Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Has anyone found the PERFECT cordless charging pad?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  wk2gclimited 
#1 ·
Yeah, not quite a third-world issue. [emoji1]

I'm looking for a cordless charging pad that will sit inside the center console compartment just below the WK2 USB/SD/12VDC ports AND allow the door to close. Not the center armrest; the forward compartment that used to be an ashtray.

I came close with this one: Seneo Wireless Charger Qi Wireless ...01D9UE74C/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_5DaDxbR51ZCJX but it's just barely too wide. [emoji20] Shopping for these things online is a PITA because the dimensions provided (if any) are often of the packaging, not the device.

I don't mind if the door has to remain open with the phone on it, but I want to close the door with the pad inside when not in use.

Anyone?

#4 ·
Dude, did you even read the product dimensions in the description for the item in the link you provided?? 5.0" x 4.9" x 1.3". WAY too big... almost a full inch wider than the one I bought that just barely won't let the door close.

Seriously, I appreciate you wanting to help, but I posted hoping to hear from someone who actually purchased the item and has it in their WK2, doing what I want to do.

I just ordered another one - eBay this time: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131753835117?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The description gives the actual product diameter as 70mm (2.756"). If this holds true it'll fit with room to spare. I just hope it works.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I've actually been trying to find a similar solution! Wireless charging in the car without some ridiculous window mount that is like 3 feet long. I was on youtube when I found this.

It seems to be the only decent solution I have found so far.

But then again, you are giving up a cupholder

#5 ·
I saw something similar to that... it was more like the shape of a cup and designed to hold the phone snug and upright. Interesting, but I often use both cup holders and don't want to keep one occupied 24/7. Plus, my OCD would demand I find a way to conceal the wire and that would mean taking stuff apart and making holes! [emoji1]

#7 ·
I know you want it in the front cubby but I wanted to offer another suggestion. I use one of these, and put it in the top little shelf portion of the center armrest console. Fits great, out of sight, keeps the phone in position so it always charges properly.

Fits my huge Nexus 6 perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVEBQIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Just noticed they seem to be out of stock or discontinued. But you get the idea, different type of holder. I would expect there is something similar out on the interwebs somewhere.

#9 ·
UPDATE

I got the tiny round wireless charger from eBay and it fit beautifully in the bottom of the forward cubby. It even charged my GS7 through its leather wallet case.

But there are two big dealbreakers.

1. Upon driving the car I soon realized the normal movement of the car was enough to frequently break the connection between the phone and the charger. I have my phone set up to make a beep whenever it senses a charger. I was getting a beep every 5-10 seconds. Sure, I could turn the beep off, but rapid intermittent charging like that cannot possibly be good for the phone.

2. The charger must emit a pretty strong magnetic field, because my 64 gig SD card in the slot inside the cubby got corrupted within an hour. A format and reload fixed it, but still....

So... I may try it in the armrest tray, but I'll more than likely just use it as a home charger. $5 and a lesson learned.

#11 ·
Hey, how bout one of these?

My phone has taken a litteral swan dive off of various surfaces in my jeep and never lost connection. Except for that time that it fell way down into the carmuda triangle between the seat and the console and when I tried to reel it back up by the cord it let go...

But anywhooo.. It even comes in a plethora of colors el guapo!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.