Headlamp questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlamp questions

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
jclark88
2014 WK 

Headlamp questions

Just recently purchased a '14 GC Altitude, and so far I am very happy with it. My GC has the standard Laredo halogen headlamps and I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the bulb life for these headlamps is about 1000 hours, which doesn't seem very long to me. So related to this, I have a couple questions:

1) When the bulbs eventually go on the headlamps, can the necessary bulbs by themselves simply be replaced, or does the whole headlamp need to be replaced all at once(which is very costly)?

2) I have read some of the threads whereby some users have replaced the halogen headlamps with HID headlamps via a harness. Aside from the looks of them, is their an additional benefit to going to HID headlamps in terms of how long they would last before needing to be replaced?

Any input would be appreciated.

jclark88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
FreeJersey
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark88 View Post
just recently purchased a '14 gc altitude, and so far i am very happy with it. My gc has the standard laredo halogen headlamps and i vaguely remember reading somewhere that the bulb life for these headlamps is about 1000 hours, which doesn't seem very long to me. So related to this, i have a couple questions:

1) when the bulbs eventually go on the headlamps, can the necessary bulbs by themselves simply be replaced, or does the whole headlamp need to be replaced all at once(which is very costly)?

yes, the bulbs can be replaced. They are just an h11 bulb.

2) i have read some of the threads whereby some users have replaced the halogen headlamps with hid headlamps via a harness. Aside from the looks of them, is their an additional benefit to going to hid headlamps in terms of how long they would last before needing to be replaced?

hid bulbs do have a longer life, they also have about 3 times the light output. This is an expensive conversion though. Figure 300 - 400 for a harness and 1k plus for the headlight assemblies. Or you could just get an HID kit that just replaces the bulbs for$150 - $200.

any input would be appreciated.
hth
FreeJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Barry45RPM

Don't forget Osram/Sylvania Silverstar bulbs... Direct replacement.
Barry45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
polizei

I was under the impression the Laredo didn't use the "projector" housings...so you couldn't use the HID kits?

I would go with Sylvania's first, and if you want to replace them with a conversion, you're looking at ~$1400.
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
kryogen

IF you go hid, go quality HID retrofit from TRS (the retrofit source).

almost EVERYTHING else is crap china fail.

I bought parts from them to upgrade my OEM HID 2004 maxima. projectors were worn, ballasts and bulbs. Cost approx 600$ to get new almost direct fit upgraded projectors, OEM new version ballasts and OSRAM xenarc bulbs (200$ a pair, best bulbs I have ever had). I went with the CBI bulbs (pure white, approx 5000k), but if I had to do it again I would just get the regular nightbreaker 4300k. More lumens, and less glare in bad weather. Pure white is just pointless, more glare, less light.

And anything "6000K" or whatever that you can find on the internet has ultra poor light output/reliability. forget china made hid kits (everything but OEM bulbs....) TRS is your only safe place.

too bad the GC has D1S so I cant reuse those bulbs.

But if I buy a GC, I'll buy some xenarc nightbreakers in D1S. They are just SO much better than OEM.

Looks like they dont have the nightbreakers in d1s, but they have the new phillips.

D1S: PHILIPS 85415XV C1 XTREME VISION

Looks good, but I would like a true 4300k bulb.... might ask them if they will order.

DESCRIPTION
Philips fights back! The Osram Cool Blue Intense series has taken over as the world's best-performing OEM+ "5000K" HID lamps, but their arch-rival Philips recently introduced the Xtreme Vision series, and a solid competitor they are!

On top of the unbeatable longevity, precision, and performance that all base-model Philips bulbs offer, the XV-C1's add another few hundred lumens to the bottom line while upping the Kelvin rating to 4800K. Just like the Osram CBI, Philips managed more lumens out of a higher Kelvin bulb.

Just shy of 5000K and north of an OEM 4300K, these will offer you a perfectly white light output without being too stark - giving users the perfect contrast between style and excellent visibility while driving at night. If budget isn't a major concern, you will not be disappointed.

