How good an engine is the V6 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > How good an engine is the V6

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperCyber Sale on RUBICON EXPRESS - Short Arms, Long Arms, Tra

Closed Thread
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #16
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

It Annt A Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks View Post
Get the Hemi...
One its not a real hemi, its old school technology and its overweight.. Chrysler really needs a modern V8 to compete with GM's new small block and the Coyote from Ford.

The So Called Hemi is great if you like changing 16 spark plugs every 30000 miles

Unread 04-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #17
MickinNY
2013 WK 

If you want a V8, forget the hemi. Get the pentastar V8....more reliable.
Unread 04-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
If you want a V8, forget the hemi. Get the pentastar V8....more reliable.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
WvTaco
2011 WK 

other than that batch of bad heads. i havnt seen any problems with the 3.6l
23k on mine no motor issues.
the 5 speed gearing sucks but i still tow close to 4k at times.

compared the hemi vs v6,
plugs
hemi 16 every 30k v6 6 every 96,000 mi. and the srt is the same as the v6.
hemis have blow by too, have seen or heard of no issues with v6.
mpg 23k lifetime average of my wk2 is 19.97mpg. most hemis get 15-16 on fuelly, v6 get 18-19 not counting 2014 on either.

if i wanted a new jeep 3.6l would get my vote again. or in dream world srt.
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

hemi?

I know lots of people like their hemi's, but I have to wonder how much is hype/marketing versus real benefit. I have test driven several vehicles with that engine and frankly they did not really seem quicker than the V6. my guess is that the diesel engine will be fantastic, however, I would never buy it with all those other options.

I think the gas V6 is overall an excellent engine. It is even better with the 8 speed transmission than the prior five-speed.

I have even test driven R/T Durango and it was not peppy at all, which is what any review about it will say as well
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #21
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
One its not a real hemi, its old school technology and its overweight.. Chrysler really needs a modern V8 to compete with GM's new small block and the Coyote from Ford.

The So Called Hemi is great if you like changing 16 spark plugs every 30000 miles
I've always wrenched on my cars.. so changing spark plugs isn't a chore. As for the Hemi, I know it's not a "real hemi" It's really just a name.. that's not breaking news. However, I do know SRT had their hand in it's development and I completely trust everything SRT touches. I've owned 3 SRTs and beat the living crap out of every one of them and they all took it and gave back nothing but performance. The new Hemi is very reliable and has tons of power. For me, there was no question that I wanted the power to push this heavy SUV up mountains and have power for passing on the road. The Gas mileage for me has been 22 mpg on the highway, that's right there with the V6. I don't see why anyone would buy the V6 outside of cost.
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #22
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
other than that batch of bad heads. i havnt seen any problems with the 3.6l
23k on mine no motor issues.
the 5 speed gearing sucks but i still tow close to 4k at times.

compared the hemi vs v6,
plugs
hemi 16 every 30k v6 6 every 96,000 mi. and the srt is the same as the v6.
hemis have blow by too, have seen or heard of no issues with v6.
mpg 23k lifetime average of my wk2 is 19.97mpg. most hemis get 15-16 on fuelly, v6 get 18-19 not counting 2014 on either.

if i wanted a new jeep 3.6l would get my vote again. or in dream world srt.
As I said above.. my Hemi got 22 MPG average driving from here to Death Valley, Vegas and back to socal. That included plenty of very large grades and vegas traffic. Even still, if I were getting 19 mpg with the Hemi, the "Bonus" of having to not change so many plugs, and a little "blow by" is not a good trade for the power and proven reliability of the Hemi. I road trip my GC everywhere.. I need power to pass. Not to mention at elevation here in CA (Altitudes above 10,000ft) on many trails your jeep is going to lose power due to low oxygen levels.. I'd rather lose from 390HP than 290HP. just IMO of course. I'm not one to really "Tell" people what to get.. I can just speak for myself, and my preferences and experiences. In my experiences more power is better...always is.
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #23
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

???

Quote:
I've always wrenched on my cars.. so changing spark plugs isn't a chore. As for the Hemi, I know it's not a "real hemi" It's really just a name.. that's not breaking news. However, I do know SRT had their hand in it's development and I completely trust everything SRT touches. I've owned 3 SRTs and beat the living crap out of every one of them and they all took it and gave back nothing but performance. The new Hemi is very reliable and has tons of power. For me, there was no question that I wanted the power to push this heavy SUV up mountains and have power for passing on the road. The Gas mileage for me has been 22 mpg on the highway, that's right there with the V6. I don't see why anyone would buy the V6 outside of cost.
The V8 is overweight and not very efficient when compared to the new GM small block, Ford Coyote and even the previous generation GM small block.
But why change plugs because Chrysler couldnt put modern technology into on its engines. You change plugs three times in 100K miles and take a chance of stripping threads. I get 20to 22 mpg in everyday use where the V8 owner might get 16mpg. I dont tow so no need for a V8. The V8 is far far behind its other competitors from GM, Ford, Toyota, Renault/Nissan, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Jag/Land Rover and even Volvo in modern technology and efficiency. When I talk about efficiency I am not just just talking mpgs.

The Chrysler V8 is not even current generation technology and who knows where Chrysler is going to find the funds to develop an up to date V8 to that is the equal of many of its competitors.

The V6 does demonstrate Chrysler could build a modern all aluminum V8 that could compete with the V8 in 2014 Chevy pick up and Vette if it had the funds and didnt have to deal with Sergio "The Magnificent"
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #24
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Quote:
The V8 is overweight and not very efficient when compared to the new GM small block, Ford Coyote and even the previous generation GM small block.
But why change plugs because Chrysler couldnt put modern technology into on its engines. You change plugs three times in 100K miles and take a chance of stripping threads. I get 20to 22 mpg in everyday use where the V8 owner might get 16mpg. I dont tow so no need for a V8. The V8 is far far behind its other competitors from GM, Ford, Toyota, Renault/Nissan, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Jag/Land Rover and even Volvo in modern technology and efficiency. When I talk about efficiency I am not just just talking mpgs.

