Hemi spark plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Hemi spark plugs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

Hemi spark plugs

I Just realized I'm supposed to change out the spark plugs as part of the 32k mile servicing per the manual. Has anyone done this yet?

What should I expect the dealer to charge for this?

UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All I can say is with 16 of them, can't be cheap...
I plan on doing mine, but mine's got a ways to go.
Keep us posted.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

Dealer quoted $299 for the spark plugs and installation.

That strikes me as high but I dont really have anything to compare it to... Anyone else?
Unread 07-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

Actually $269 with my 10% mopar coupon.
Unread 07-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
pilottim

Use coupon code A123 at Advance Auto Parts and get 16 NGK iridium plugs for $70, take an hour and a half and save yourself $200.
pilottim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

I have never changed spark plugs before... I'm not going to risk my doing something wrong and screwing something up over $200.
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Webb
2012 WK 

What if we buy them and take to the dealer,will the price be cheaper ?
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

.......I have a wj with a 4.0 straight six not a wk2 but still changing the spark plugs is not very complicated what so ever....... just unscrew it out......and put the new one in nice and tight and repeat for all the other plugs, nothing to really screw up
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

Do you have to disconnect the battery first?
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

no you dont, but I guess it can't hurt
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Sprintfan95
2011 WK 

Before I got my Jeep I owned a 2006 Charger with the Hemi. I changed the spark plugs myself and it could not have been easier. They are right on the top of the engine, just remove the coil packs and pull them out. That being said, I don't know if it is just as easy for a Jeep. I have the V6 now and don't have a hemi to look at. If it is the same plugs the reason you replace them every 30K is because they are the cheap ones. I bought a set for the charger for about 30 bucks. I would imagine they are the same plugs.
Sprintfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCjeepWK2 View Post
I have never changed spark plugs before... I'm not going to risk my doing something wrong and screwing something up over $200.
if you enough knowledge to work a screwdriver, you can change a spark plug. put a wrench on the old plug, twist it until it comes out, reverse procedure for new one. setting the gap of the plug is pretty easy with the $.50 tool at any hardware store. The only slightly challenging thing would be torque settings, but tight plus a little bit more twisting always seemed to work for me.

How can someone never change a spark plug? Have you ever had a lawn mower or weed wacker, or anything with an engine?
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
if you enough knowledge to work a screwdriver, you can change a spark plug. put a wrench on the old plug, twist it until it comes out, reverse procedure for new one. setting the gap of the plug is pretty easy with the $.50 tool at any hardware store. The only slightly challenging thing would be torque settings, but tight plus a little bit more twisting always seemed to work for me.

How can someone never change a spark plug? Have you ever had a lawn mower or weed wacker, or anything with an engine?
Actually you can screw up changing a spark plug. You can cross thread on installation and over torque. Back in the day I used to like to start by hand but now I use the spark plug socket on a extension to start after putting the correct antiseize on threads if required. One started I then torque o specs.
Other issues can come from not removing the spark plug boot correctly. Biggest problems I have encountered is some fool over torquing the plugs.
Dont forget the correct antiseize if required
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #14
l8tapex
2012 WK 

Agree above.
Yes. While changing a plug is easy ( unless its like my Supercharged HD F150) make sure your use a spark plug wrench not any wrench. pick up a gap set from AZ when you get plugs. I do use never seize, just me. Always hand thread if possible softly and turn a few rounds.This allows you to square the plug and softly find the threads. Most people over tighten plugs! There is a torque set but nice a snug and solid stop should do. Not cranked on period.
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Actually you can screw up changing a spark plug. You can cross thread on installation and over torque. Back in the day I used to like to start by hand but now I use the spark plug socket on a extension to start after putting the correct antiseize on threads if required. One started I then torque o specs.
Other issues can come from not removing the spark plug boot correctly. Biggest problems I have encountered is some fool over torquing the plugs.
Dont forget the correct antiseize if required
spark plugs are no more prone to cross thread than any other screw. Even my 10 year old knows how to put a screw into something without jacking up the threads.

Seriously though - changing plugs, changing air filters, changing oil, air in the tires, checking other fluids, etc... is car owning 101. I think everyone should know the basics in case something happens.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.