HIDs on Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > HIDs on Laredo

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

HIDs on Laredo

I work at a Jeep dealer in Northern Virginia and I had an odd request today.

A customer came in liking all the features on the Limited, but hated the chrome. I suggested getting a loaded Laredo. All the options that stood out to him are available, except HIDs.

Can the projector headlamps and HID ballasts be retrofitted? My service technicians are yet to try and were wondering if anybody else had.

Past: '98 XJ Sport
Higgs98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs98XJ View Post
I work at a Jeep dealer in Northern Virginia and I had an odd request today.

A customer came in liking all the features on the Limited, but hated the chrome. I suggested getting a loaded Laredo. All the options that stood out to him are available, except HIDs.

Can the projector headlamps and HID ballasts be retrofitted? My service technicians are yet to try and were wondering if anybody else had.
I don't know for sure but in addition to the headlamps and HID Ballast there is also the question of power. HID use a lot of power, more than halogen headlamps (check the warning for replacing HID bulbs) so will new wiring etc. be required for HID conversion?
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
I don't know for sure but in addition to the headlamps and HID Ballast there is also the question of power. HID use a lot of power, more than halogen headlamps (check the warning for replacing HID bulbs) so will new wiring etc. be required for HID conversion?
Ya i assumed there would be additional wiring involved. I would hate to have a number of parts ordered only to have a short out or something after installation.

Someone have the balls to try it out? haha

Unread 03-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

He can get the chrome pieces removed (door handles and chrome mirrors) for less that the swap would cost probably. Just sell the limited and swap the chrome pieces with regular colored ones from a laredo. Then... add an addendum to the other Jeep for 25% of usual cost and call it a deal
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
He can get the chrome pieces removed (door handles and chrome mirrors) for less that the swap would cost probably. Just sell the limited and swap the chrome pieces with regular colored ones from a laredo. Then... add an addendum to the other Jeep for 25% of usual cost and call it a deal
Looked into it. Jeep sends chrome door handles and mirrors from the factory, standard. To swap the parts would be huge costs in parts and labor.

Unread 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The mirrors are just covers. There is a set of used silver ones from a member on here on ebay. He replaced the regular ones with chrome ones.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

ya i saw those. Guy is coming back in tonight. I'll see if he can deal with chrome handles with a second look.

Unread 02-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
arvindm
2012 WK 

Quote:
HID lamps do not use more power. They need a high voltage for a fraction of second to ignite the bulb. Once the bulb is ignited the power consumption falls dramatically. They typically consume 35 watts power compared to 55 watts in the halogen bulbs but provide 2-3 times more illumination at the correct color temperature (around 4000-5000k) . To offset the extra load on the stock wiring it is generally a good idea to run a harness directly from the battery via a relay switch so you dont toast the stock wiring or other electronics. The aftermarket HID kits definitely are brighter but people tend to get the blue and purple bulbs for the looks which beats the whole purpose of better visibility. At higher color temps (over 7000k) the light causes too much glare that it really should be made illegal. Hope this info helps.
arvindm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!!

For curiosity sake, any update on this?

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Nonaspirin
2012 WK 

The power of someone wrong on the interwebs compelled him. I've been corrected before and appreciate when it happens.
Nonaspirin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
Webb
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!!

For curiosity sake, any update on this?
Webb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Ya wow, I totally forgot about this. That guy never ended up buying. Kind of a waste of time.

If I was him, I would have bought a Laredo X, then spent the cash on a whole new headlight assembly from a Limited and address any needed wiring/power issues. Either that, or quit being so picky.

Unread 03-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs98XJ View Post
Ya wow, I totally forgot about this. That guy never ended up buying. Kind of a waste of time.

If I was him, I would have bought a Laredo X, then spent the cash on a whole new headlight assembly from a Limited and address any needed wiring/power issues. Either that, or quit being so picky.
Might as well just get a Limited if you plan on re-wiring and buying a whole new headlight assembly to get HID headlights anyway.
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

^ Truth.

Unread 03-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
bbmaize
2011 WK 

Quote:
Speaking of the Halogen lamps...why on earth did these get combined with the HID lights. Seems like it should have been one or the other not both. I would love to replace my Halogen running lamps with a light that matches my headlights - I hate the current look at night!
bbmaize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.