Grand Cherokee shut off while driving... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee shut off while driving...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Tortuqa
2011 WK 

Grand Cherokee shut off while driving...

This is the second time that my grand cherokee has died on me and I'm a little scared to drive it now. This started happening after the dealership replaced the TIPM because it was faulty.

The first time it died on me I had to slam my brakes because a car pulled out in front of me. My car stopped most of the way and then the engine went dead... and I was left with no power brakes and no power steering. I had no error codes and the car started up once I put it in Park and pressed the start button. I did not accidentally hit the start/stop button when braking because it's physically impossible to do so.

The second time happened right now on the way home and almost caused an accident. I was on the PCH highway and decided to pull a U-turn to park so that the wife and I could see the sunset. Half-way through the U-turn and the damn car died on me. It didn't sputter like it didn't have fuel, just shut off. I had a full tank of 89 gas from Chevron. Again, no brake assist and no power steering. I'm stuck in the middle of the highway and luckily the few cars that were coming at me stopped. I've never been this pissed off at a car in my life. I'm taking it into the dealership on Monday and calling Chrysler to let them know about this.

Unread 10-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
BlckWK2
2014 WK 

Could it be the TIPM as also mentioned here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...nally-2753154/
BlckWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Yike's, could lead to real serious accident. Document all you can just in case. All the new cars now with all the electronics are a real pain and in my opinion, something that can lead to serious failure when you don't expect it. No warning etc. just shut down.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Tortuqa
2011 WK 

Well I took it to the dealership and they couldn't replicate the issue so they gave me back my car. They said that they checked the tipm and didn't find anything wrong with it. Here's the kicker. It died on me a block after picking it up!!!!! I took it back and one of the service guys got in the car with me and asked me to replicate it. Of course I couldn't and they told me just to drive it around until " the issue progresses further". I'm so upset I'm thinking maybe I should just trade it in and get something more reliable...
Unread 10-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
bluegrassguitar
2011 WK 

There is, and has been for some time, an issue with the TIPM on 2011 models. Chrysler is in the process of replacing the fuel pump relays on 233,000 vehicles with an external one, whatever that means. My 2011 has not cut off on me (yet) but sometimes fails to start at all until the 3rd, 4th attempt. I'm waiting on my official recall notice.
bluegrassguitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
Tortuqa
2011 WK 

The TIPM is brand new on my grand cherokee and from what I've read the issue with the TIPM will prevent the car from turning on not shutting off while driving. The dealership double checked the TIPM when I dropped it off and they said it was fine.
Unread 10-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
BlckWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuqa View Post
The TIPM is brand new on my grand cherokee and from what I've read the issue with the TIPM will prevent the car from turning on not shutting off while driving. The dealership double checked the TIPM when I dropped it off and they said it was fine.
TIPM problem also has symptoms of "turning off" the vehicle while driving. Maybe go to another dealer for another opinion? Could be a faulty "new" TIPM module.

Quote:
Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) announced a safety recall on all 2011 model year (WD/WK) Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee equipped with a 3.6L or 5.7L engine.

Some of the above vehicles may experience a failure in the electric fuel pump relay located within the Totally Integrated Power Module-7 (TIPM-7). A vehicle with a failed fuel pump relay may intermittently or permanently:
  • not start.
  • not start on the first attempt.
  • not stay running upon startup.
  • cause the engine to stall while driving.
  • cause the electric fuel pump to remain energized after vehicle shutdown.
Chrysler will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all involved vehicles to install a standalone external electric fuel pump relay.

Note: this is an announcement. This recall has not yet been launched. I'm not sure at this point of timing and the affected vehicle list is not yet complete.

Recall Notification will be mailed to the customer's address on record.
Launched/outstanding recalls can be checked on-line using the VIN on the Chrysler, Dodge, Ram and Jeep brand Web sites through the "For Owners" page.

If it is determined that the customer's vehicle is included in the recall and repairs have already been completed at the customer's expense, the recall notification will direct customers on how to submit original receipts for reimbursement.
BlckWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
Tortuqa
2011 WK 

Oh damn, I'm sorry I didn't believe you guys before. I'm going to let my dealership know about this, if they don't want to do something about this I will go somewhere else.
Unread 10-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
EmileN
2011 WK 

I'm getting an intermittent no-start issue where the engine turns and turns but no start in the morning. My 2011 Overland Hemi is at the dealer now and as of yesterday, they couldn't replicate. I called them back and informed them about the known faulty TIPM issue, and told them not to do the relay bypass fix as i want to try to get the whole revised TIPM module that's now available. If they wont replace the whole TIPM, i may try another dealer.
My question is how could the dealer not know about this issue? And, why doesn't the car store any error codes to help them diagnose quickly?
Maybe i got spoiled by my Audi which stores error codes for practically anything that happens.
EmileN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Scout
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileN View Post
I'm getting an intermittent no-start issue where the engine turns and turns but no start in the morning. My 2011 Overland Hemi is at the dealer now and as of yesterday, they couldn't replicate. I called them back and informed them about the known faulty TIPM issue, and told them not to do the relay bypass fix as i want to try to get the whole revised TIPM module that's now available. If they wont replace the whole TIPM, i may try another dealer.
My question is how could the dealer not know about this issue? And, why doesn't the car store any error codes to help them diagnose quickly?
Maybe i got spoiled by my Audi which stores error codes for practically anything that happens.
Same problem, same experience here. It is surreal that the dealerships are clueless on this issue. Something is going to have to give soon. My wife's been left sitting twice this week. If this crap continues, we'll trade it on another brand.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
BiLLyb0b
2014 WK 

sounds like a case of a class action lawsuit for people to get rich!
BiLLyb0b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #12
Tortuqa
2011 WK 

I agree with you Scout, I'm pretty close to trading this in and getting something more reliable. The dealership told me that they replaced the TIPM and it shouldn't give me any more issues. We'll see how my grand cherokee will behave on my next 2000 mile trip to chicago and back...
Unread 10-10-2014, 03:36 AM   #13
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Just a comment about the dealerships being clueless..... They often are. I have recommended to my service manager ( who I rarely visit ) that he and his staff read this forum everyday. It should be required reading for every Jeep dealership period. Until they do , I will read the forums and do my own work or inform them how to do it if it is warranty. In the cases noted in this thread with dying Jeeps ..... The dealerships should keep your cars and personally drive them home to replicate the issues. This failure is serious stuff .

I love Jeeps.... My 14 is my 5 th one..... But the sudden loss of power with no resolution would push me into a different brand also.

Personally I would find a different dealer.... If you drive PCH , you have access to many.
Ah673000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
EmileN
2011 WK 

Just to update - After first not being able to replicate the issue (delayed or no start), the dealer ended up performing recommended the TIPM Kit fix with the fuel relay bypass.
I asked about getting a whole new TIPM but they insisted that would be out of pocket, since that is not part of Jeep's bulletin for the fix.
Interestingly, since they have no official recall yet for the fix, i had to use my extended warranty and pay the deductible. Hopefully i can submit for reimbursement once Jeep issues the safety recall.
They also applied several software updates to my 2011 Overland Hemi.
EmileN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
nyrhockey23

Definitely take it to another dealer. They are often clueless, as has been mentioned before...On my current car, back when it was new, the "ESC Off" light came on whenever i'd turn off the car and start it back again after a few mins (for example, gas fill up). I took it to the dealer where i bought it a few times and each time they said they did the software update but the light came coming on. Eventually i gave up on them and went to a different dealer and they said they found a faulty sensor and replaced it and the car has been fine ever since, 7yrs and going.
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.