How good an engine is the V6 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > How good an engine is the V6

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Closed Thread
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #31
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

i would think they would add a turbo or two, to the pentastar before they develop a new v-8.

Unread 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #32
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
i would think they would add a turbo or two, to the pentastar before they develop a new v-8.
I agree .
It's gonna a 9 speed transmission with twin turbos on the Pentastar for 2018 JGCs.

With available Diesel and Hybrid versions also.

Can't wait!.
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #33
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks View Post

When you say it's "Behind in Techology and Efficiency" where exactly is it behind? It's class leading in HP, it's crazy reliable, and there are almost no V8s out there that get better mileage. Chevy doesn't make anything that comes close to what the V8 Cherokees is. The Terrain? LOL. C'mon now... If you're a Chevy Fan boy that's fine... but I've owned nothing but Chrysler products over the last 10 years and I drive my cars/suvs hard and they never let me down. I know 4 people with this Hemi over 150,000 miles driven hard and all they ever do is change the oil, guess what? Still running strong. So again I ask, what "Technology" is missing? It gets 20+ MPG on the highway and 15-18 in the city.. show me a 5500lb+ SUV that can do that reliablly with 390 HP and still climb up the side of a mountain., you can't.
Don't bother, he puts that stuff in every post he makes about engines.
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #34
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik
Can I ask what mileage do you usually get to Tahoe and back? I am driving 2004 WJ and get 18-19 mpg round trip from South SF bay. Want to upgrade to 2014 and was hoping for 25 mpg on these trips.
Yes, I usually get about 23mpg on the freeway and the efficiency is a bit less when climbing the grades near Auburn, Colfax, Donner Summit, etc.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #35
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher View Post
I agree .
It's gonna a 9 speed transmission with twin turbos on the Pentastar for 2018 JGCs.

With available Diesel and Hybrid versions also.

Can't wait!.
I hate turbos off road and they complicate simple maintenance. Give me displacement.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #36
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
The V8 is overweight and not very efficient when compared to the new GM small block, Ford Coyote and even the previous generation GM small block.

The Chrysler V8 is not even current generation technology and who knows where Chrysler is going to find the funds to develop an up to date V8 to that is the equal of many of its competitors.
I'm not sure where you get this BS, are you making it up. Those statements certainly don't hold up outside of your narrow point of view. The new GM small blocks and Ford Coyote are jokes off road or for reliable heavy hauling. Those are car engines. Everyone I know thats tried them wants to get out of them ASAP. Perhaps they look good on paper, but out in the world they are disasters for everything other than mall cruisers or show cars. Their forums are full of complaints.

Are you just trying to stir the pot here again with nonsense statements?
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #37
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I hate turbos off road and they complicate simple maintenance. Give me displacement.
I agree with you on that.

The wife has a Hyundai 2 liter turbo, 2011 Genesis 2 door that gives us 15.9 MPG city and 26 MPG highway.
Just awful!

Not sure why all the rage with turbos.

But the Pentastar would be Balls with a couple of Turbos.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
WvTaco
2011 WK 