Here at TRS, we pride ourselves on being one of the last few distributors shipping genuine Philips & Osram lamps in the US. It is estimated that 80% of these bulbs sold through outlets such as eBay or Amazon are fakes. Don't be fooled by ads offering these bulbs for anything less than $150 as there is a high chance the bulbs are cheap Chinese knock offs.

Doing some competitive research, the only other store offering these bulbs that are verifiably real Philips is offering them for $210. Can't beat our price!

Buy from the company with the Internet's best reputation for unbeatable prices and killer customer service. The Retrofit Source Inc. is trusted by car guys world-wide, so we invite you to contact us today with your questions. Whether you need a recommendation on parts, have a tech question, or even a wholesale inquiry: our customer service team is here to help!
kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
FreeJersey
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei View Post
I was under the impression the Laredo didn't use the "projector" housings...so you couldn't use the HID kits?

I would go with Sylvania's first, and if you want to replace them with a conversion, you're looking at ~$1400.
Not sure about the base Laredo but, the Altitude definitely has projectors.
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:49 AM   #7
FreeJersey
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
too bad the GC has D1S so I cant reuse those bulbs.

The '14 uses a D3S bulb
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
kryogen

Nice article I found:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-D2S-Bulb-Test

have a look at the chinese generic 6000k at the bottom. Looks like what I got when I bought some. Blue, and half as bright as OEM.... (Piece of sh%?)
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark88 View Post
Just recently purchased a '14 GC Altitude, and so far I am very happy with it. My GC has the standard Laredo halogen headlamps and I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the bulb life for these headlamps is about 1000 hours, which doesn't seem very long to me. So related to this, I have a couple questions:

1) When the bulbs eventually go on the headlamps, can the necessary bulbs by themselves simply be replaced, or does the whole headlamp need to be replaced all at once(which is very costly)?

2) I have read some of the threads whereby some users have replaced the halogen headlamps with HID headlamps via a harness. Aside from the looks of them, is their an additional benefit to going to HID headlamps in terms of how long they would last before needing to be replaced?

Any input would be appreciated.
I'll give it a shot.

1. The bulbs are absolutely replaceable without replacing the housing, or even removing the housing, it is a pain but 100% doable.

2. HID replacements can be used in the laredo housings that do not have projectors. The light will be more scattered than in a projector lens designed for it. I'm not sure if the '14 Laredo has projectors. But pending electrical annoyance like needing resistors to stop a flicker, almost any housing can be fitted with an HID kit.

HID replacements consist of a ballast, call it a power pack, and a bulb, the kits these days are plug and play and very easy to retrofit.

The benefits are longer bulb life, greater light output, better temperature choices or color, better/fuller? beam pattern in a good housing. They require less power to run, a 35watt bulb has the output of a 55/65watt halogen, and properly sized and chosen ones may run cooler.

Words to the wise, choose a quality kit as stated, the difference is night and day, choose an appropriate color temp. As mentioned. I prefer 4300-5000k depending on manufacturer. No matter what someone says, my buddy swears his 8000k headlights are brighter than mine. There not in fact the loss of visible light above certain temps is dangerous.

Good luck, have fun.
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
kryogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop View Post
Since no one on here speaks English I'll give it a shot.

1. The bulbs are absolutely replaceable without replacing the housing, or even removing the housing, it is a pain but 100% doable.

2. HID replacements can be used in the laredo housings that do not have projectors. The light will be more scattered than in a projector lens designed for it. I'm not sure if the '14 Laredo has projectors. But pending electrical annoyance like needing resistors to stop a flicker, almost any housing can be fitted with an HID kit.

HID replacements consist of a ballast, call it a power pack, and a bulb, the kits these days are plug and play and very easy to retrofit.

The benefits are longer bulb life, greater light output, better temperature choices or color, better/fuller? beam pattern in a good housing. They require less power to run, a 35watt bulb has the output of a 55/65watt halogen, and properly sized and chosen ones may run cooler.

