Hardwiring radar and dash cam - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Hardwiring radar and dash cam

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Zhenya
2014 WK 

Hardwiring radar and dash cam

Hey guys,

I ordered a WK2 Limited. I want to hardwire both a Valentine 1 and a dashcam. Has anyone here done it? And if so - do you have any tips?

Zhenya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I would just pull the radio bezel off and tap into the DC plug wiring in the center stack. The center stack bezel just pops off and quite easily I may add.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Another alternative for the detector is hard wired to the mirror mount. There were posts on this awhile ago, I believe there is a kit out but dunno if it works for the 2014, don't think they made any changes there. I think a search should pop up some possibilities.

If you ordered the ACC option, it may interfere with the detector unless its been modified or upgraded (or perhaps new). The ACC and cross path radars are in the same spectrum used for speed cameras and most detectors will alarm on it... or reduce its sensitifity.
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Zhenya
2014 WK 

No ACC

I saw DYI about hardwiring into the mirror - but I'm not sure if there's space to hardwire both
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
tj_john

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if your mirror has compass/dimming/etc, but I have one of these running my V1. It's clean and simple to install.

http://www.mirrortap.com/
tj_john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 01:16 AM   #6
R1200RT
2014 WK 

I'm going to replace my '05 Dodge Magnum with a GC in the next few months. I use a V1 with their SAVVY that plugs into the OBD2 port. http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/

I'm hoping I can use this in a GC as well.
R1200RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Zhenya
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
I would just pull the radio bezel off and tap into the DC plug wiring in the center stack. The center stack bezel just pops off and quite easily I may add.
If I tap it in there, how would I run the wire to the top of the window? Via the pillar?
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhenya
If I tap it in there, how would I run the wire to the top of the window? Via the pillar?
Yea. Run up the A pillar.

The mirror option may be your best though.

Sent from my underground lair.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
falcon2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhenya View Post
Hey guys,

I ordered a WK2 Limited. I want to hardwire both a Valentine 1 and a dashcam. Has anyone here done it? And if so - do you have any tips?
Here's how a guy on the other Jeep forum posted how to do it.

I wired my Blackvue camera according to his instructions and it works as advertised.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.