Headlight Allignment - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlight Allignment

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 09-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #31
HoustonRider

I'm subscribing to this thread. Just drove to station outside my neighborhood about 2 miles away and on normal ride height the top of my headlight beams are a few feet above stop signs, and I am illuminating trees all the way down the street. If I raise the jeep, the beams shine higher. Aero mode the look normal to me.

I did have a guy the other night that intentionally let me pass and got behind me and hit the brights. I'm guessing mine are not working right either.

The lights go down then up ( or whatever) when u start it up. But definitely not adjusting correctly.

Sent from my '12 JGC Overland Summit 4x4 Hemi using JeepForum

Unread 09-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #32
bclemons
2012 WK 

proper aiming technique:

find a flat surface that you can adjust with. A good area is a truck loading dock.
move the car until it just about touches the wall. Put some tape where the lights hit. back up the car 25ft. Use a tape measure. place another piece of tape 2-1/2 inches below the first pieces of tape and aim your lights to the lower piece of tape. Done, this is the DOT specs. The DOT specs allow 2in to 3in so I always use 2-1/2in. In aero mode the whole car moves down about 1-1/2 inches so you will get some reduced visibility but it should still be in specs. If the aero mode is lowering the angle too much try aiming your lights more toward the 2in mark first and the see if the aero mode is better. Also aim your fog lights the same way. It will improve your overall lighting.
bclemons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #33
RichWK2
2012 WK 

WK2 HID headlights too high / low resolved and fixed

The dealer service manager and tech tried to convince me everything was working normal, but did perform an Air Suspension Computer Module (ASCM) TSB 08-034-12 Flash since it was available. Flash was released 5/10/12 which was after I took posession of my WK2 in March. After the TSB Flash, my headlights were now too low in both normal and aero/sport modes - gee, thanks guys! I verified that the tech did not turn the adjustment screws - so the air suspension vehicle cant angle must have changed! I raised both headlights myself and compared the two modes. I'm glad to report that both modes illuminate nearly an identical swath of road. The normal mode is a short distance further due to the higher vehicle height, but not vastly different as was the case prior to the flash. Afterwards thinking about the root cause, the Quadra-Lift appears to be the culprit with varying front to back cant angles between the two modes. I never got around to measuring the difference, but that would have been my next step in attempting to resolve. I was sceptical that this TSB Flash would work since it didn't specifically mention this symptom, but then again, not all minor bugs are identified in sw revisions. I'm pleasantly surprised and happy!
RichWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #34
Saltriverfolk
2013 WK 

2013 W2K Headlights Too High - Quadra Lift Suspension

I have a new 2013 Limited with the Off-Road II package and my headlights are blinding oncoming drivers. I followed the aiming procedure on Daniel Stern Lighting's web page but the Distance to Measure Downward is different for USDOT VOL, VOR or VO headlamps. I am unable to locate any headlamp type marks on my Limited's headlamps. I dropped the beams about 6" at 25' using the manual adjustment screw but they still appear to be blinding oncoming drivers. I've got them close to the most downward adjustment limit. There are what appear to be small 1/8" aiming circles on the headlamps that show a small dimple in the projection on the wall.
Does anyone know what USDOT type headlamps are in the 2013 WK2? Is the Quadra-Lift Air suspension and its interaction with the headlight control module the culprit. Have not visited the dealer yet. How many feet in front of the vehicle should the low beams project outward?

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Saltriverfolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #35
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

New headlamps have a tendency to glare, which may be what the oncoming drivers are complaining about. Many here have experienced that complaint which subside after the first month or so. Dirty headlights will also glare.

On the other hand, you could have a defective housing.
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #36
boyvan
2012 WK 

My left light was stuck when I bought it brand new. Right side has always been leveling at start-ups. Dealer fixed the left side....I think they changed the whole left unit since it was under warranty. Haven't had any issues with it since. I wasn't brighted at all. Well....maybe once when the oncoming car was a low rider.....I wonder if I had lifted WK2 to the highest ride setting and then that car would have gone under mine

Anyways....my question is that.... while driving should I see the difference when the headlights are leveling? How fast / reaction time is for the lights to level? Should it be that obvious to notice it being adjusted while driving?

None of my friends have WK2 so I can't compare it with anyone else.
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
NoDistortion
2013 WK 

If you have autolevel headlights this will fix your wagon. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231093954981...witem=&vxp=mtr
NoDistortion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #38
The_Fox_says

This seems like the best thread to ask. Is it possible to replace the stock 2011 headlights with the 2013 HID head lights?
The_Fox_says is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #39
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fox_says View Post
This seems like the best thread to ask. Is it possible to replace the stock 2011 headlights with the 2013 HID head lights?
I'd be interested in the opposite. Can you replace the 2009 HID lamps with auto leveling with the standard, non HID lamps? I'm having way too many problems with the auto leveling system it makes it impossible to drive at night.
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #40
Saltriverfolk
2013 WK 

I agree and would like to replace the Zenon lamps on my 2013 WK2 with a dimmer bulb. Does anyone have suggestions?
Saltriverfolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #41
NoDistortion
2013 WK 

After putting the lift on my 2013 my headlights were wayyy to high. My Jeep has the auto leveling headlights. I put together a solution that takes 10 minutes to install and makes them adjustable. I'm selling them on ebay right now to help out other people that are having the same problem. You can see it here http://www.ebay.com/itm/231098595057...84.m1555.l2649
NoDistortion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You found the OEM adjustments not to be sufficient, so these provide extended range ? Is that the same height sensor used for QL or does QL use a different sensor?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.