Headlight Allignment - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlight Allignment

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
weebs74
2011 WK 

ermatte and akelley....ya'll rock. That is great work! I have spoken with the dealership about my ipod issue and the answer I got was so worthless that I can't even imagine what they would do with this one! Thanks so much for the great work and f/u.

Unread 09-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
Cochon
2012 WK 

Super shots -- thanks!
Cochon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
oldmac1
2014 WK 

Thanks for the tip and how to pictures.
15 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #19
brew1

Great thread. We had a similar issue with our 2008 GC Overland Diesel last in July 2010. Dealer replaced the rear axle sensor for some $ since it was out of warranty and all was good for about 9 months then the same story again, headlights come on and auto-level too low, high beams are fine. Latest diagnosis is the HID sensor module that controls leveling. About $900 with labor to replace.

I think I'll try manually adjusting the lights when they are in the low bean position and see if it works for our 2008.

Anyone able to confirm if the auto-leveling lights can be adjusted via software programming via software adjustment? I have a ROSS-TECH unit that I use for adjusting my 2003 Jetta TDI that I have also used to pull and reset codes on the GC when replacing glow plugs. Just wondering.

Thanks for the great post.

Mark
brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
brew1

Worked great.

However, the 2008 GC Overland CRD autoleveling HID headlights have a white plastic allen head adjustment that was easily accessible on top the headlight assembly.

This manual adjustment is the next best thing to replacing the autoleveling headlights with the standard fixed headlights. Something I would do in a heartbeat if I could do so without screwing with all the electronics that are tied into it.
brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
TysonTDW
2011 FSJ Cherokee 

Same problem for me, thanks for the solution, awesome site!
TysonTDW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #22
TShooter1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermatthe View Post
Thanks! I will try this as soon as I get home today.

ecupip, sounds like you need to do the same thing, just adjust them down.
to raise UP - Clockwise? or Counter - Clockwise?
TShooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
JMP8562

Thanks for the EASY fix AND to raise UP - Clockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermatthe View Post
Okay, I got it! Thanks AKelley for the tip. I pulled it into the garage and it was no more than 5 minutes to fix a HUGE problem. weebs74 and everyone else in this thread with concerns need to knock this out ASAP.

I took pictures to make it that much easier.

First, Where the location of the hole and the size screw driver you'll need, 8" as was stated.

Next, That flashlight in the cargo area actually came in handy.

Finally here's a view of the plastic screw itself.
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
RichWK2
2012 WK 

Auto Headlight vs. ride height

After taking delivery of my 2012 WK2 Jeep I was constantly getting brighted around town, so I manually adjusted (per posted procedure - thanks!) the headlights height down for normal ride height and it is now great around town, no longer getting brighted by oncoming drivers, but on the highway when the Jeep lowers to aero mode, the headlights shine too low and do not light up the same amount of roadway as in normal height mode. Yes, on startup the lights go up and down. The headlights auto-level to two heights (angles), one for normal ride height and one for aero/sport modes. This too low in aero/sport mode is consistent and always does it. One would think the Quadra-Lift sensors would provide feedback to keep the headlight angle consistent, independent of ride height mode. Please provide any insight to help point the dealer mechanic in the right direction or something I can do myself. Thanks!
RichWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Many of us have been brighted during the first 2 months or so, and then, for some reason, none. One theory is that the brand new lights glare (HIDS are notorious for this) and the glare fades as they break in. Apparently it has nothing to do with the adjustment. I'd recommend trying to adjust your lights back to the factory alignment and see how it goes. I have no aiming issues with mine.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #26
RichWK2
2012 WK 

My factory alignment was definately aimed much too high. To verify, I first performed an alignment check on a wall per Jeep's procedure. My issue is the two different auto headlight alignment settings depending upon Quadra-Lift ride height.
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #27
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The headlights adjustment to ride height/angle is independent of QL operation. The headlamp controller simply takes height sensor input and makes adjustments regardless of QL mode, similar to HID systems used on WKs for years. The dealer should have the training and the scanning equipment needed identify any improper operation and verify the aim. Nothing much you can do yourself except twist the screws. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Unread 08-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #28
RichWK2
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWK2 View Post
After taking delivery of my 2012 WK2 Jeep I was constantly getting brighted around town, so I manually adjusted (per posted procedure - thanks!) the headlights height down for normal ride height and it is now great around town, no longer getting brighted by oncoming drivers, but on the highway when the Jeep lowers to aero mode, the headlights shine too low and do not light up the same amount of roadway as in normal height mode. Yes, on startup the lights go up and down. The headlights auto-level to two heights (angles), one for normal ride height and one for aero/sport modes. This too low in aero/sport mode is consistent and always does it. One would think the Quadra-Lift sensors would provide feedback to keep the headlight angle consistent, independent of ride height mode. Please provide any insight to help point the dealer mechanic in the right direction or something I can do myself. Thanks!
Checking back to see if anyone has found a solution?
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
HoustonRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWK2 View Post
Checking back to see if anyone has found a solution?
no night driving.....
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #30
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

My WK2 has no issue, alignment seems to be fine in both sport and normal heights and I no longer get brights flashed by oncoming cars as I did for the first month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.