Hate To Say It, But..... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Hate To Say It, But.....

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #31
Jpiwonski
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggly1dog
I didn't want to sit here and wave my wallet under people's noses, but since you brought it up......it sounds like you and I have something in common. Aren't 911's great. It's utterly amazing how they manage to fit tall folks so well. And for any doubters, go take a 911 for a test drive, and you will see what really comfortable supportive seats are about. Vehicle size does not always equate with comfort. I own, and have owned much smaller cars that were superb as far as comfort. The Mustang I traded is a good case in point. You could spend all day in it, and never squirm in the seat at all. I failed to do due diligence on that car because I owned previous earlier versions (03 Cobra and 04 Mach1) and the Tremec transmissions were fine in those cars. Had I done my research, I would have found out that the Getrag MT82 trans in the new Coyote's are absolute garbage. Anyway, this is a Jeep forum, and my story is about how the seats in the GC suck for "ME".
I'm 6'2" and sat in a 911 before and didn't fit at all, it was most uncomfortable.

Jpiwonski is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #32
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpiwonski View Post
I'm 6'2" and sat in a 911 before and didn't fit at all, it was most uncomfortable.
Then you didn't sit in one with the adaptive seats.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #33
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggly1dog View Post
Then you didn't sit in one with the adaptive seats.
I did, nice but I did not like them. But then I have short legs and there are few seats that fit me well. Someone with longer legs may be more comfortable. My SLK seats were great, but the WK2 Overland leather is softer and has a better feel for me.
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #34
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I did, nice but I did not like them. But then I have short legs and there are few seats that fit me well. Someone with longer legs may be more comfortable. My SLK seats were great, but the WK2 Overland leather is softer and has a better feel for me.
I definitely have the opposite problem. The lack of cars on the market that provide a sufficient fit for me has always been problematic. One of the reasons I gravitated to motorcycles most of my life. I have traveled pretty extensively in my lifetime, and most of it was done on motorcycles.

I remember wanting a new car back in the early 1980's and I went and looked at everything, and nothing fit the way I liked. I ended up getting a Nissan/Datsun Sentra in 1983. That car was very comfortable, and as cheap as it was, it was one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned. It was very roomy, and extremely reliable. I kept it for ten years, and it never needed anything except new tires and brakes.
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
I bought a new 2013 Mustang convertible back in August. Long story short, reverse gear went out on the manual trans at 1000 miles. Ford repaired the trans, but sucked with the customer service. Took them 3 days before looking at the car, and never offered a loaner.

I traded it for a GC Limited. I jokingly tell friends it's a 38k Jeep that I paid 50k for, because of what I lost on the Mustang in the trade.

Since being on this forum, I am astounded at the number of issues and complaints with the new GC's. I have $$, so losing a little is not much of a motivator. What motivates me is "Hassle" or lack thereof.

I have yet to experience any real problem with my new (450 miles) GC, but it looks like it's only a matter of when, not if. So, I think this GC will join the aforementioned Mustang, and end up as a used car on some other dealers lot. I need to mention that the seats suck. They are only comfortable for short drives. Anything over 10 miles, and they blow.

Now I just have to figure out what I want to trade it in for. Suggestions would be welcome.
When you find a car that never ever breaks down, never needs a minor adjustment/fix/update/recall/warranty repair, do let the rest of us know. I've been a car owner for almost 25 years, and I haven't found one yet either.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #36
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:

Since being on this forum, I am astounded at the number of issues and complaints with the new GC's. I have $$, so losing a little is not much of a motivator. What motivates me is "Hassle" or lack thereof.

I have yet to experience any real problem with my new (450 miles) GC, but it looks like it's only a matter of when, not if. So, I think this GC will join the aforementioned Mustang, and end up as a used car on some other dealers lot. I need to mention that the seats suck. They are only comfortable for short drives. Anything over 10 miles, and they blow.

Now I just have to figure out what I want to trade it in for. Suggestions would be welcome.
From your posts you sound like an intelligent person who has worked hard all his life - a retired farmer. My grand father was a farmer all his life and he was proud of it too.

You admitted that so far haven't had any issues with your GC. You are worried because so many other people on the forum have had different issues. But honestly....you are worried about "what if"? It like us worrying about there are so many illnesses in the world.....even though I am healthy but since so many people have life threatening illnesses I will get one too. So I am worried already. You are retired....enjoy life. Not a lot of people get to do it even after retirement.

Seat issue....I guess thats more of a "Caveat emptor", which is unfortunate but the onus was on you to make sure you are satisfied with it.
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin View Post
When you find a car that never ever breaks down, never needs a minor adjustment/fix/update/recall/warranty repair, do let the rest of us know. I've been a car owner for almost 25 years, and I haven't found one yet either.
Did you read my post above about the Datsun Sentra? That was one. I have a Ford ZX2 out in the garage that is the wife's. It has never needed anything other than a new set of tires, belts and front pads. We bought the car new in June of 97. It is a 1998 model. We have owned the car for over 16 years. It has 75,000 miles on it, and it still has the original rear brakes and exhaust. She can have any car she wants, but she loves that car, and refuses to give it up, (though I think I am close to wearing her down).

