HID's - Aftermarket - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > HID's - Aftermarket

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 06-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
fljeepleo
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0mbatChris

Where did you buy them from?I cant spend a fortune on this, but I don't want something that will fail after the first year.
If you can't go Phillips then try the higher end kits on HIDextra.com. I put the kit in my wife's car over a year ago. I got the slim black ballast with the 5k bulb.

Hope this helps. There are many many many kits out there. Do some research and you'll find one that you'll like.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7, QD2
fljeepleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Just don't get anything higher than 5000k. Blue(6000k) and blue-ish looks like poop. So annoying seeing "wanna-be luxury cars" on the road with blue or purple head lights. Pure white is the best way to go and provides better visibility.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

I was planning on getting 5k bulbs. I'll check out the hidextra site and see what they have. Thanks for all the info.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
C0mbatChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase361 View Post
I have used DDM on my last 3 cars there great, never a issue and I will be doing the same thing you are bud. If you do this before me let me know how it goes and Ill do the same for you! I hope we can adjust the height of the beam on the GC I know there is a way with stock HID but idk about our headlights
chase, did you ever pull the trigger on this? If not, hopefully someone who has purchased from DDM can answer a few questions for me... I really want to get the DDM 35w Raptor kit, but don't know if they make a canbus version, if I even have to get that type. Also after looking at the DDM site again, it looks like the Raptor kits aren't on there anymore..

I looked on their website and it said under list of cars that have common problems:

- Jeep Grand Cherokee (Most years) May need a wiring harness

- Jeep Grand Cherokee (2011+): Fog lights - No HIDs, may melt the housing with 35w HID kit.

- Use the relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably.

My question is, is this "wiring harness" or "Relay harness" included in the kit or is it the "HID Harness" listed under options that is an extra $15?

Thanks!
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

XeonDepot has VERY nice kits. and plug and play for the H11 low beams even has the Canbus fix.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
SPL170db

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
XeonDepot has VERY nice kits. and plug and play for the H11 low beams even has the Canbus fix.
I know they have something that appears to work with the fogs lamps.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Jeep-Grand...ion-s/1262.htm

But does their kit ACTUALLY play nice with the low beam headlamps without causing issues with the CANBUS system?

http://www.KBcarstuff.com/H11-Xtreme...-p/xtp-h11.htm

I mounted plug-n-play HIDs in my old 2007 GC and it all went in no sweat, no flickering or warning lights. The WK2 seems a bit more finicky.

Another example here......???

http://www.xenonsupply.com/jeep-gran...xenon-kit.html

"Upgrade to our Premium CANBus Equipped 35W AC Digital Ballasts for the best in HID lighting technology. Eliminate Dash Warning Errors and HID flickering issues with increased light output, higher efficiency Premium Ballasts with an extended 5 year warranty."
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #22
tpollon2

4300K is actually brightest!
tpollon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #23
tpollon2

I have had the kbcarstuff in my 2010 Dodge 3500 for over 2yrs. Great product!
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #24
tpollon2

With all my research. I understand only do your Fog and Low beams in HID. Not all 3.
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #25
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollon2
With all my research. I understand only do your Fog and Low beams in HID. Not all 3.
I'm pretty sure that hid's will melt the housings for fog lights. The stock bulbs are like 24w. Anything higher will be too hot. So only low beams. From what I understood hid's aren't a good idea for brights because they need warm up time and aren't an instant on bright bulb.
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #26
SPL170db

I had the HIDs in both my lows and fogs in my 2007 WK, never had any heat issues with it.

Besides, halogen bulbs by their very nature are hotter than real xenons. That's part of how they produce light, they are very inefficient bulbs and a good majority of the energy they use is converted into infrared/radiant heat. What runs hotter and can melt housings are the fake xenon bulbs (higher wattage and color coated halogen bulbs).
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #27
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db
I had the HIDs in both my lows and fogs in my 2007 WK, never had any heat issues with it.
I think the housings on the new WK2's are thinner and more susceptible to the heat.
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #28
SPL170db

So does this seem legit then? It sounds like their kit should work in an non-OEM HID setup yes?

http://www.hidkitsblog.com/2011/04/0...th-an-hid-kit/

If I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like:

This: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme-Dig...-p/xtp-hid.htm
+
This: http://www.KBcarstuff.com/CANBUS-Fix-p/cbfix.htm

And you're good to go......possible throw these in a 5202 in the fogs and good to go? http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Volt-HID-D...-p/vdp-hid.htm
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #29
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

I've used DDM tuning on multiple occasions and they work great...HOWEVER don't do it unless you have projectors...if you install them on a normal halogen headlight housing with all the reflective mirrors you'll be lighting up an entire neighborhood. I did this once, drove home for 10 minutes and tore the whole system out. Had multiple brake checks, people honking and flashing at me, etc etc...

The height of the jeep will just make everything worse so think about it before getting one.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #30
fumanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki
I've used DDM tuning on multiple occasions and they work great...HOWEVER don't do it unless you have projectors...if you install them on a normal halogen headlight housing with all the reflective mirrors you'll be lighting up an entire neighborhood. I did this once, drove home for 10 minutes and tore the whole system out. Had multiple brake checks, people honking and flashing at me, etc etc...

The height of the jeep will just make everything worse so think about it before getting one.
I've had DDM kits in both of my SUV's for 6 months and have never had another driver do any of those to me. I'm sure though it happened to you in 10 min
fumanchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.