Groaning noise in front left suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Groaning noise in front left suspension

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

Groaning noise in front left suspension

So lately i've been noticing this weird groaning noise coming from my front left suspension. I have a 2013 overland.

When coming to a stop, the front suspension obviously gets loaded. When the car comes to a stop and i let off the brakes, the suspension unloads and makes this low pitched groaning noise...this noise comes and goes and isnt reproducible on demand (maybe) a temp/humidity thing? Noise only comes from the driver side wheel area.

Figured i'd ask u guys before getting the whole "we can't reproduce your issue sir" from the dealer.

shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
iskra4X4

I'm getting the same thing. Started last night when I went over 2" of snow with the drivers side of the car. Checked for any snow build up in the wheel well - nothing. Its annoying.
iskra4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
dashrr
2012 WK 

Possile Bent Frt. Prop Shaft Shield

Look for a possible bent/deflected front prop shaft shield that could be making contact with the prop under certain conditions. Bend it back into position and you'll be good.
dashrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
ourlee
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Again
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
avalys
2014 JK Wrangler 

Weird, mine started doing exactly the same thing, in the exact same circumstances. I've also felt a vibration / motion in the brake pedal simultaneous with the noise. Mine has been intermittent as well.
avalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

I'm beginning to think its the brakes...right as you let off the brakes it groans a bit. Same thing happens sometimes when you're on a hill and you barely let the brakes go and it starts to roll, it'll make that groaning sound.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
onesaintsfan

I have the same thing, where would I find the bent prop shield...I had the brakes checked by dealership but they found nothing. I notice its loudest when I turn wheel while in drive and foot on brake.

Last edited by onesaintsfan; 03-26-2013 at 12:21 PM..
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
onesaintsfan

Could anyone help me locate this possible bent prop shield?
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
ck8848

Any of yall figure this problem out yet?
ck8848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
MickinNY
2013 WK 

I've gotten it a few times myself in the last couple months. It's very random & only last 1-2 seconds. I've had it happen going forward or reverse, and starts as soon as I do either from a dead stop. There isn't any pattern I can pinpoint it to when it happens....just comes out of the blue.
Looks like I'm not alone with this. My first hiccup at this point.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
MartyA
2012 WK 

This is a guess, and I haven't remembered hearing this on my 2012 Limited 3.6.

Take the caliper off the front left rotor and check the holes where the caliper shifts on the bolts. The caliper shifts to unload the non-caliper side and maybe it's building up some corrosion/debris that occasionally binds the caliper. It could be that it's making noise as the caliper shifts past this binding.

If this was sever you'd see the the brake pads wearing unevenly and eventually damage to the rotor but if it's only happening rarely then it might not have gotten to that stage.
MartyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
elliot2014

Unhappy Moaning / groaning front end in 2013 GC Overland V8

I have a 2013 GC Overland V8 2WD that has this problem. I've reported it, on 3 occasions, to the dealership but have been unable to reproduce the noise there (of course!). They thought they heard a whine in the serpentine belt so they removed it, removed paint on the pulley and reinstalled the belt but it didn't make any difference. I told them it's not a whine, it's a very loud moaning / groaning sound. My wife refuses to drive the car now it saying she's embarrassed sitting at a red light and having other drivers look over to her when the noise occurs.

HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM? IF SO, HOW?

Thanks!
elliot2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
HSTNJEEP
2013 WK 

This sounds like what I have begun experiencing. Just as you described. Always happens as I come to a stop, car in D. After stopping, within a few seconds I get the low, deep moan sound for a second or two. You can feel it in the pedal at times. Vibrates a bit. I keep trying to make it AC related. I need to next see if I can get it to happen with the AC off. If it never happens again with AC off, I guess it is AC related.

You ever find out what this was? Did it go away?

2013 WK2 Laredo, 3.6, Mineral Gray
2004 WJ Special Edition, 4.0, Graphite Metallic
HSTNJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
elliot2014

HSTNJEEP: Yes and Yes. I insisted that the dealership service manager keep the car and drive it back and forth to home and work until he can reproduce the sound. He finally heard it and when they looked a little deeper they found the H valve to be rattling internally and A/C lines vibrating. They evacuated the A/C system to test and replace the H-valve with gaskets. Also relocated trans breather line, checked and retorqued all bolts related to doors, hood and under vehicle. Hope this helps…..good luck !
elliot2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
HSTNJEEP
2013 WK 

Thanks. Were you still under warranty?
Any charge for service?

2013 WK2 Laredo, 3.6, Mineral Gray
2004 WJ Special Edition, 4.0, Graphite Metallic
HSTNJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.