illflo is offline  
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #96
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by illflo View Post

What bothers you about the gearing? Seems like a lot of folks have this gripe, so I'm just curious. I came from a V8 Pickup and find the gearing to be fine; though I do occasionally use the select-shifter for merging onto the highway, going up hills, etc.

Maybe I just haven't experienced the new tranny.
The gearing sucks because you can do 50 in 1st gear on a engine that has no torque. Off the top of my head I ant remember how much it changed but the 13 uses a 3.09 rear gear with a 3 something 1st gear. The 14 uses a 3.45 rear gear with a 4 something 1st gear, that is quite a difference. That is why the 14 gained 1200 lbs towing capacity.
loveracing1988 is offline  
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #97
KickRocks
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Highland, CA
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by illflo View Post
Dude, did you read the post? I have no problem with the V8. It's a great engine. But it's not objectively superior. It's better [I]at certain things[I]. I'm not arguing the V6 is better. Go back and read my response. If you aren't going to read my responses then don't bother arguing. I won't engage blather.

Someone else got there first in a response so I won't address it, but it's an upgrade because it costs more, not vice versa. Jeep is stroking your ego and making you feel better about paying more for an older, heavier engine by calling it an upgrade. You paid more for the little Hemi badge on the back of your Jeep. It's a great engine, but it's older and heavier. My 5.3 V8 in my chevy pickup (which weighed significantly more than the WK2) got better Mpg.


My point is that you are presenting your opinion as fact; and that's misleading. And you continue to do it. Like I said, if you won't read my posts, then don't respond. The V8 and V6 are both great engines. I've said that from the beginning. But they serve different needs, so while more power and speed may be 'better' for you, it wasn't for me. So for you, the V8 may have been a better fit. The V6 was a better fit for me. This has been my point all along.

We have an obligation to be accurate on here: I know I used a ton of the stuff found on here for my buying decision. That's why I'm worried about you being misleading.

The only fantasy I live in is the one where I was able to afford a WK2.
You guys crack me up.. Heavier? 400lbs heavier total for the Overland Vs V6 Loredo. Hardly enough weight difference considering most of that is suspension and skid plating. So 200 lbs of that is accessories.. So 200lbs more? Not the big deal you make it.

Still on that mileage thing eh? I got 26 mpg on my trip this past weekend, that was doing nothing less than 75 for about 200 miles in a full loaded jeep with camping gear and 2 people. So you going to now brag your V6 got 27 mpg with nothing in it? LOL. Please do that..

These are the exact stupid complaints by people like you that justify why you bought a V6.. just say you coudln't afford the V8 or you would have got it. I never gave opinions.. The facts are the V8 is better in every way but MPG. That's why they charge more for it. The only selling point for V6 is MPG.

As for paying more? I didn't.. I got my Overland V8 for $42K with MaxCare and Perma-Plate paint treatment. The problem is you want me to sit here and read your babbling on how your V6 is somehow better..when not one fact outside of MPG is proving this. Then you retract saying they are both good engines.. What you're missing is **I** never said the V6 was bad, I was just responding to people saying that the V8 is no good...or even worse off than the V6 somehow. That's just complete BS.
KickRocks is offline  
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #98
Kev M
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eastern, PA
Posts: 667
We could afford whatever Jeep or competitor we wanted.

As for mileage, I'm skeptical as to your honesty in the matter, but even if that number is real I can guarantee we wouldn't be able to duplicate it either with the shyte fuel we're forced to use around here or the lead foot/binary driving style of my wife.

In short, the V8 offers NOTHING we want or need, ergo does nothing better for us.
Kev M is offline  
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #99
nyrhockey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: , ct
Posts: 180
i think it's time for the Mods to lock this thread. KickRocks just does...not....get....it and is basically just trolling at this point.
nyrhockey23 is offline  
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #100
MickinNY
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Churchville, NY
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks View Post
You guys crack me up.. Heavier? 400lbs heavier total for the Overland Vs V6 Loredo. Hardly enough weight difference considering most of that is suspension and skid plating. So 200 lbs of that is accessories.. So 200lbs more? Not the big deal you make it.