The Chrysler V8 is not even current generation technology and who knows where Chrysler is going to find the funds to develop an up to date V8 to that is the equal of many of its competitors.

The V6 does demonstrate Chrysler could build a modern all aluminum V8 that could compete with the V8 in 2014 Chevy pick up and Vette if it had the funds and didnt have to deal with Sergio "The Magnificent"
When you say it's "Behind in Techology and Efficiency" where exactly is it behind? It's class leading in HP, it's crazy reliable, and there are almost no V8s out there that get better mileage. Chevy doesn't make anything that comes close to what the V8 Cherokees is. The Terrain? LOL. C'mon now... If you're a Chevy Fan boy that's fine... but I've owned nothing but Chrysler products over the last 10 years and I drive my cars/suvs hard and they never let me down. I know 4 people with this Hemi over 150,000 miles driven hard and all they ever do is change the oil, guess what? Still running strong. So again I ask, what "Technology" is missing? It gets 20+ MPG on the highway and 15-18 in the city.. show me a 5500lb+ SUV that can do that reliablly with 390 HP and still climb up the side of a mountain., you can't.
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
KickRocks
2013 WK 

And BTW.. Looked up the weights, since that's a factor for you.

Overland V8 = 4955lbs via Jeep.com

V6 Laredo = 4533

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-ch...res-specs.html

So, 400lbs difference. Just guessing a lot of that weight has to do with options, IE: Quadra lift and metal plating on the bottom of the jeep that comes with the Overland. So what? 100lbs more? 150? Vs the pen v6? Hardly something to brag about...especially when you're saying the V8 is "overweight." I don't know about you. but I plan to use my jeep offroad and go camping etc. Which means loading it down with gear, adn then climbing up 10,000ft mountains. I'll take that extra 100 HP and not lose any ability. 290 loaded down up at elevation is going to struggle a lot more than the 390 will. So yeah, if your'e a commuter jeeper .. by all means you'd want taht V6 to idle in traffic with, but for utility off road and everyday use the V8 is the way to go .. even with 100-300lbs more.
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #26
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
loaded down up at elevation is going to struggle a lot more than the 390 will. So yeah, if your'e a commuter jeeper .. by all means you'd want taht V6 to idle in traffic with, but for utility off road and everyday use the V8 is the way to go .. even with 100-300lbs more.

The V6 packs enough power for going offroad. Ask anyone else here that has taken theirs offroad. I did a week long trip in the San Juans last year with 200-300 pounds of gear and not one thought of the V6 being incapable the entire time. Nor did it "struggle" at 12,000 Ft elevation. Further more mine (and everyone elses here) is my DD so I am not sure why the V8 is more suited for "everyday use". I do have a question. Do all Californians just drive up the side of a mountain or do they actually get out, backpack/camp, enjoy the ozone-free scenery? I didnt buy the V6 for MPG. I bought it because I didn't have the money to get the upgraded X package to get the V8. Wranglers are V6s factory and obviously they do just fine in their natural habitat. Your comparison doesn't hold water.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
The V6 packs enough power for going offroad. Ask anyone else here that has taken theirs offroad. I did a week long trip in the San Juans last year with 200-300 pounds of gear and not one thought of the V6 being incapable the entire time. Nor did it "struggle" at 12,000 Ft elevation. Further more mine (and everyone elses here) is my DD so I am not sure why the V8 is more suited for "everyday use". I do have a question. Do all Californians just drive up the side of a mountain or do they actually get out, backpack/camp, enjoy the ozone-free scenery? I didnt buy the V6 for MPG. I bought it because I didn't have the money to get the upgraded X package to get the V8. Wranglers are V6s factory and obviously they do just fine in their natural habitat. Your comparison doesn't hold water.
What doesn't hold water is the other guy claiming there's a lack of "Technology" with the V8.. that's just rediculous. There's no better V8 out there in this platform.

As for V6 offroad.. I never said it couldn't do anything offroad .. or would struggle, I just said the V8 will give much more power. When people build serious offroaders..do they take away power? or add it?

As for All Californians? I can't speak for all of them.. Im just one. I'm a pretty avid oudoorsman. I spend just about every weekend in the sticks somewhere..and take 1-2 long distance trips a month either to the sierras..local deserts or completely out of state. My preference being Southern Utah or North Central NM

On topic for the thread, all I'm getting at is it's rediculous to try to Discount the V8 to justify purchasing the V6. The V8 is way better in every way but MPG.. and most people buying Jeeps aren't really worried about MPG in the big picture anyway. If that were the case I would have bought a Prius. Just say you want to spend less money on the motor and still get everything else the new JC has to offer. Nothing wrong with that at all.. but it's stupid to say the new Hemi is no good.. it's pretty awesome, and proven to be. If the trade off is a few 100lbs and 1-2mpg for 100 more HP .. give me the V8 Hemi all day. Anyone that builds or raced cars knows it cost a fortune to gain a 100 HP out of most motors without using Nitrous.
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #28
Jackal01

2012 WK 

If I could have afforded the v8 I would have. I have never owned one but I think it is a great engine.

Good to see someone else take their wk2 offroad and actually get outdoors.

Unread 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #29
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post

Don't laugh. It's coming.......
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #30
RB145
2011 WK 

Quote:

GM and Ford don't even offer a V-8 in anything that would compete with the Grand Cherokee so they have nothing that you can compare with. It has been rumored that Chrysler does a V-8 under development so I really don't know where you get the idea that they don't have the funds??
Closed Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.