Highway Ride: Overland vs Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Highway Ride: Overland vs Limited

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Nomids
2012 WK 

Highway Ride: Overland vs Limited

Hello Everyone,

Over the past 2 years I've had 2 different jeeps: a 2011 Limited that was t-boned when the other driver ran a red light totaling the vehicle. That truck was replaced by a 2012 Overland.

I've had the Overland for about 8 months and the truck has about 20K miles on it. Most of my miles are highway miles and at least once a month we take it for a 500 mile round trip. During the first month of owning the Overland I noticed a difference in ride and stability vs the Limited. I've found that I greatly prefer the Limited's ride. The Overland ride seems less controlled. The truck seems to bounce and sway over uneven payment. I live on Long Island and the roads leading into NYC aren't maintained very well. In areas where the Limited could be driven at 75-80 MPH with some confidence I find that I'm driving the Overland slower. The Overland feels less connected to the road.

At first I thought all of this was in my head due to the accident, but after driving a friend's 2010 Laredo it has reenforced my belief that it's my truck's suspension or tires. The Overland is more prone to directional changes and body pitch than my friend's Laredo and my previous Limited. I have tried several different tire pressure settings in an attempt to change the ride. I have gone as high as 40PSI in all tires and as low as 34PSI. None of the pressure settings have improved the "seat of the pants" feeling.

I'd really like some input on this before I do something drastic like sell the truck. I've had zero problems with my QuadraLift complying with what I ask it to do: Up and down at the touch of a button, aero ride height engages around 65, and normal ride height is reengaged under that speed. The truck has some rake to it when I park it, but I've seen other trucks in parking lots that look about the same. I don't think the tires are out of balance or alignment. There is no shake on even pavement and the truck doesn't pull or drift in either direction.

Please allow me your thoughts.
-Tom

Nomids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
TAWS600

I personally think my limited rides like a truck. It has the 20's so u can feel every bump in the road. Personally I would probably like quadralift since it would soften the ride some. Either way, I know what u mean by being connected to the road. I know I am because I feel it.
TAWS600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

sorry if I missed this in your post but did your prior Limited have QL or just your newer Overland?

I had an '11 Laredo w/o Q L and now a '14 with QL and I would say the QL is fantastic on bumps/bad roads and handling is fine.

What tires are you running and size rims? Did your limited have 20's and now you have 18's?
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Nomids
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWS600 View Post
I personally think my limited rides like a truck. It has the 20's so u can feel every bump in the road. Personally I would probably like quadralift since it would soften the ride some. Either way, I know what u mean by being connected to the road. I know I am because I feel it.
I had 20's on my Limited as well. The Limited felt more solid and directionally stable... not as floaty at the Overland. The Overland also feels like it has more body pitch and roll.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

V8 or V6

V8 adds a couple hundred pounds to the front end. Also Overland probably adds at least another 100lbs over the Limited. V8 GCs weight distribution is different from a V6.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Justal13
2012 WK 

I would agree with the comment on the 20's vs the 18's for tire. Based on driving many GC's from our company fleet, I found that the ones with 20's rode "harder - firmer" on the highway, and on city streets the 20's were horrid - telegraphing every bump on rough side streets in particular. The 20's also tend to be hard to keep balanced, with many getting complaints of vibration in the 60-75 mph range. I personally blame the Goodyear tires, but have no experience with replacement 20's of other brands. My dealer commented during test-driving that complaints regarding the rough-riding 20's were common place. That is one of the largest reasons I purchased my 2012 Laredo X with 18's and Q1 to maximize mpg (the Q2 gets 1-2 mpg less based on many miles of driving our fleet GC's), "softer" ride with the 18's and avoiding the pano roof due to water leak and rattle/vibration/road noise complaints on our fleet units. None of our fleet units had the Q-Lift air suspension, so I cannot comment on that.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Nomids
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
sorry if I missed this in your post but did your prior Limited have QL or just your newer Overland?

I had an '11 Laredo w/o Q L and now a '14 with QL and I would say the QL is fantastic on bumps/bad roads and handling is fine.

What tires are you running and size rims? Did your limited have 20's and now you have 18's?

I didn't mention it in the last post, but my Limited had 20s. The Limited did not have QL. The Overland also has 20s. I don't know if it's the same brand of tires. My Overland has Goodyear Forteza HL 265/50R20. Can anyone else chime in here about the OEM tires on a 2011 Limited?
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Nomids
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
V8 adds a couple hundred pounds to the front end. Also Overland probably adds at least another 100lbs over the Limited. V8 GCs weight distribution is different from a V6.
Both trucks had V8 engines.
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
TAWS600

Same tires for 2011. The Goodyear forteras. So really the only variable for you is the quadralift.
TAWS600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Nomids
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWS600 View Post
Same tires for 2011. The Goodyear forteras. So really the only variable for you is the quadralift.
That's what I was thinking.

Could the ride between the 2 trucks really be this different? I've been wondering if something could be loose or broken that the dealer has overlooked. The truck is rattle free. No clunks or banging noises either.
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
kloubik
2014 WK 

I wonder if there ever was any development re the Moose Test. Even when repeated under supervision of people from Chrysler they popped the front tire 6 times out of 7 runs. I think the GC is very heavy and needs to loose some weight. 5400 lbs with the diesel for a 5 seat SUV with just an average trunk? That's crazy.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Weight distribution is 50/50 on the overland..
KickRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post
I wonder if there ever was any development re the Moose Test. Even when repeated under supervision of people from Chrysler they popped the front tire 6 times out of 7 runs. I think the GC is very heavy and needs to loose some weight. 5400 lbs with the diesel for a 5 seat SUV with just an average trunk? That's crazy.
That video is BS... all kinds of shenanigans going on with it
KickRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks View Post
Weight distribution is 50/50 on the overland..
That is not true. The weight distribution is different depending on the engine and none is 50/50. V8 and the diesel is heavier on the front end than the V6. Many reviews on the Diesel mentioned it drives/handles differently because of the very heavy front end.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Jeep says the 2012 Overland and limited V8 have a 54/46 split, V6 has a 52/48 split. An Overland V8 weights 5210 lbs, A limited V6 is 4850 lbs.

Many of us think the QL bounces a bit when pushed and loaded to the max.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2012/2012_wk...ifications.pdf

Ride is so subjective, some enjoy feeling the road and have some feedback on what the tires are doing, others want to ride on pillows and be totally isolated from the environment. Some like the way a truck rides... my 2006 Ram megacab with the Cummins had an excellent ride.

I was driving around the neighborhood today in ORA 1 height and kinda liked it. Nice firm ride, no roll.... but I digress...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.