Help me decide! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Help me decide!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
asorr1

Help me decide!

Hello Everyone, I'm Anthony and new here!

This might be the wrong section to ask this so if it is, I apologize!

Recently I have fallen in love with the 2014 limited and was hoping to lease one the end of this year staying around $450 a month with 0 down (if that's even possible) but here is my dilemma. I have been noticing Wrangler Unlimiteds....a lot and all of a sudden. I used to think all I wanted was the Grand Cherokee but for some reason I cant keep my eyes off Wranglers.

So what my question is, do you think if I went with the GC that I would be missing the Wrangler? or would the Interior of the GC alone make me even wonder why I ever wanted a wrangler in the first place?

asorr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Depends on what you'll be using it to do. Rock crawling=Wrangler; everything else=Grand Cherokee.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
asorr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Depends on what you'll be using it to do. Rock crawling=Wrangler; everything else=Grand Cherokee.
Absolutely no rock crawling and very, very little off roading unless I were to actually travel somewhere with the car itself as, atleast to my knowledge, there are no trails near me here in CT

I just love the look, I think the fact that the roof is removable is what is really doing it for me.
Unread 06-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
oldmac1
2014 WK 

To me the Wrangler is a superb off road machine and a okay highway machine that is it. The GC is a superb highway machine and a decent off road machine. So if you drive mostly highway I would say the CG, if you want some off road fun the answer is the Wrangler. Just cannot go wrong with either it is just personal choice in how much comfort you want vs fun. Good luck on your decision.

14 GC Overland
12 Liberty
08 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
kagmcp1
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asorr1
Absolutely no rock crawling and very, very little off roading unless I were to actually travel somewhere with the car itself as, atleast to my knowledge, there are no trails near me here in CT I just love the look, I think the fact that the roof is removable is what is really doing it for me.
I would check out the Wrangler on how it is getting and out of it. What seems like no big deal initially can turn into a grind on a daily driver. If you are not going off road with the Wrangler then you better be happy with how it will be as a daily driver. If you don't put that many miles on your rigs then it becomes less of an issue. I looked at the possibility of getting a Wrangler but towing is a requirement for me and I had to drop that idea so I never got in one to even see how it was. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the Wrangler doesn't have as an extensive "goodie" list as the GC. For sure the Wrangler doesn't come with the xenon headlights with the led drl. Isn't it great to have such awesome choices? The 8 speed tranny on the GC seems to be working great now on the later builds. Mine is. Another thing to consider.
kagmcp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

I've owned both, 2012 Wrangler unlimited/Sport and traded it in for 2014 G.C. Limited. Wrangler was good and drove it from AZ. to WA. but lot's of wind resistance, harsh ride compared to the G.C. same Pentastar v-6 but with different auto tranny, best milage ever was 20 mpg. Reason traded, thought I would use the Wrangler off road more, me living in the AZ. desert area but most type of off roading I did was not anything real difficult and that I used to do with my 06 Libby. Both are great, but really different type of handling and ride. If you are going to do any serious towing, go with the hemi or diesel, both very good performance.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

I know of many friends and colleagues who were in the same predicament you are in.

That is... they wanted Wranglers.

Most of them did go out and get Wranglers.

Thing is, most just kept them for about 2 years on average.

They do have good resale so in you can resell and get a 2017 JGC in 2 years.

I've had my WK2 for two years now and I still love it.

By the way, the Wranglers are getting a redesign next year.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
b-kul
2011 WK 

It sounds like you would be happier in the JGC.
b-kul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
polizei

Well, for me...I drive mostly highway as a daily driver, I wanted the space and luxury of the SUV, and after riding in my buddies JK (stock), I'm glad I did. I was looking at a stock JK Unlimited, and they run just as much as the GC, no thanks!

If you're wanting a little bit of "both worlds" you can do what some of us have done, add the lift and tires! There's also more if you plan to wheel more, skid plates, roof racks, winches, bumper guard, etc. etc. Really it just depends how much on-road vs. off-road you'll be doing.

Also, FWIW, for a 2014 the average price is ~4% below invoice, with the best being 6% net. I'm leasing mine, which is a 14' Limited 4x4 v6 with the 8.4A radio as the only option. 36m lease with 15k/year is $480/month. 10k/year should be roughly $420/month. I'll end up buying mine out though, so far I love this thing!
Unread 06-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2008 and 2013 Wrangler and a 2013 Grand Cherokee. The Wranglers are more "fun" from an overall standpoint; doors and top off most of the year here in CA. Grand Cherokee is better on long trips: softer ride, better seats, more creature comforts.

Based on your described use; I'd say it's an easy choice: Grand Cherokee.
DangFoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
asorr1

Wow thank you everyone for the responses. Did I mention I haven't driven either yet? I think I was always leaning towards the GC because of the fact that my commute is 15 miles both ways to work and its all back roads so I think the comfort aspect of it is what's doing it for me. As much as I love the Wrangler, I think my safest bet is the GC. I just needed some reassurance.

I will test drive both very soon to make my final decision but I think with everyone's help, I already have.
Unread 06-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
kkreit01

Both will probably frequent the service bay. When I dropped mine off this morning at 7:00, that's all I saw -- were Wranglers, and WK2s lined up -- and 1 Journey in the mix. They are 2 different vehicles. Drive them both. Even with the step bars, the Wrangler looks like a large step in. I love them as well, but I don't think I'd ever want one as a daily driver, and they're not great for long-distance freeway either.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher View Post
By the way, the Wranglers are getting a redesign next year.
Maybe. Most of the recent rumors are no major changes till MY2017

Depends on what you are doing for sure.

If you do a lot of highway driving, GC no question. Beating around town, JK no question.

JK is a box and the first slightly windy day you'll hate driving it on the Highway, plus its kinda squirly. Around town JK is slightly smaller and has a fantastic turning radius.

Wrangler is a horrible highway vehicle. I know, I owned for 4 years.
chowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
DontLookDown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The GC would be something that, for the most part, you would just buy and leave 'as is'. There is however endless aftermarket support for the wrangler if you are looking for something to modify.

The fit and finishes of the grand cherokee are above it's class, we definatly can't complain about or 2012 Laredo-X package. Never had a problem with anything on it.
DontLookDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

I have both and if I had to have only one, it would be the Grand Cherokee. The Wrangler is fun, but I wouldn't want to drive it everywhere and the Grand Cherokee, I would

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.