Has anyone upgrade stock low beam to LED light? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Has anyone upgrade stock low beam to LED light?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
picard12

Has anyone upgrade stock low beam to LED light?

Has anyone upgrade stock low beam to LED light?

does the light look brighter than stock halogen ?

picard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
doz
2012 WK 

If you are going to do any upgrades, move to HIDs. IMO, anything else is a waste of money. You can buy a good HID kit these days for under $100 (sometimes catch sales for QUALITY kits for about $60).
doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
If you are going to do any upgrades, move to HIDs. IMO, anything else is a waste of money. You can buy a good HID kit these days for under $100 (sometimes catch sales for QUALITY kits for about $60).
Leds last longer and run cooler. You get what you paid for at $60.

Most important thing with lights is that they do the job. I dont care what K they are. I dont need HIDs or halos to be in or cool. I dont need my fogs light up the fing planet. The fog lights in my 2012 GC do the job and do a better than average job better than most Benzs and bimmers in thick fog when visibility is down to 100 yards or less.

I do wish rear fog lights were required in the US.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
SPL170db

Do they even make LED bulbs that will put as much light on the road as the OEM Halogen bulbs? I didn't think there were? Or is this just meant to act as a DRL and not to light up the road at night?
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
doz
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post

Most important thing with lights is that they do the job. I dont care what K they are. I dont need HIDs or halos to be in or cool. I dont need my fogs light up the fing planet. The fog lights in my 2012 GC do the job and do a better than average job better than most Benzs and bimmers in thick fog when visibility is down to 100 yards or less.

He was asking about the low beams........ And its not about being cool, its about light output.
doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post

You are correct, however show one h11 bulb that puts out the same or more lumens than a halogen 55 watt.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
HID is so old tech these days.Plus it is illegal to put a HID bulb in a halogen housing and why all those kits are sold "offroad use only".
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

HID is so old tech these days.Plus it is illegal to put a HID bulb in a halogen housing and why all those kits are sold "offroad use only".
If hid's are so old tech what should he put in? Yes they are technically illegal but if you have projector housings you are fine.
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
picard12

LED light is cheaper than HID and more powerful.
picard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard12 View Post
LED light is cheaper than HID and more powerful.
For a headlight bulb prove it.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
For a headlight bulb prove it.
After replacing your headlight housings with the correct HID housings,bulbs and all that having custom made LED headlights will be cheaper.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
loveracing1988

Quote:

After replacing your headlight housings with the correct HID housings,bulbs and all that having custom made LED headlights will be cheaper.
What is the difference between an hid housing and the standard projector housing in the low beam? You still have not proven anything with prices.
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
What is the difference between an hid housing and the standard projector housing in the low beam? You still have not proven anything with prices.
One is made for a HID bulb and the other is not.Just because it has a projector does not mean it works with a HID bulb.

As far as prices the OE HID housing will run you $1200 MSRP for both left and right side.As far as making LED headlamps you could do it for less then a couple of hundred dollars.
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
loveracing1988

Quote:

One is made for a HID bulb and the other is not.Just because it has a projector does not mean it works with a HID bulb.

As far as prices the OE HID housing will run you $1200 MSRP for both left and right side.As far as making LED headlamps you could do it for less then a couple of hundred dollars.
Even if you could make them for that much and they wold work just as good as the halogens or even as good as hid's. Your original argument said hid's were illegal. If you make your own led headlamps, those would also be illegal.
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #15
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Offroad Use only

Quote:
For over 30 years I ran Euro non sealed beam headlights in various VWs and BMWs without any problems and thats in VA with year state mandated safety inspections. Even ran 100w bulbs in the high beams w/o any problems. Miss the good ole days when you could just drop in some Cibie or Hella non sealed beam headlights and vastly improve the lighting in a vehicle.

For JKs, CJs et al LED headlights are an easy drop in. Someone also makes a 4.5 round LED foglight for JKs.

Never saw HIDs as having any advantage over good halogen lights other than the cool factor of halos. Dont remember seeing anyone using HIDs at Daytona, Sebring, Le Mans or Baja.

With the EPA mandating higher and higher mpgs LEDS will become standard equipment in more vehicles since they give designers the opportunity to design lighter and more aero friendly front ends and they all dont put the demands on the vehicles lectrical system like HIDs and halogens.

Wouldnt mind adding driving and pencil beam LEDs to by GC if the cost was reasonable and the installation easy. Then figure out a way for all the lights to be on at the smae time fogs, highs, lows, pencils and driving lights or just fogs or pencils.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.