Grand Cherokee Limited versus Overland 2015 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee Limited versus Overland 2015

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and TERAFLEX JK Speed bump kit AND limiting strap kit!! AT ROCRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
seosmp

Grand Cherokee Limited versus Overland 2015

Hi,

[I also posted this on the Jeep Buying Forum.]

I have owned a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am now looking for a new car to replace the 2001 and am leaning towards another Grand Cherokee (only reason not to would be fuel efficiency).

I was looking at the Overland (since it has most of the packages I want as standard features) but am concerned about the Quadra Lift in terms of maintenance and repair cost. I do not plan to do any off-roading. Would it be foolish to get an Overland and be stuck with large repair costs down the road? Would it be more cost-effective to just get a Limited with all the options I want? The cost ends up being around the same (w/ fewer options on the Limited).

These are the options I'm looking at:

Advanced Technology Group
Luxury Group II (required due to Adv Tech Group)
Tow package
UConnect 8.4/Nav/etc.
20" wheels - maybe?

Any advice would be much appreciated, including other reasons to go one way vs the other.

Thanks!

seosmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
perpster
2015 WK 

I was in the same boat. Wound up getting the '15 Overland with Adv Tech Group, and having dealer put the Mopar skid plates on (cost about $1,000 parts and labor). Before buying, I thought QL was gimmicky. Was I wrong! I love QL and the Overland. I use the QL a lot, even on the road. It has come in very handy with all the snow in the NE. For you in Chicago, that's important also. You won't bottom out on plowed snow as easily, and you can raise the car to help it. And you can lower the car for easy entry/exit/loading/unloading.

Adv Tech is awesome, too. My vote would be go with Overland. FWIW, '15 Limited does NOT have dual exhaust; '15 Overland does. Also, something I thought was a waste that I love in the Overland: heated steering wheel!

Another way to look at it: for a little more than cost of the Ltd with all the extras mentioned, the Overland gives you all that plus QL. Adding the skid plates gives you everything in the ORAII package, except the 18" wheels. I'm no expert off-roader, but my limited experience (not the Ltd car) and what I've heard/read, 20" wheels will do for just about anything 18" wheels will do for, except rock crawling. (the tow pkg is std on Overland).
perpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

I looked at a 2014 loaded Limited and bought a 2015 Overland for about $2000 less than the Limited.
The big option on the limited was the entertainment center which I didn't need (no one rides for far in my backseat).
lurtonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
TJSport97
2014 WK 

I felt the same way too. Haven't had any troubles with the QL on mine either. If you do mostly highway driving the 'Areo' mode is nice and the 'Park' mode is really nice when my older inlaws are getting in and out of the vehicle. Seems to be good for on road and off road situations. If you are buying an Overland and it's not a 4X4 I don't think you would have the QL anyway.
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Those with QL anxiety purchase a Chrysler max care lifetime warranty for something like $2500 up front. Its not only QL but many of the other $$$ to repair tech items.
Unread 02-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
seosmp

Thanks for all the replies!

Perhaps the best approach is to get the Overland with the extended warranty -- as mentioned.

Now the hard part -- negotiating a price that makes me feel like I'm not being taken for!

Thanks!
seosmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
weimar_police

Well, I looked at the Overland, but what I wanted was the extended roof window (sorry, mind is blank on real name ) - wanted the V8 and many of the lux items, plus wanted it in Black or the Metallic Steel - ended up with black

Added the tow hitch a month after purchase

Imagine I would have liked the QL but did not get it with this vehicle.
weimar_police is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

I have the Overland and use/ like the QL .

I use it daily when I park it in the garage to lower the Jeep so the rear hatch door clears our " hurricane reinforced " garage door . My wife ( 5'3") loves the entry: exit height also. And if you service your Jeep you will appreciate the different height adjustments . As far as reliability .... I figure if it makes 36 months with no infant mortality failures , it's good to go the 5 years I need . No extended warranty here....

