Ham Radio in WK2? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Ham Radio in WK2?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Reply
Unread 10-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
davidaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 3
Ham Radio in WK2?

Hello all, I'm considering replacing my 95k mile 07 JK with a GC. One of the problems I'm having is trying to figure out where to mount HAM radios and antennas. I current have two antenna on the JK and two radios. One small screwdriver for HF with an 857D and one dual band Kenwood for APRS and UHF/VHF using a second antenna. Since i'm regularly out in the middle of the desert (radio is a life line in emergency) and it's a hobby I really enjoy, the lack of mounting options for both radio and antennas could kill the deal. I've searched the forums and only found 2 write ups re CB installs and a single HAM install. None of which were on WK2s but older WKs. Installs in the JK were so easy. Keeping the battery under the hood certainly makes life simple and all the drain plugs in the floor make running cables quick.

Anybody gone down this road with a WK2?

Thanks,
dave.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
PWGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23
I described my installation in some detail in another forum. I found everything very easy except for removing the headliner, which I didn't completely do.

I got a Laredo X so I wouldn't have to deal with the sunroof. There is a nice area for antenna mounting between stiffeners near the center of the roof. You do need to take the stiffeners into account.

My Yaesu FT-350 front panel wedges beautifully in the center cubby with just an L bracket mounted on the back to maintain the angle. Closing the lid hides the control head. Surprisingly the head mounted APRS GPS works just fine under all that equipment.

The power is extremely easy to run from the battery under the passenger seat. No firewall to deal with. I mounted the radio and an external speaker to the top of the lid that covers the recess under the driver's seat. It may limit the down adjustment of the seat some. Control cable runs easily from the radio to the control head behind the center console trim and connects to the control head through the open top of the center cubby.

The mike is mounted on a removable cup holder mount.

I went with a shark fin antenna so I wouldn't have a swept and a vertical antenna near each other (esthetic thing).

Very clean installation that I am happy with.





PWGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
davidaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 3
Looks good PWGuy. Thanks for the pics. I'll need to spend some time in the vehicle to find the optimum mounting locations for my need. Under the seats, custom mount int the back etc. Heck I may even talk to a radio shop and see what they can fabricate. I do appreciate the info on direct wiring to the battery under the seat. It took me and the sales guy about 20 minutes to find the darn thing. With all the CAN bus components I wasn't sure that was a supported config. I'm about 80% certain i'm going to pull the trigger. Now I just need to get over the sticker shock.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Froggy32701
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGuy View Post
I described my installation in some detail in another forum. I found everything very easy except for removing the headliner, which I didn't completely do.

I got a Laredo X so I wouldn't have to deal with the sunroof. There is a nice area for antenna mounting between stiffeners near the center of the roof. You do need to take the stiffeners into account.

My Yaesu FT-350 front panel wedges beautifully in the center cubby with just an L bracket mounted on the back to maintain the angle. Closing the lid hides the control head. Surprisingly the head mounted APRS GPS works just fine under all that equipment.

The power is extremely easy to run from the battery under the passenger seat. No firewall to deal with. I mounted the radio and an external speaker to the top of the lid that covers the recess under the driver's seat. It may limit the down adjustment of the seat some. Control cable runs easily from the radio to the control head behind the center console trim and connects to the control head through the open top of the center cubby.

The mike is mounted on a removable cup holder mount.

I went with a shark fin antenna so I wouldn't have a swept and a vertical antenna near each other (esthetic thing).

Very clean installation that I am happy with.





Does the mic attach to the face on that model ?

I just picked up a 2012 GC and need to get my VHF/UHF installed. However with this install I really want to make sure it looks good even thinking that because it is a new car I should get a new radio

Any 1 else have any ham or cb installs they want to share?
Froggy32701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
davidaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 3
I ended up mounting the antenna (small comet SBB10) to the left passenger door using a comet door/hood mount. I ran the wires down the door and in along the same path as the stock wires. Mounted the kenwood head w Velcro to the far left side of the dash and ran that wire up through the dash on the left side via that little door thing on the left side of the dash. gps module for aprs is just forward of the head. The mic is in the cubby where the other ham mounted his control head. I can close the door and the mic is out of sight. I can also pull the head off and toss it in the console so it's out of sight of thieves. No pics but can post if interested.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
PWGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy32701 View Post
Does the mic attach to the face on that model ?