Quote:
As I said above.. my Hemi got 22 MPG average driving from here to Death Valley, Vegas and back to socal. That included plenty of very large grades and vegas traffic. Even still, if I were getting 19 mpg with the Hemi, the "Bonus" of having to not change so many plugs, and a little "blow by" is not a good trade for the power and proven reliability of the Hemi. I road trip my GC everywhere.. I need power to pass. Not to mention at elevation here in CA (Altitudes above 10,000ft) on many trails your jeep is going to lose power due to low oxygen levels.. I'd rather lose from 390HP than 290HP. just IMO of course. I'm not one to really "Tell" people what to get.. I can just speak for myself, and my preferences and experiences. In my experiences more power is better...always is.
ive got 27mpg driving to Savannah in my 6, but got on one trip is different than everyday driving. that being said my wife gets 20 mpg on there 4 mile each way city driving. on same trip i get 22-23 out of it, shes a little lead foot.
hemi in wk2 has 360hp
but what do i know my dd's are a 42hp motorcycle and a 154hp wagon that both get over 40mpg.
i have never found the jeep lacking power but i dont drive like an idiot anymore.
here in wv we just have 5000ft mountains, and a lot of up and downs. no real flat areas.
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #39
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
ive got 27mpg driving to Savannah in my 6, but got on one trip is different than everyday driving. that being said my wife gets 20 mpg on there 4 mile each way city driving. on same trip i get 22-23 out of it, shes a little lead foot.
hemi in wk2 has 360hp
but what do i know my dd's are a 42hp motorcycle and a 154hp wagon that both get over 40mpg.
i have never found the jeep lacking power but i dont drive like an idiot anymore.
here in wv we just have 5000ft mountains, and a lot of up and downs. no real flat areas.
That's cool bro...nothing wrong with the V6. Im more commenting toward those that say the Hemi is somehow inferior. Pure Rediculousness. I didn't buy my Hemi for MPG... I bought it because it's the best that Jeep has to offer for this platform. I wanted the most power I could get.. I'm happy to sacrafice 5 mpg for 100 more HP. Enjoy your jeep! Get it dirty!
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #40
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

Again...how de hell are some of you getting 27mpg or even 20 in the city?!?! Are you doing your calculations right?!?! is there something wrong with your evic?
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #41
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
Again...how de hell are some of you getting 27mpg or even 20 in the city?!?! Are you doing your calculations right?!?! is there something wrong with your evic?
Slow acceleration, minimal braking, constant speeds of 45-65 mph max = 20ish around town and 25-26 on highway for me.

But, it's very throttle sensitive, and it easily can average only 18 ish / 20 ish if I'm in a rush or when my wife drives it.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #42
jacko15
2014 WK 

MPG is extremely dependent on driving conditions and shoe weight. On a recent road trip I was amazed to watch the real time mpg gauge go anywhere from 11 mpg on a rather steep grade going up, to 94 mpg on a long descent. I had the cruise set at 65, and on the ascent it dropped into 7th gear when it was getting 11 mpg. So I'd say you can be somewhat the master of your fuel economy by adjusting your driving habits, especially in the city. By the way, the 65 mph highway driving averaged 23.5 mpg, and my total average has been 19.5 overall calculating on paper.
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #43
illflo
2012 WK 

Wow, who knew engines were such a contentious issue?

I had a Crew-Cab '10 Silverado with the 5.3 VVT V8. One of the so-called 'Modern V8s' from GM. It was an awesome engine. I pulled 7k no problems and got 20-24 MPG on the highway at 65-70 MPH.

When I decided I wanted a WK2, I was sure I wanted the Hemi. I knew I would never go to a V6. And then I looked at the MPG. And I knew with my driving style, the hemi would mirror what I had been getting in the pickup. So why trade the arguably more functional aspect of the pickup to get the same MPG? There's so much more vehicle to the truck for (more or less) the same MPG. Some folks on here seem to do pretty well with the Hemi. I had one in an 04 Ram that was a gas hog.

I test drove the V6 and V8 and found the V6 suited my driving style better. It seemed 'peppier' to me. And again, if I was going to get 14mpg in the city, why not stay in the pickup? But the V6 gave me much improved gas mileage. I have gotten 22+ at 55. But the biggest difference I have noticed is that the pickup loved 70MPH. It could cruise at 70 on flat ground and sip gas. I was on 95 south from VA to SC and 26 MPG in some places. The Jeep with the V6 seems to be geared to love a speed closer to 60. In that sense it's sort of a misnomer to compare them. The Hemi is a good, functional engine, as is the V6.

Ultimately? Jeep's Hemi is comparable to the V8s available in full-size pickups and Tahoes. Having the Hemi allowed Jeep to offer the size and convenience the WK2 has and Jeep branding with the capability to pull a boat/camper. Having the hemi and the V6 put them in a position to compete with crossovers with good V6 MPG and full-size SUVs and Pickups with one vehicle instead of keeping something like the Commander.

Back to the OP: Test drive them both. You'll like one better. Some folks love their V6s, some love their V8s. Both are good, capable engines.
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #44
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflo View Post
Wow, who knew engines were such a contentious issue?

