Hi from Canada - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Hi from Canada

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
engjeep
2012 WK 

Hi from Canada

HI, Nice to be here. I bought a new 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited at the end of December, so I thought I'd see what forums are around, and here I am. I though I would see if anybody else is having similar problems to me, and what they did, if anything about it. The Jeep's a nice looking vehicle, but very disapointed with the quality considering the cost. At 2700 Km I had all 4 sets of rotors and pads replaced, and a new set of headlights because of condesation in the original ones, and the new ones now have condensation in them, and to top it all off, i've already got rust coming through on 5 body panels and the chrome trim on the doors and rear hatch. So it does not look good, already regretting the purchase. My Wife has a Chrysler Sebring and I swore I'd never buy another Chrysler product based on that, I guess I should have listed to myself. Is the Jeep prone to any other problems I should know about? It has the 5.7 Hemi (bad mistake), which is super thirsty as it makes my C6 Corvette look like a Hybrid. I got the 20" rims which look sharp, but the dealership damaged them getting them off to do the brakes, try and prove that one. Generally I'm not a happy camper with it, I just hope it gets better, and I don't have a continual fight with the dealership.

Cheers
Glyn

engjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Sorry to hear about your experience.
I guess those annoyances would get to me too.

The good thing is that none of those things are really reliability issues, get on them about those issues so you can enjoy your purchase.

About the the Hemi; The Hemi is not a good city motor.

Lucky for you that Petrocan in Hampton has the cheapest fuel around.

Welcome to the forum,

Let us know how you make out.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
BigM-740
2011 WK 

Where did you buy your GC from ? Durham or Menzies ?
BigM-740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
poomobile
2011 WK 

I bet your rust problem are road filings getting stuck in the clear coat. Get a clay bar kit and see if that works...no way that truck is rusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engjeep View Post
HI, Nice to be here. I bought a new 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited at the end of December, so I thought I'd see what forums are around, and here I am. I though I would see if anybody else is having similar problems to me, and what they did, if anything about it. The Jeep's a nice looking vehicle, but very disapointed with the quality considering the cost. At 2700 Km I had all 4 sets of rotors and pads replaced, and a new set of headlights because of condesation in the original ones, and the new ones now have condensation in them, and to top it all off, i've already got rust coming through on 5 body panels and the chrome trim on the doors and rear hatch. So it does not look good, already regretting the purchase. My Wife has a Chrysler Sebring and I swore I'd never buy another Chrysler product based on that, I guess I should have listed to myself. Is the Jeep prone to any other problems I should know about? It has the 5.7 Hemi (bad mistake), which is super thirsty as it makes my C6 Corvette look like a Hybrid. I got the 20" rims which look sharp, but the dealership damaged them getting them off to do the brakes, try and prove that one. Generally I'm not a happy camper with it, I just hope it gets better, and I don't have a continual fight with the dealership.

Cheers
Glyn
poomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

I had the same issue. Bring back. They will change the trim for free. If you go to Dufferin and Highway 401 in Toronto you will see hundreds of Chrysler vehicles sitting out in the elements. That area is used as an overflow storage for new vehicles. They sit there for months.

IMO this practise contributes to those issues . I imagine these trims will rust again in the near future.
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
69moparman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher View Post
I had the same issue. Bring back. They will change the trim for free. If you go to Dufferin and Highway 401 in Toronto you will see hundreds of Chrysler vehicles sitting out in the elements. That area is used as an overflow storage for new vehicles. They sit there for months.

IMO this practise contributes to those issues . I imagine these trims will rust again in the near future.
I have never seen plastic rust.
Your body panels are warranted against perforation for something like 5 years.
See your dealer.
Whenever I see another GC in a parking lot or on the street, I check it out for possible ideas on mods. I've never seen any with condensation in the headlights. you've got a one-of-a-kind truck there.
69moparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
69moparman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher View Post

...................or maybe you got a flood vehicle ?????
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69moparman View Post
Your body panels are warranted against perforation for something like 5 years.
See your dealer.
Whenever I see another GC in a parking lot or on the street, I check it out for possible ideas on mods. I've never seen any with condensation in the headlights. you've got a one-of-a-kind truck there.

The limited has chrome decorative strips around the windows. These strips can rust.
My dealer replaced two of mine already.
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69moparman View Post
They do discolor when exposed to harsh road chemicals, however. Mine are spotty.
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
69moparman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
They do discolor when exposed to harsh road chemicals, however. Mine are spotty.
Ya, I have aftermarket mirror covers and handle covers on my Laredo, and they got spotted from road salt. I cleaned them with Maguires Swirl Remover. They look like new again.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
orp0408
2012 WK 

My 2012 Overland that i just bought in October is doing the same rust thing on the body panels? Spackles of rust everywhere, what did the dealership say about it? I'm taking mine in on Tuesday to see what they say.
orp0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Trailguide
2012 WK 

This is a re-post.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.