Headlight Condensation on 2011 JGC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlight Condensation on 2011 JGC

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 12-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
tunes2468

Headlight Condensation on 2011 JGC

I just purchased a 2011 JGC 2 days ago. I've notice the front headlights have moisture trapped inside sometimes. Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal?

Any input is greatly appropriated.

Thanks!

tunes2468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
JTS97Z28

Sounds like they might have not been sealed up properly. You should not get condensation build uP in brand new headlights. I'm sure they would replace them under warranty. Atleast I would hope.

James
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
daleklotz
2011 WK 

I have not seen this on my 2011, but my wife's Audi had it occur on both lights and their service bulletin stated it was a faulty or clogged vent. It's possible it's the same on the Jeep units and you have a vent that was manufactured with a flaw or not installed properly. I have no idea where to look for the vent - sorry.

In any case it's not normal and should be fixed.
daleklotz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I would def. get it sealed properly or replaced. After a couple years it will start to haze badly.... seen FREQUENTLY in the WJ's
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
JTS97Z28

^^^ preferably replaced as the sealing occurrs in the actual manufacturing process with special adhesives. Headlights do have small vents but it's not something you can clean or even access. They need to be replaced.

James
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
tunes2468

Thanks everyone. I noticed it while I was still at the dealer right after they washed it so I'm thinking its not sealed up, although I cant see anything visible. The service department was closed at that time, so I will bring it back and have them replace.

Thanks again!
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
tunes2468

Oh, and daleklotz i have it in both headlight as well, so maybe it could be a vent problem. I will have them check that as well.
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
exl_ent_v6
2013 WK 

Hi guys,
Any update on this old topic? Curious because I picked up a 2013 GC Overland and it has condensation in both headlamps. Dealer said it would clear up on its own but it's been a few days and I don't like it. Curious to get your input...
-'10 Nissan Maxima SV (lease ended)
-'07 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (lease ended)
-'00 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Daytona 500 (traded-in)
-'98 Pontiac Firebird W68 (traded-in)
-'96 Chevrolet Camaro RS (totaled)
exl_ent_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
Nonaspirin
2012 WK 

Have you left the lights on for any amount of time? Try leaving your high beams on for a bit. Should dry it up pretty quick then just worry if it comes back again
Nonaspirin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
exl_ent_v6
2013 WK 

ill try that
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
JeepCares

from the 2013 WK FSM:

STANDARD PROCEDURE - FRONT LAMP UNIT MOISTURE CLEARING
Some customers may report that on occasion, vehicle exterior lamp assemblies are fogged with a light layer of condensation on the inside of the lenses. This may be reported after the lamps have been turned on and brought up to operating temperature, turned off, and then rapidly cooled by cold water (such as rain, or the water from a car wash). Lens fogging can also occur under certain atmospheric conditions after a vehicle has been parked outside overnight (i.e., a warm humid day followed by clear cool night). This will usually clear as atmospheric conditions change to allow the condensation to change back into a vapor. Turning the lamps on will usually accelerate this process.

A lamp that exhibits condensation/fogging should be evaluated in a service bay environment by first drying all water from the outside surface of the lens and operating the lamp for 20 minutes. If the condensation/fogging has begun to clear from the lamp lens after 20 minutes with the lamps operating, this indicates the lamp sealing has not been breached, and the lamp does not need to be replaced.

If the condensation/fogging has not begun to clear after 20 minutes with the lamps operating, or the lamp has large amounts of water droplets visible on most internal surfaces, this indicates a problem with the lamp sealing that has allowed water to enter the lamp. In this instance, the customer is also likely to report that moisture in the lamp is always present and never disappears. A lamp that exhibits internal moisture permanently should be replaced.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
exl_ent_v6
2013 WK 

Thanks Lee! It has been crappy rainy, foggy, snowy weather since I got the Jeep so I'll wait until the weather clears up and then try running the headlights on for 20 minutes to see if it helps.
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
exl_ent_v6
2013 WK 

UPDATE: The condensation appears to be gone for now. Went away on its own I'm guessing when the weather cleared up or possibly during some long commutes home at night. I'll be keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't keep reappearing.
Unread 08-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #14
kryogen

well sorry to bring this back from the dead, but my 2011 overland has this too. been raining bit yesterday, but seriously, why is there moisture in there? arent they sealed?

I fear that this might affect the leveling systems in there, etc. bixenon.

How the hell can a sealed headlamp with silica packets inside fog when it gets cold outside?

What should I do? not under warranty anymore.
kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.