Words to the wise, choose a quality kit as stated, the difference is night and day, choose an appropriate color temp. As mentioned. I prefer 4300-5000k depending on manufacturer. No matter what someone says, my buddy swears his 8000k headlights are brighter than mine. There not in fact the loss of visible light above certain temps is dangerous.

Good luck, have fun.
I would say that my posts were quite understandable to anyone that can read english, really.
Unread 07-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #11
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

First I honestly found your post a little overly technical for the question asked, and was referencing it when stressing the importance of choice of quality and color, because it offered good information. However some people might find your post hard to follow.

I realized my english statement might imply others replies weren't written well, which isn't what I thought, I just wanted to add another, even with the cheers smileys, and that's why I went back and removed that part of my statement.

Second, you are disrespectful and show your juvenile and pathetic personality by jumping to aggression on that level over a sentence that even had some stupid smiley faces to accentuate the sarcasm that was intended, I'd gladly show you how an iternet tough guy such as yourself fares in the real world, but you'd probably inundate me with overly wordy tough guy technical dissertation on how to kick an ***, I'm not so big on bla bla bla.. Go write a response to this.

Maybe someone will be nice enough to chime in honestly about this without being disrespectful. You're reply was poorly put together and difficult to follow for even someone with a fairly expansive understanding of lighting technology, the flaw wasn't in your facts but your sentence structure and disruption of the continuity of, or flow of the ideas. You sound a little ADD. the difference is I'm using that term as a descriptive meant as a guide for further article structure instead of an insult as you. I'll let you have as many last words as you like after this, I'm big on responding but not on furthering sappy *****es post counts so you'll win this small pecker forum battle by a mile, or should I say by a small margin..
Dang I just realized you are canadian, never mind it makes more sense now, it's all ok.
Have a good week.
Unread 07-28-2014, 01:33 AM   #12
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
Don't forget Osram/Sylvania Silverstar bulbs... Direct replacement.
I've had silverstars before in my car before I switched to HIDs, I went through 4 bulbs in 1 year, they are slightly brighter than stock but have 1/4 of the life.

Yes all 2014 grand cherokee's have projector housings, so they can be converted to HID's, they will never be legal or as good as stock but it can be done.
That was the first thing I did to my wife's jeep was put a set of 55 watt 5k hid's from DDM tuning. A lot of people have bad things to say about them but I have never had an issue with them. We found the stock headlights to be downright dangerous on dark country roads.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 05:30 AM   #13
kryogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop View Post
First I honestly found your post a little overly technical for the question asked, and was referencing it when stressing the importance of choice of quality and color, because it offered good information. However some people might find your post hard to follow.

I realized my english statement might imply others replies weren't written well, which isn't what I thought, I just wanted to add another, even with the cheers smileys, and that's why I went back and removed that part of my statement.

Second, you are disrespectful and show your juvenile and pathetic personality by jumping to aggression on that level over a sentence that even had some stupid smiley faces to accentuate the sarcasm that was intended, I'd gladly show you how an iternet tough guy such as yourself fares in the real world, but you'd probably inundate me with overly wordy tough guy technical dissertation on how to kick an ***, I'm not so big on bla bla bla.. Go write a response to this.

Maybe someone will be nice enough to chime in honestly about this without being disrespectful. You're reply was poorly put together and difficult to follow for even someone with a fairly expansive understanding of lighting technology, the flaw wasn't in your facts but your sentence structure and disruption of the continuity of, or flow of the ideas. You sound a little ADD. the difference is I'm using that term as a descriptive meant as a guide for further article structure instead of an insult as you. I'll let you have as many last words as you like after this, I'm big on responding but not on furthering sappy *****es post counts so you'll win this small pecker forum battle by a mile, or should I say by a small margin..
Dang I just realized you are canadian, never mind it makes more sense now, it's all ok.
Have a good week.
That post is way too long.

I read the beginning and the end...

"First I honestly found your post a little overly technical for the question asked" "Have a good week"

Thanks, you too.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.