...
The FT-350 control head is not designed for a mike to attach to it. As shown in the photo I have my mike mounted to an easily removable cup holder device.
PWGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Froggy32701
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGuy View Post
The FT-350 control head is not designed for a mike to attach to it. As shown in the photo I have my mike mounted to an easily removable cup holder device.
ahh ok, all of the yaesu's I have owned w/ detachable face have had the mic connection on the face, good to know the FT-350 does not.

yeah I see the mic, but couldnt see the mic cord


I may do the same thing and mount radio under the driver seat. For the antenna I was thinking of possibly looking for a hood mount

Like this


need to look around and see if I can find one for the GC. And I would love to do the same thing with the face plate.
Froggy32701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
PWGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy32701 View Post
ahh ok, all of the yaesu's I have owned w/ detachable face have had the mic connection on the face, good to know the FT-350 does not.

yeah I see the mic, but couldnt see the mic cord ...
I misunderstood. I have the mike plugged into the transeiver body but it probably can also be plugged into the control head.
PWGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Froggy32701
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGuy View Post
I misunderstood. I have the mike plugged into the transeiver body but it probably can also be plugged into the control head.
ahh ok,

one more question, did you just screw the radio bracket directly to that cover under the driver seat? I have not looked close is that cover steal?
Froggy32701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Froggy32701
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 43
Going to bump this in hopes that some one will chime in with more info

Would really like to see some antenna mounting options other then drilling a hole in the roof.

Possibly a mount that goes above the taillight or a hood mount.
Froggy32701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
RustyBrainpan
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 16
Have you looked at Diamond antenna mounts? I have used them on many SUVs on the back hatches and on the luggage rails. Comet also makes similar mounts that work quite well on SUVs. HRO, AES and Ham City sell them along with many others. Hope that helps.
RustyBrainpan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
gs2offroad
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mt. Si, WA
Posts: 131
Followed PWGuy's lead and drilled the roof for an NMO style antenna. Took a few beers but was surprisingly easy. Mounted the body of an IC-208H under the drivers seat and the head unit in the cubby. Works great and super stealthy.
image-3692916914.jpg   image-3831536052.jpg   image-3173620659.jpg  
gs2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Saltriverfolk
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 24
Replace OEM WK2 antenna with dual band antenna?

Has anyone considered mounting an antenna where the OEM antenna rear roof mount is located and then moving the satellite/nav/FM?? antenna to another location? I think the signal pattern would favor a foward vehicle pattern but could not be much different than a passenger car with a center trunk lip mount which works OK. Other than a magnetic mount, the only other mount I see that is feasible is the Comet RS-720NMO but it will likely deform the front hood edge where it is clamped on.
Saltriverfolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Saltriverfolk
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltriverfolk View Post
Has anyone considered mounting an antenna where the OEM antenna rear roof mount is located and then moving the satellite/nav/FM?? antenna to another location? I think the signal pattern would favor a foward vehicle pattern but could not be much different than a passenger car with a center trunk lip mount which works OK. Other than a magnetic mount, the only other mount I see that is feasible is the Comet RS-720NMO but it will likely deform the front hood edge where it is clamped on.
Ok, I read that you could undo the trim panel above the rear hatch and view the antenna cables, install a splitter on the (yellow?) satellite antenna lead and reroute it to a magnetic mount Sirius antenna. This just leaves finding a substitute for the FM antenna which perhaps could go inside the vehicle - and either adapting the OEM base mount or finding a mount for the OEM hole.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SUVA...er-reviews-tab
Saltriverfolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
Saltriverfolk
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltriverfolk View Post
Ok, I read that you could undo the trim panel above the rear hatch and view the antenna cables, install a splitter on the (yellow?) satellite antenna lead and reroute it to a magnetic mount Sirius antenna. This just leaves finding a substitute for the FM antenna which perhaps could go inside the vehicle - and either adapting the OEM base mount or finding a mount for the OEM hole.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SUVA...er-reviews-tab
Ok, found an internal FM/AM antennae on same web site. May have to install your own adapters or solder directly to leads.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA...l-Antenna.html

Now trying to find a roof mount that fits the 5/8"+/- sqaure hole that the OEM antenna mounts to so I can attach the Larsen NMO-2/70Black 34.5" 3.8/5.2 (dB) dual band antenna. ? Maybe 34.5" is too tall? I am sure that most folks won't pay any attention. Stay tuned.
Saltriverfolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.