Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 06-16-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
dsears00

Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune

I didn't see a thread solely for this topic, so I'm starting this one...

Iím just finishing week 3 with the GDE tune, but initial impressions have all been positive. The tune has really transformed this vehicle. The lack of a flash tool for the time being really isnít that big of a deal for me. If you donít want the details and just want the verdictÖ itís definitely two thumbs up and I wouldnít hesitate to do it again.

First up... power! Most notably in the hot Georgia "summer" is the fact this thing is now fun to drive with the AC on. Before it was lethargic, particularly off the line. Now it's as if I don't have the AC on. This is a major bonus for drivability and safety when pulling out into traffic. Basically, it has more power whenever I need it and the power is very smooth and linear.

0-60 runs were reduced .8 seconds on average. My best observed was 7.0 and worst was 7.3. I was getting anywhere from 7.8 to 8.0 stock. Additionally, this thing leaps out of the hole with a little power braking. It will probably surprise you the first time you do it. The power increase is really nice and gives the GC a lot more grunt without being ridiculous. It was pretty stout stock for a 5,500 lbs. vehicle, but you could tell it was just enough and nothing more. With the tune installed, it feels much stronger throughout and never struggles.

Next upÖ MPG. With all this extra power, you'd be shocked at the MPG increase. Iíve noticed that my instant mileage display shows approximately 4-5 MPG better than it was before. Highway MPG is up approximately 8 MPG at a constant 60 MPH. I couldnít believe it, so I ran my 52-mile test loop twice. I observed a hand calculated 38.8 MPG with the tune installed and 31 stock. Interestingly, the Dash Commander app was spot on with my hand calculations, but my EVIC was optimistic by 4 MPG.

City/Mixed MPG is also up, but not as much as highway MPG. Iím seeing around a 4 to 5 MPG increase in both of these conditions. This last week with city driving, itís been 23.9 MPGÖ and thatís with me driving it hard. I expect this will go up a couple more MPG once I settle back into normal driving habitsÖ if that is possible now. The bonus here is the vehicle is far more drivable than before and you get increased MPG. I no longer have to wring the neck of the GC to maneuver it around Atlanta traffic like before.

Turbo LagÖ feels to be reduced in normal, but unfortunately the limiting factor here is the transmission. The transmission just will not let this thing lug. If you manually hold the gear and roll-on, you can definitely tell a difference. However, this really isnít a practical way to drive this thing. Itís good to know though, because this can be really handy when towing a trailer

Another reason I went with the GDE tune over others was the reduced soot and DEF dosing. With the EGR/Turbo coking and SRC failures, Iím hopefully these two additional benefits will increase the longevity of these parts and keep me a long way away from the stealerships.

Long-term review nextÖ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-17-2015, 05:17 AM
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds awesome. I'm surprised its taking so long for the aftermarket to catch up with the 3.0 diesel in the Rams and Jeeps, seeing how popular mods are to cummins engines and the heavy duty trucks. Really wish I had the diesel.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
post #3 of 32 Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The new ECUs are locked down pretty tight and its a lot of effort to break the code, hack in, and then figure out what to change. Its quite an investment and vendors want to be sure that there will be some return on it. Most initial efforts cause multiple check faults, each of which take awhile to sort out. It was a lot easier for just about anyone to break in and fiddle a few years ago.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 32 Old 06-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Cherokee30D
2007 WK 

I am surprised that GDE are taking so long to release the flash tool given that their WK tune has been so successful.
There are quite a few watchers here in Oz.

Come on GDE. Get your act together and release the flash tool.

Cheers, Craig
post #5 of 32 Old 06-17-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
dsears00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee30D
I am surprised that GDE are taking so long to release the flash tool given that their WK tune has been so successful. There are quite a few watchers here in Oz. Come on GDE. Get your act together and release the flash tool. Cheers, Craig
It's my understanding that another party develops the flash tool. As of right now, they haven't been given a solid ETA. That will hold up international sales as they don't want to risk shipping ECMs overseas.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-16-2015, 09:15 PM
offroadnewb
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My ECM is at GDE right now for my 2014 Ecodiesel limited 2WD. Glad to see a positive review on it, as my search results have been limited on feedback. At $750, it's no cheap tune. I'll be popping in to see how yours is holding up. Thanks.
post #7 of 32 Old 02-08-2016, 06:46 AM
Tweezer19
2014 WK 

I wanted to check in on the GDE Hot Tune. Do you take your WK2 off-road?

