Heated Steering Wheel not working - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Heated Steering Wheel not working

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 12-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #16
i20sailor
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymch View Post
Sorry, but that sounds like some BS to me. If that was the case then your heated seats wouldn't work.
Not necessarily since there are separate control circuits in one module. The wheel heater is commanded on and I can hear the relay click, but it turns of again immediately. So, the issue is somewhere in the feedback circuits that will turn the heater off. First wheel supposedly had an open heater. I don't think they measured the heater resistance this time assuming that a second bad heater is unlikely. My thought currently is that the module has an issue and leads to failure of the wheel heater (i.e. overtemp), since both wheels did work for some time.

i20sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #17
2kg4u
2014 WK 

If there is a short in the circuit, from a burned out heating element for example, the relay will cycle on and then off in 3 seconds or so when it detects the short. Could be the steering wheel, but why did the new one fail after one week? Could be the controller, but why did changing the steering wheel get it to work?

Can't wait to hear the outcome of this one. My money is on a defective controller.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
moymch
2013 WK 

Waiting to hear what the fix is. I hope it gets resolved.
moymch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #19
i20sailor
2014 WK 

Update:
Heated seat controller finally came in yesterday. Installed and still not working. Per Chrysler, steering column controller should be replaced next. Dealer found one and installed. Called to say all is working well. When I picked up the car, it was NOT working. I don't get how they can say that it tested functional when it clearly does not work.

So, back to square 1. I still think that one of the controllers was the culprit, but it damaged the heating element in the wheel in both wheels.
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20sailor View Post
Update:
I still think that one of the controllers was the culprit, but it damaged the heating element in the wheel in both wheels.
What a saga. You may be right, and now that both controllers have been replaced the second steering wheel needs to be replaced.

Good luck.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
i20sailor
2014 WK 

Update:
Checked the steering wheel and all seems OK. Best guess now is that there is a wiring issue somewhere. Dealer will pick up car on Jan 2 and drop off a loaner. At least they are trying to be customer friendly.
Unread 01-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #22
i20sailor
2014 WK 

Update:
Dealer found spread pin in a connector between seat heating module and wheel. Seems fixed for now.

They came and picked the Jeep up and left me another car to drive while they worked on it.
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #23
i20sailor
2014 WK 

Update again:

Heater stopped working less than 24 hours after being "fixed" for the 4th time. Dealer is scratching his head...
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
StrikersCA

I had this happen to me during the winter of 2012... The dealership messed around for a while and first replaced the control module and then went on and looked at some other things and ended up replacing the steering wheel saying the heating element in the steering wheel was defective and had caused the issue... Either way, got a new steering wheel and control module. It seems as if they replaced both thus far?
StrikersCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #25
x98boardwell
2012 WK 

My drivers heated seat just stopped working. It has similar symptoms to yours where the switch lights up for a couple seconds and the shuts off. The passenger side seat and heated steering wheels both work fine. Mine is a 12' Overland. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,
Bryan

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.