The Mustang I posted about had reverse gear fail in 1000 miles. Go Google Getrag MT82 trans problems. Ford put a turd of a tranny in an otherwise great car. I was unwilling to put up with the POS. They shift like garbage.

I have been a car owner for just over 45 years, and I have owned a number of vehicles that had zero problems and never needed anything other than maintenance items.

My GC will probably stay in the family. My son lives in Colorado, and he is coming in for Christmas. He has already made it clear he wants to buy it, but I think I am just going to make it a Christmas gift.
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #38
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post

You are worried because so many other people on the forum have had different issues. But honestly....you are worried about "what if"? It like us worrying about there are so many illnesses in the world.....even though I am healthy but since so many people have life threatening illnesses I will get one too. So I am worried already. You are retired....enjoy life. Not a lot of people get to do it even after retirement.

Seat issue....I guess thats more of a "Caveat emptor", which is unfortunate but the onus was on you to make sure you are satisfied with it.
Please, make no mistake, I am not worried about anything.

As for the seat issue, I will try to get the selling dealer on whatever I decide to try next to let me take the vehicle for an extended test drive for at least two hours. Yep, my onus failed my anus, and now I have to lose more money. Oh, whoa is me.......the shame of it all.
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #39
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I bought a new 2013 Mustang convertible back in August. Long story short, reverse gear went out on the manual trans at 1000 miles. Ford repaired the trans, but sucked with the customer service. Took them 3 days before looking at the car, and never offered a loaner.

I traded it for a GC Limited. I jokingly tell friends it's a 38k Jeep that I paid 50k for, because of what I lost on the Mustang in the trade.

Quote:
Please, make no mistake, I am not worried about anything.

As for the seat issue, I will try to get the selling dealer on whatever I decide to try next to let me take the vehicle for an extended test drive for at least two hours. Yep, my onus failed my anus, and now I have to lose more money. Oh, whoa is me.......the shame of it all.
then what was the premise of your first post?
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #40
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
then what was the premise of your first post?
Sharing an experience, and making an observation about thread topics on this forum.
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #41
volvite
1999 WJ 

Quote:
My GC will probably stay in the family. My son lives in Colorado, and he is coming in for Christmas. He has already made it clear he wants to buy it, but I think I am just going to make it a Christmas gift.
If you son does not want your GC, let me know. I'm in Utah and would gladly come by at Christmas to take it off your hands.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #42
MrBreeze

We all have different expectations when we purchase a car. There was a time in my life I would have never even considered driving into a dealer that sold Jeeps let alone own one. When you go from having nothing living on the streets and fighting for your life everyday to where I got to (and no I did not win the lottery), you tend to over do things and I did owning at times 16 cars at one time. Then my twins were born 14 weeks premature each required many operations to survive followed by a 4 year painful and costly divorce and then being told I needed a heart bypass operation if you want to live your priorities tend to change. I said who needs a Ferrari or a Lamborghini to drive to CVS. So I started writing novels met the love of my life and realized cars are merely tools (some better than others at different things) but we all like different tools. I see OP's point because I have been there many times a test drive is not the same as ownership. I love my 14 Summit is does everything (and has some cool stuff like I can listen to my text messages, hey I'm old that is cool stuff to me). One more thing having a lot of money does not make to smart (if you know who I married you would call me a moron for sure) and if you are impulsive like I am it can be a dangerous combination. Happy Thanksgiving
MrBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #43
woollyB
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin View Post
Before buying a used 2011 WK2 recently, I drove a 2001 Civic for 12+ years and never had any issues. There was 1 recall on the airbag but it was not a problem that affected me.

I willingly made the trade into more luxury and power and utility, no regrets, but the smart part of my brain definitely advised against letting that Civic go.
woollyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #44
Jpiwonski
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollyB
Before buying a used 2011 WK2 recently, I drove a 2001 Civic for 12+ years and never had any issues. There was 1 recall on the airbag but it was not a problem that affected me. I willingly made the trade into more luxury and power and utility, no regrets, but the smart part of my brain definitely advised against letting that Civic go.
I had an 05 Monte Carlo ls. Only had to replace water pump in 180,000 miles. It was low horsepower no luxury but I still miss it even though I love my GC.
Jpiwonski is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #45
i20sailor
2014 WK 

1.- There is only a handful of reputable suppliers for most components on a car and all global auto makers use them. Most components will have some level of field failure rate which is also impacted by design of the overall system. There is no make of car out there that will not have field issues. Some models might be worse than others depending on system integration. So, there is no point in getting rid of a car that has not had any issues just to trade it for some other. Its really just the odds of something failing and is true for every car out there.

2.- The vast majority of owners will post negative experiences, but not post the positive ones, so forums are usually slated to the negative side.

3.- I also find the seats in my '14 GC rather uncomfortable. I tested all the different option levels and did not feel a difference between them. I have not been able to put my finger on exactly why they don't feel comfortable to me. Overall they are harder than what I'm used to and some of the stitching on the bottom cushion seems to be in a bad place. I keep shifting around in the seat trying to find a more comfortable position. Never had this issue with my Ford Edge or my Mazda CX-9. I was well aware of this issue before buying the Jeep, so I'm hoping that I'll get used to it.
i20sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.