Hard brakes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Hard brakes?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
FranksWK
2005 WK 

Hard brakes?

Tried using the search for my issue that i had only twice, two days in a row... Not sure if it has anything to do with the extreme cold that my area is experiencing the last few days i doubt it. My issue is during normal driving ill press the breaks to slow down, the brakes almost felt like they were manual brakes, felt like i had drum brakes all around. I would have to press really hard to slow the truck down. After that its fine any ideas? I would bring it in to the dealer but i know they have to "duplicate" the problem.

FranksWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I never lost what feels like power assist, sounds like an issue to report to the dealer whether you can reproduce it or not.
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
FranksWK
2005 WK 

I think i will report it just so its in file.
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
MickinNY
2013 WK 

I'm in upstate NY, so I'm sure it's been just as cold as Rocky Point the last 4-5 days. I'm not experiencing that at all with the brakes, so you should get it checked out.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

What year WK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksWK View Post
Tried using the search for my issue that i had only twice, two days in a row... Not sure if it has anything to do with the extreme cold that my area is experiencing the last few days i doubt it. My issue is during normal driving ill press the breaks to slow down, the brakes almost felt like they were manual brakes, felt like i had drum brakes all around. I would have to press really hard to slow the truck down. After that its fine any ideas? I would bring it in to the dealer but i know they have to "duplicate" the problem.
When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? If its been more the two years you could have water in the fluid and the water may have frozen. What pads are in your WK? Some aftermarket pads can perform as you describe because they take awhile to heat up. Metalmasters were famous for this. I used to drag the brakes down my driveway and down the hill to first stop sign to get heat the pads.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
FranksWK
2005 WK 

^ i have a 2012 WK2. I never changed my profile name when i had a 05 WK. had the jeep out all day and the breaks were fine all day with alot of stop and go. Im going to the dealer monday and ill see what happens.
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Uponone

From Montréal here ... we have been breaking cold records all last week and I did not experience any problems with brakes ...
Uponone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksWK View Post
^ i have a 2012 WK2. I never changed my profile name when i had a 05 WK. had the jeep out all day and the breaks were fine all day with alot of stop and go. Im going to the dealer monday and ill see what happens.
What happened?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
FranksWK
2005 WK 

Tomorow im bringing it in for an oil change then will look into it, but hasnt done since i first posted this thread... Ill keep ya posted on what the dealer says...
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
OscarTilly

Hi all, 2012 owner here - Laredo X. My wife drives the car and is having the exact same problem. The problem happened 2-3 times last year when we bought the car. We took it into the dealer - they told me they cannot reproduce it and cannot do anything about it. The problem did not reoccur until just recently and since has happened 5-6 times in the past 2 weeks. We took it to a different dealer who was able to reproduce it once, but says that they have not been able to re-reproduce it to diagnose what is causing the issue. Since they cannot diagnose what is causing the issue, despite reproducing it, they told me there is nothing they can do for me. They acknowledged that it was a loss of vacuum seal or something like that.

Anyone else see anything about this? The last time it happened my pregnant wife was merging on a highway and it was not a good situation with my 4 year old and my 2 year old also in the car. Thankfully she was able to get the brakes to kick in, but I cannot trust this car anymore.

Hopefully someone has a solution because I'm seriously considering a lemon law here - I hate to do that, but I bought the car for my family and I cannot trust the car with them.
OscarTilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
v_kerr

Having exact issue as OscarTilly:

In May 2012 I started noticing some issues with the brakes but it was intermittent and I hadn't driven the car much since I purchased it. In December I was driving on the highway at a speed of 70mph when I went to slow down and I found that I could not press the brake pedal down!! It was STUCK in the up position! I released my foot from the brake and pressed down again and the car responded. This began happening frequently and in January I brough the the car to be inspected. The dealership was unable to identify any issues with the car but the problem continued to happen. They even told me that another customer had brought their vehicle in with the same issue! Anyway, about 2 weeks later the issue happened again, twice in a row and I nearly rearended the car infront of me. Again, I was driving on the highway at high speeds. This scared me very much and I immediately brought the car in. The car has been there for 23 days now. They say they have tried everything and are unable to identify the issue. I also got word that this is occurring in other vehicles around the country as well and they have been unable to identify or repair it. I'm not sure of the outcome of those other cases. Basically I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this issue or anything similar? No lights go on on the dashboard when this happens. No jerking sensation, nothing. The car just doesn't recognize that I'm pushing the brake because the pedal won't go down...

It's winter here in NJ but it has not been any colder than a winter in NJ would be.... My dealership has been saying they can't do anything for me bc they can't reproduce it.. Car has been at the dealer since 1/22/13. Chrysler has come out multiple times to try and 'fix the car' but now they're telling me that they're done with it. I can't afford to not have a realiable vehicle... I'm a field nurse and I'm in my car constantly, hence the reason I purchased a 2012 because I don't want to deal with any issues...
I am pursuing Lemon Law with this car as they have had it for over 30 days now.
v_kerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Wow that is scary. Sounds similar to the Toyota accelerator issue if it is a large scale thing
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
alsmith

hard brakes or no brakes!

i had this issue for about the last two months.. I am a mechanic so i figured i would do it myself rather then take it to the dealer so they could not "duplicate the problem". When you have this problem stop the car ( if you can ) put your foot down on the brake pedal as hard as you can and if you hear what sounds to be an air leak by the pedal your brake booster pump is bad. The dealer replaced mine, as well as the leaking rack and pinion. It was a scary problem as i dont drive the car my wife and 5 year old son are usually in it.. Hope this helps you out.
alsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
mpc0818

My dealer has had my 2012 GC for 21 days so far trying to rectify this problem. They had it in December for 2 1/2 weeks also or the same problem but could not fix it. They stated the other day, they have no idea when I will be getting it back. Lucky for them when I first brought it in during December it had over 18,000 miles on it. If it had less I would be able to file a Lemon Law considering they have had my car for mor than 30 days for this problem.
mpc0818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
v_kerr

Unfortunately they checked the entire braking system on my car and were unable to find any air leaks or pressure leaks. When this happens, there is no amount of force that I can put on my brake pedal to slow the car down or stop the car. I have to keep pumping the brake multiple times until it decides to release and acknowledge that the brake is being pressed. My dealership also told me that in the other cases that this has been reported they have replaced entire braking systems with no fix to this problem. My car has been at the dealership since 1/22/13. I'm really ready to be done with the car as it's not safe for me to drive or to be on the road with other drivers, period.
v_kerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.