JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Groaning noise in front left suspension (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/groaning-noise-front-left-suspension-1489788/)

shekshishekki 03-07-2013 05:57 PM

Groaning noise in front left suspension

So lately i've been noticing this weird groaning noise coming from my front left suspension. I have a 2013 overland.

When coming to a stop, the front suspension obviously gets loaded. When the car comes to a stop and i let off the brakes, the suspension unloads and makes this low pitched groaning noise...this noise comes and goes and isnt reproducible on demand (maybe) a temp/humidity thing? Noise only comes from the driver side wheel area.

Figured i'd ask u guys before getting the whole "we can't reproduce your issue sir" from the dealer.

iskra4X4 03-19-2013 10:14 AM

I'm getting the same thing. Started last night when I went over 2" of snow with the drivers side of the car. Checked for any snow build up in the wheel well - nothing. Its annoying.

dashrr 03-23-2013 05:52 AM

Possile Bent Frt. Prop Shaft Shield

Look for a possible bent/deflected front prop shaft shield that could be making contact with the prop under certain conditions. Bend it back into position and you'll be good.

ourlee 03-25-2013 11:26 AM

Again

avalys 03-25-2013 01:10 PM

Weird, mine started doing exactly the same thing, in the exact same circumstances. I've also felt a vibration / motion in the brake pedal simultaneous with the noise. Mine has been intermittent as well.

shekshishekki 03-25-2013 06:45 PM

I'm beginning to think its the brakes...right as you let off the brakes it groans a bit. Same thing happens sometimes when you're on a hill and you barely let the brakes go and it starts to roll, it'll make that groaning sound.

onesaintsfan 03-26-2013 11:48 AM

I have the same thing, where would I find the bent prop shield...I had the brakes checked by dealership but they found nothing. I notice its loudest when I turn wheel while in drive and foot on brake.

onesaintsfan 04-24-2013 04:39 PM

Could anyone help me locate this possible bent prop shield?

ck8848 05-29-2013 07:53 AM

Any of yall figure this problem out yet?

MickinNY 06-29-2013 10:26 AM

I've gotten it a few times myself in the last couple months. It's very random & only last 1-2 seconds. I've had it happen going forward or reverse, and starts as soon as I do either from a dead stop. There isn't any pattern I can pinpoint it to when it happens....just comes out of the blue.
Looks like I'm not alone with this. My first hiccup at this point.

MartyA 06-30-2013 12:27 PM

This is a guess, and I haven't remembered hearing this on my 2012 Limited 3.6.

Take the caliper off the front left rotor and check the holes where the caliper shifts on the bolts. The caliper shifts to unload the non-caliper side and maybe it's building up some corrosion/debris that occasionally binds the caliper. It could be that it's making noise as the caliper shifts past this binding.

If this was sever you'd see the the brake pads wearing unevenly and eventually damage to the rotor but if it's only happening rarely then it might not have gotten to that stage.

elliot2014 03-23-2014 08:59 PM

Moaning / groaning front end in 2013 GC Overland V8

I have a 2013 GC Overland V8 2WD that has this problem. I've reported it, on 3 occasions, to the dealership but have been unable to reproduce the noise there (of course!). They thought they heard a whine in the serpentine belt so they removed it, removed paint on the pulley and reinstalled the belt but it didn't make any difference. I told them it's not a whine, it's a very loud moaning / groaning sound. My wife refuses to drive the car now it saying she's embarrassed sitting at a red light and having other drivers look over to her when the noise occurs.

HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM? IF SO, HOW?

Thanks!

The time now is 01:24 PM.