Still on that mileage thing eh? I got 26 mpg on my trip this past weekend, that was doing nothing less than 75 for about 200 miles in a full loaded jeep with camping gear and 2 people. So you going to now brag your V6 got 27 mpg with nothing in it? LOL. Please do that..

These are the exact stupid complaints by people like you that justify why you bought a V6.. just say you coudln't afford the V8 or you would have got it. I never gave opinions.. The facts are the V8 is better in every way but MPG. That's why they charge more for it. The only selling point for V6 is MPG.

As for paying more? I didn't.. I got my Overland V8 for $42K with MaxCare and Perma-Plate paint treatment. The problem is you want me to sit here and read your babbling on how your V6 is somehow better..when not one fact outside of MPG is proving this. Then you retract saying they are both good engines.. What you're missing is **I** never said the V6 was bad, I was just responding to people saying that the V8 is no good...or even worse off than the V6 somehow. That's just complete BS.
Hmmm, let's see now. Your hemi is rated at 20 mpg highway. As you like to point out, that's a fact. Yet with 2 people, fully loaded with camping gear & doing no less than 75 on your recent trip you managed to get 26 mpg?? Yeah, sure you did. Now that's what I call complete BS.
MickinNY is offline  
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #101
illflo
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Remington, Virginia
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks View Post
You guys crack me up.. Heavier? 400lbs heavier total for the Overland Vs V6 Loredo. Hardly enough weight difference considering most of that is suspension and skid plating. So 200 lbs of that is accessories.. So 200lbs more? Not the big deal you make it.

Still on that mileage thing eh? I got 26 mpg on my trip this past weekend, that was doing nothing less than 75 for about 200 miles in a full loaded jeep with camping gear and 2 people. So you going to now brag your V6 got 27 mpg with nothing in it? LOL. Please do that..

These are the exact stupid complaints by people like you that justify why you bought a V6.. just say you coudln't afford the V8 or you would have got it. I never gave opinions.. The facts are the V8 is better in every way but MPG. That's why they charge more for it. The only selling point for V6 is MPG.

As for paying more? I didn't.. I got my Overland V8 for $42K with MaxCare and Perma-Plate paint treatment. The problem is you want me to sit here and read your babbling on how your V6 is somehow better..when not one fact outside of MPG is proving this. Then you retract saying they are both good engines.. What you're missing is **I** never said the V6 was bad, I was just responding to people saying that the V8 is no good...or even worse off than the V6 somehow. That's just complete BS.

KR: You are totally missing the point. And obviously not reading the responses. Nobody is bashing your V8. You might get great V8 mpg. Nobody has contested that. Nobody, anywhere has anyone said the V6 is better. All I have said, all along, is that when you say: the V8 is better, you are presenting an opinion. You're totally missing the point.

The point is, there is no such thing as a 'better' engine. That suggests that there's a way to measure 'betterness'. Engines are often statistically superior in one manner or the other, but the fact that your V8 has more HP just means that it has more HP, etc. It's up to the owner to decide whether or not he needs it, and whether or not the V8 or the V6 is a better fit for him.

The paying more thing goes back to your argument about it being an upgrade; go to Jeep's builder and you'll see the V8 costs more. Regardless of what you paid, the V8 costs more. And regardless of what MPG you get, most on here, and anywhere else, get and report much worse MPG.

The problem is you repeatedly present your opinion as fact. And it's just your opinion.
__________________
'12 V6 WK2 Laredo X
illflo is offline  
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #102
Jackal01
Moderator
 
Jackal01's Avatar
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas, Texas
Posts: 2,159
Locked. This horse has been beat enough.

Sent from my underground lair.
__________________

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch
Jackal01 is offline  
Closed Thread
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.