2014 Overland Diesel w/ ORAII and Adv Tech Pkg
post #8 of 32 Old 02-08-2016, 11:44 AM
ferntree
2014 WK 

Thanks for the update on this. I have been watching with great interest since GD released this tune, and all the feedback has been very good.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, rock rails, Cooper AT3's - oh yeah!!
Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
post #9 of 32 Old 02-10-2016, 01:12 AM
diverb
2014 WK 

I'm currently running the GDE tune for comparison and I'm very impressed with it. Fuel economy is fantastic. I'm seeing 21 while towing my snowmobile trailer, which is 3mpg more than what I was getting

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel -PPEI DPF/SCR delete tune, Custom 3" down pipe, BANKS Exhaust
post #10 of 32 Old 02-10-2016, 05:04 AM
GCBurt
Completely Diesel

2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverb View Post
I'm currently running the GDE tune for comparison and I'm very impressed with it. Fuel economy is fantastic. I'm seeing 21 while towing my snowmobile trailer, which is 3mpg more than what I was getting
With the exception of the exhaust, did you remove the other "Banks" items? Is the GDE tune considerably better in your estimation?

CW5 Retired - Master Army Aviator & MTFE

2015 WK2 Overland, Deep Cherry with Brown/Light Frost interior, 3.0L Diesel, Block Heater, AT, OR2, Nokian Rotiiva shoes, Weather Tech Floor Liners and air deflectors, Mopar mud flaps, JeepEcoDieselFIX & Diesel Fuel Filler Cap, aFe Pro-DRY S Filter.
post #11 of 32 Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 AM
diverb
2014 WK 

Yep. I left the BANKS water-meth in place, and I still use the iQ to monitor the engine vitals, but as far as tuning and performance, I prefer the GDE or PPEI tune

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel -PPEI DPF/SCR delete tune, Custom 3" down pipe, BANKS Exhaust
post #12 of 32 Old 02-10-2016, 06:50 PM
bpbpimajeep14

Just waiting to pull the trigger on this tune. What kind of exhaust did you go with. I have heard a straight pipe on YouTube and it sounds nice but was hoping for a nice throaty sound not a raspy one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #13 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 AM
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

diverb,

Can you describe the differences in the GDE tune vs. the PPEI? in terms of sound, performance, launch, smoothness, fuel economy, and overall drive ability?
post #14 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 07:17 AM
diverb
2014 WK 

The PPEI tune is a hotter tune, not really sure that's a scientific term, but with the PPEI tune there is a noticeable turbo lag as the turbo spools and then the vehicle launches and its aggressive. I noticed much higher EGT temps with the PPEI tune which is alarming if you are going to tow. Because I believe PPEI is doing with their tune is adding more fuel to the injectors, if you jump on it hard, there is black soot coming out from the tail pipe which is of course unburnt fuel and money wasted.

With the GDE tune, the turbo is not spending as much time spooling as with the PPEI and the vehicle just seems more fluid and linear with the GDE tune. I find the GDE tune is much nicer for day to day driving, shifts are nice and smooth, still plenty of boost for launches without being violent. Also my EGT temps are lower by 150-200 degrees with the GDE tune. I have run two complete tanks of fuel on the GDE tune, and that's with normal city driving, idle time letting the vehicle warm up after sitting outside at work all night, and the first tank was 26.4 mpg (pretty good for winter blend diesel and lots of idle time) and the second tank included a 400 mile trip towing my snowmobile trailer to the U.P. of Michigan, and that was 23.2mpg.

As far as sound, I noticed the PPEI tune at idle had a lot of turbo whine, my guess is the compressor wheel is spinning faster maybe, not really sure. The GDE tune at idle is a bit more mellow. I have a video clip of the PPEI tune at idle and I can make one with the GDE tune to post if guys are interested.

In my opinion, with the lower EGT's, better fuel economy, and more consistent power throughout the RPM spectrum in all gears, the GDE tune is the better and safer route to go with the Ecodiesel.

post #15 of 32 Old 02-12-2016, 10:55 AM
GCBurt
Completely Diesel

2015 WK 

diverB,

Thanks for the background on the GDE and PPEI. How did the PPEI compare to the Banks system you had at one time? That was a system that (I think) just added more fuel.

Immaterial of Banks Water/Meth system you kept, were the Banks and PPEI similar?

Did the Water/Meth reduce the EGT of the PPEI's increased temp?

On my Silverado, I had to drill the exhaust for the Bank's EGT sensor - was that done to your 3.0 EcoDiesel so you could monitor EGT?

GCBurt

CW5 Retired - Master Army Aviator & MTFE

2015 WK2 Overland, Deep Cherry with Brown/Light Frost interior, 3.0L Diesel, Block Heater, AT, OR2, Nokian Rotiiva shoes, Weather Tech Floor Liners and air deflectors, Mopar mud flaps, JeepEcoDieselFIX & Diesel Fuel Filler Cap, aFe Pro-DRY S Filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.