HID's - Aftermarket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > HID's - Aftermarket

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Wk HID's - Aftermarket

My 4x4 Laredo didn't come with HID's, and I want to add them. Has anyone done this? If so where did you get them? Were there any problems with flicker?

I did a search for hid, and hid head lights and came up with nothing, so sorry if this has been discussed. If it has, a link to the thread would be VERY helpful!

Thanks!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
C0mbatChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0mbatChris View Post
My 4x4 Laredo didn't come with HID's, and I want to add them. Has anyone done this? If so where did you get them? Were there any problems with flicker?

I did a search for hid, and hid head lights and came up with nothing, so sorry if this has been discussed. If it has, a link to the thread would be VERY helpful!

Thanks!
Its not cheap. You have to replace the headlight unit, install ballast, controller, ect.
In my opinion its not worth the cost. Your looking at over a grand to do it right. Or you could put those fake bulbs in that look bluish. A lot of rice burners have em'.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Richisinyoface
Buying and Building

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have Starr HID's in my wrangler, I used the H1 sealed beam and they fit right in, might want to check their site for your jeep. I have zero problems with flicker or anything else

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
f1anatic

The do it right part of refers HIDs refers to not blinding the incoming traffic as the aftermarket one is not going to have the self-leveling mechanism. The cost is cheap - under 100 dollars - nowhere near 1000. And they will be mounted inside your existing headlight, at most you'd have to buy new caps which you drill to get the wires out. New caps may run 5-10 bucks each. But if you go that route, you will need to re-align your headlights at the very least. There is no flicker there is more light output, they are reliable, they will last you 2-3 years per set/bulb, you can get them in the 4000 K range so they will look OEM, they will come with ballasts, controllers, harnesses, everything but the self-balancing mechanism which is a function of the headlight mechanism.

The other lesser option for headlights would be updated German bulbs like OSRAM (NOT Sylvannia) Rallye 65W or Narva Range Power.
http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html (you will find both on this site).
f1anatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Thanks for the info. Have any of you actually done this? I had to adjust the height of the beam when I put a set in my old Dodge Avenger, so I definitely won't be blinding others. That's just common courtesy lol.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1anatic View Post
The do it right part of refers HIDs refers to not blinding the incoming traffic as the aftermarket one is not going to have the self-leveling mechanism. The cost is cheap - under 100 dollars - nowhere near 1000. And they will be mounted inside your existing headlight, at most you'd have to buy new caps which you drill to get the wires out. New caps may run 5-10 bucks each. But if you go that route, you will need to re-align your headlights at the very least. There is no flicker there is more light output, they are reliable, they will last you 2-3 years per set/bulb, you can get them in the 4000 K range so they will look OEM, they will come with ballasts, controllers, harnesses, everything but the self-balancing mechanism which is a function of the headlight mechanism.

The other lesser option for headlights would be updated German bulbs like OSRAM (NOT Sylvannia) Rallye 65W or Narva Range Power.
http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html (you will find both on this site).
Under $100 for a HID conversion kit including new wiring harness and bulbs? No way. Maybe under $100 if you just replace the stock halogens with Silverstars or some equivalent "whiter" bulb.
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superserialMBP

Under $100 for a HID conversion kit including new wiring harness and bulbs? No way. Maybe under $100 if you just replace the stock halogens with Silverstars or some equivalent "whiter" bulb.
I had been looking at a kit from DDM Tuning. It's called the Raptor Full Size 35w HID kit. It includes two ballasts, wiring harness and bulbs. Its like $65 plus shipping and tax. I don't know much about these kits, but in 2008 I bought a similar no name brand set from China off of E-Bay and they are still working in my Avenger. (My wife drives it now.)
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1anatic View Post

http://store.candlepower.com/trabhidki.html
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
chase361

I have used DDM on my last 3 cars there great, never a issue and I will be doing the same thing you are bud. If you do this before me let me know how it goes and Ill do the same for you! I hope we can adjust the height of the beam on the GC I know there is a way with stock HID but idk about our headlights
chase361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase361
I have used DDM on my last 3 cars there great, never a issue and I will be doing the same thing you are bud. If you do this before me let me know how it goes and Ill do the same for you! I hope we can adjust the height of the beam on the GC I know there is a way with stock HID but idk about our headlights
I'm leaning towards DDM, but I'm worried about the flicker. I am also wondering about the difference between the 35w and 55w. As far as I know the stock wiring is for 55w on the GC. Can anyone confirm or know about 35w vs 55w??
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
fljeepleo
2011 WK 

35w is much more reliable than 55w as far as longevity in aftermarket HID. You will need a canbus with the grandcherokees to avoid the headlight out warning light and also the flicker. No relay is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7, QD2
fljeepleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepleo
35w is much more reliable than 55w as far as longevity in aftermarket HID. You will need a canbus with the grandcherokees to avoid the headlight out warning light and also the flicker. No relay is necessary.

Does the canbus plug in the same way as a normal bulb? Does it plug in to the firewall or something? This is the first I've heard of a canbus HID system...
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
fljeepleo
2011 WK 

The can bus is usually an option when you order these kits die to many cars requiring then. Most can bus module are built into the ballast. Most quality kits will plug directly into the stock wiring harness. They make these kits very user friendly and is a very easy do it yourself project. The quality of color comes with a price though. The whiter the light you want the more your gonna pay for it. If you want OEM color then I would go with a Phillips bulb.

I have done many kits in different vehicles, I even put a set in my John Deer tractor. I have learned that you get what you pay for.

Unread 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
fljeepleo
2011 WK 

I wouldn't go above 5k on the color temperature.

Unread 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepleo
I have done many kits in different vehicles, I even put a set in my John Deer tractor. I have learned that you get what you pay for.
Where did you buy them from?I cant spend a fortune on this, but I don't want something that will fail after the first year.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.