Halogen vs HID !!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Halogen vs HID !!!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Webb
2012 WK 

Halogen vs HID !!!

So I'm about to pull the trigger on either Laredo X or Limited.I would go up just because the HID lights,but I want to know if it's worth the 2K + that they are asking for.What's your opinion ?

Thanks

Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Syndicate
2012 WK 

Are they HID's Xenon or just regular projector beam headlamps? I'm assuming they are the Xenon types. My most current vehicles all use the Xenons, it really helps with my night vision. Make sure the bulbs are a lower color temperature, I'm pretty sure most stock are 4300k or 6000k. Anything over 6000k is a waste of money and makes visibility worse. Other benefits than just being brigher are, they last longer, produce wider/deeper beam patterns, use less energy. On the downside, they are rather expensive if you have to replace one and can/will piss people off at night (I always get the hi-beam flash).
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Webb
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
Are they HID's Xenon or just regular projector beam headlamps? I'm assuming they are the Xenon types. My most current vehicles all use the Xenons, it really helps with my night vision. Make sure the bulbs are a lower color temperature, I'm pretty sure most stock are 4300k or 6000k. Anything over 6000k is a waste of money and makes visibility worse. Other benefits than just being brigher are, they last longer, produce wider/deeper beam patterns, use less energy. On the downside, they are rather expensive if you have to replace one and can/will piss people off at night (I always get the hi-beam flash).
Can we pick different K's ? I don't think so.Aware me please.
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Jdsmitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb View Post
So I'm about to pull the trigger on either Laredo X or Limited.I would go up just because the HID lights,but I want to know if it's worth the 2K + that they are asking for.What's your opinion ?

Thanks
I felt it was worth it to go limited for HIDs and all the other standard options limiteds have over laredo x... They seemed too close in price not to get the extras. I didn't get my wk2 yet since its on order so can't provide insight on te HIDs and how well they work
Jdsmitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
amill
2012 WK 

I will never own a car without Xenon/HID headlights again. The last 3 vehicles I've owned had them and I'll never go back to halogen. The light output is weak, plus I've never had to change a single bulb on a hid equipped car. So in my opinion i'd go with the limited. Sure you can put a drop in kit in, but realistically it'll never be the same. The cutoff is never as good as stock xenon equipped cars. You can't pick color temp, manufacturers use between 4300-5400k mostly.
amill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Webb
2012 WK 

No I don't want to deal with kits and aftermarket stuff,you can save a little in the beginning but at the end will be more costly.

So the HID are really worth the upgrade ?
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
WvTaco
2011 WK 

does the factory use a d4s bulb?>

the stuff i have fooled with are either d1s or d2s.

is so they are 4100k

and oem projector h.i.d. yes
a kit in your halogen reflectors. no

retro or get oem headlights or dont do it.

do u like all the chrome? limited has alot, the reason i didnt get it
do u like black wook or wood? i dislike wood another strike.
also qt1 vrs qt2 ( i think qt2 is standard)
also limited get nav standard and a sunroof ( i dislike sun roofs.)
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Webb
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
does the factory use a d4s bulb?>

the stuff i have fooled with are either d1s or d2s.

is so they are 4100k

and oem projector h.i.d. yes
a kit in your halogen reflectors. no

retro or get oem headlights or dont do it.

do u like all the chrome? limited has alot, the reason i didnt get it
do u like black wook or wood? i dislike wood another strike.
also qt1 vrs qt2 ( i think qt2 is standard)
also limited get nav standard and a sunroof ( i dislike sun roofs.)
Yeah the features I want are,sunroof/HID 430N/Leather/QII,I don't mind the chrome.
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Jdsmitty10

Misewell go limited then
Jdsmitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
WvTaco
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 View Post
Misewell go limited then
agreed you will like it more for your tastes.
plus u get heated rear seats.

now do u want tan or black interior?
v6 or hemi also.

i wanted leather, nav, tow package, no sunroof. so i got the X in greystone. but limited i would of got black inside.
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Webb
2012 WK 

V6 don't care about Hemi,with black interior.
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
WvTaco
2011 WK 

welp there is your baby.
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

I was skeptical on the halogens too, but I still went with the X since to me, +$2000 was too much for the main features I was missing out on (HIDs and memory seats). The halogens actually are pretty good. They give good visibility compared to other halogen headlights I've seen.
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
JVBW0527
2012 WK 

I love the HID's.....that's one of the reasons i went with the limited. I also was deciding between laredo x and the limited, but the extras the limited comes with plus the fact that i really want the adaptive cruise package.

I wanted the HID's because all my previous cars had halogen and i felt the night vision just wasn't good. The HID's are great at night you can see so much more, but i don't think they are to the point of blinding people. I don't find other people's HID's to bright if they are stock.....when they are NOT stock they are annoying and too bright and too blue.....
JVBW0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVBW0527 View Post
I love the HID's.....that's one of the reasons i went with the limited. I also was deciding between laredo x and the limited, but the extras the limited comes with plus the fact that i really want the adaptive cruise package.

I wanted the HID's because all my previous cars had halogen and i felt the night vision just wasn't good. The HID's are great at night you can see so much more, but i don't think they are to the point of blinding people. I don't find other people's HID's to bright if they are stock.....when they are NOT stock they are annoying and too bright and too blue.....
Agreed. Most aftermarket HID conversion kits are terrible. I have HIDs on my Lexus and I do miss not having them on my Laredo X, but the halogens are better than most I've seen.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.