I had a Crew-Cab '10 Silverado with the 5.3 VVT V8. One of the so-called 'Modern V8s' from GM. It was an awesome engine. I pulled 7k no problems and got 20-24 MPG on the highway at 65-70 MPH.

When I decided I wanted a WK2, I was sure I wanted the Hemi. I knew I would never go to a V6. And then I looked at the MPG. And I knew with my driving style, the hemi would mirror what I had been getting in the pickup. So why trade the arguably more functional aspect of the pickup to get the same MPG? There's so much more vehicle to the truck for (more or less) the same MPG. Some folks on here seem to do pretty well with the Hemi. I had one in an 04 Ram that was a gas hog.

I test drove the V6 and V8 and found the V6 suited my driving style better. It seemed 'peppier' to me. And again, if I was going to get 14mpg in the city, why not stay in the pickup? But the V6 gave me much improved gas mileage. I have gotten 22+ at 55. But the biggest difference I have noticed is that the pickup loved 70MPH. It could cruise at 70 on flat ground and sip gas. I was on 95 south from VA to SC and 26 MPG in some places. The Jeep with the V6 seems to be geared to love a speed closer to 60. In that sense it's sort of a misnomer to compare them. The Hemi is a good, functional engine, as is the V6.

Ultimately? Jeep's Hemi is comparable to the V8s available in full-size pickups and Tahoes. Having the Hemi allowed Jeep to offer the size and convenience the WK2 has and Jeep branding with the capability to pull a boat/camper. Having the hemi and the V6 put them in a position to compete with crossovers with good V6 MPG and full-size SUVs and Pickups with one vehicle instead of keeping something like the Commander.

Back to the OP: Test drive them both. You'll like one better. Some folks love their V6s, some love their V8s. Both are good, capable engines.
Solid post. However..I don't know how it could be "peppier" with close to a 100HP less...And like i was saying before.. 1-2 MPG difference between the V6 and the V8. Not that big of a deal for the loss in HP you get with the V6. I will 100% agree though.. both are good capable engines. I'd say the only thing that makes the V6 worth it is the price tag difference (in most cases) even though I got the V8 for cheaper than most paid for the V6.
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #45
illflo
2012 WK 

Quote:
Solid post. However..I don't know how it could be "peppier" with close to a 100HP less...And like i was saying before.. 1-2 MPG difference between the V6 and the V8. Not that big of a deal for the loss in HP you get with the V6. I will 100% agree though.. both are good capable engines. I'd say the only thing that makes the V6 worth it is the price tag difference (in most cases) even though I got the V8 for cheaper than most paid for the V6.
Sure, 100 HP less but also less weight. The hemi felt like a dog me compared to the V8 in my pickup. For, you maybe the V8 and V6 were comparable. It's all about what you like and what your needs are. As for the price tag: On the used market there was a marginal difference in my experience.

I test-drove a WK2 hemi, my dad's WK2 V6, and of course my pickup for an entire day in normal traffic doing all the things I normally did to try and get a real world MPG reading for me. I reset the MPG on all three and got 14 on the pickup, 15 in the Hemi, 19 in the V6. So for me, the V6 was an easy choice because of city MPG and my driving style. Plus, I have a one-ton work truck so it wasn't as important to have the extra power to tow. Admittedly, some folks do really well with the V8 in terms of MPG.

My point was merely that different engines are more appropriate for different purposes and driving styles. But to say that one engine is somehow 'worse' than another is a purely subjective analysis (and I saw this claim earlier in the thread). The V6 is 'better', for some people. The V8 is 'better' for others. Of course, they don't compare for towing.

To say the hemi is 'better' for off-roading or 'better' more generally is not only just an opinion, but misleading to the OP. (I had read this in an earlier post as well) What I was trying to say to him was: drive both. Think about your needs. They are both great engines. Everybody's got an opinion. I love my V6. Pulls all I need it too (single axle trailer with firewood) Lots of people love their V8. You'll drive them and instantly like one better than another. If not, do some research and think about your needs and make an informed decision.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.