And in some colors , the Overland just looks better with the painted wheel surrounds . Mine is red , and it looks incredible in the bright Florida sun!
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
Super_Rep

I have the Limited Ecodiesel with the Advanced Technology Group
Luxury Group II (required due to Adv Tech Group)
Tow package
UConnect 8.4/Nav/etc.
Trail Rated
and now have 15,000 miles on it.
I have been off road with it in Dragoon Mts SE AZ, Moab, and Quartzite. The Quadra Lift has been flawless and is really great, especially off road on rocky trails.
moab-jeep-run-006.jpg

Super_Rep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #10
perpster
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Those with QL anxiety purchase a Chrysler max care lifetime warranty for something like $2500 up front. Its not only QL but many of the other $$$ to repair tech items.
I was poking around on their website, and did not see any of the QL components mentioned under Suspension, or anywhere else. Do we know for sure that QL is covered? They do say "If it's mechanical it's covered". But without seeing it in the fine print I'm not comfortable that it is covered.
perpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The basic policies list what is included, the max care lifetime policies list exclusions (those not covered). My dealer said QL was covered. As far as I know nothing changed, but you may want to check the contract or ask the dealer for current policies.
Unread 02-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
EugenetheMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpster View Post
I was in the same boat. Wound up getting the '15 Overland with Adv Tech Group, and having dealer put the Mopar skid plates on (cost about $1,000 parts and labor). Before buying, I thought QL was gimmicky. Was I wrong! I love QL and the Overland. I use the QL a lot, even on the road. It has come in very handy with all the snow in the NE. For you in Chicago, that's important also. You won't bottom out on plowed snow as easily, and you can raise the car to help it. And you can lower the car for easy entry/exit/loading/unloading.

Adv Tech is awesome, too. My vote would be go with Overland. FWIW, '15 Limited does NOT have dual exhaust; '15 Overland does. Also, something I thought was a waste that I love in the Overland: heated steering wheel!

Another way to look at it: for a little more than cost of the Ltd with all the extras mentioned, the Overland gives you all that plus QL. Adding the skid plates gives you everything in the ORAII package, except the 18" wheels. I'm no expert off-roader, but my limited experience (not the Ltd car) and what I've heard/read, 20" wheels will do for just about anything 18" wheels will do for, except rock crawling. (the tow pkg is std on Overland).
I believe that's only the v6 model. I believe the 5.7 Hemi option does come with dual exhaust.
EugenetheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
EugenetheMagic

I currently own a 2009 Rocky Mountain edition which I have upgraded myself with leather, wood/leather steering wheel, wood appliques, and a Kenwood touchscreen stereo and Navi. May be looking to trade in and I am potentially in the same boat - Limited loaded vs. Overland. I would get a 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi in either case. Not going to do much off-roading but want the 4x4 for wet traction and those few times we get ice and/or snow in the winter down here and for occasional towing. I would get the Luxury Group II and the 20" wheels with the Limited and tow package in either case.
- Does the Lux Group II come with Navi? On the website it says something like, Nav-ready.
- I'm not real crazy about the open pore wood in the Overland.
- What are the determining criteria for whether you get the copper colored trim or the silver colored trim?

Biggest thing, I have read SO much negative press on the WK2 quality problems especially with the 2014 model year; tranny problems, electrical, clunking noises, etc. Does anyone have any feel for whether the 2015s are any better? Have they legitimately fixed these issues? My '09 runs great and is very reliable. The new ones are beautiful but I don't want to buy a pretty problem.
EugenetheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

We have three 2014/2015 GC s in the neighborhood .... One limited , two Overlands . All 4x4s with the V6.

Trade ins were 2006 MDX, 2009 Denali, 2002 Jeep GC.......

Total issues...... None. Love them.

Buy one if you like it..... Frankly Get tired of all the
Jeep unreliable stuff..... On number 5 and they have all been better then all the so called super reliable stuff I have also owned ( Honda, BMW, Ford, Chevy, Mazda) .

Never have owned a Toyota..... Just never could get past the ugly, boring factors with them.

My June , 2013 build Overland is at 14,000 and has averaged 21 MPGs as of today.... Leaving on another road trip tomorrow .... Beautiful ride.
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The nav/HD radio from the factory is an ~700 option on top of the Lux package. Dealer can add nav but not HD radio to the Lux group radio, ~$500 if I recall correctly.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_2015_pricing.htm has a pretty good breakout of whats in each of the packages.

So list the options that are must haves and don't wants and price out each (Limited with options or Overland) to see which provides the best value. In 2011 the Overland was a better value for me, but that changes year to year and is very dependent on your must have, nice to have, and don't want list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.