Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Goodbye to mandatory Start/Stop?

11K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  PeterChang 
#1 ·
Please, please, please let this be true: smartstop

#4 ·
Wonderful news! It is a nice feature, but without the timeout being configurable, it can be a distraction in stop and go traffic.

-Paul

#6 ·
I thought I would hate the auto stop/start feature but really haven't had an issue with it. Lightly easing up on the brake pedal starts the engine. I've found that I anticipate when I need to start moving and will let up a little to start the engine just before I need to start going.

If I was in stop and go traffic I'd probably disable it during that time though. But for normal around town driving it isn't too bad.

#11 ·
The owners manual specifically states that the car is designed to always reset the stop start disable for each drive cycle.

This is likely how FCA can claim an improvement in gas mileage and helps them meet the Corporate Average Fuel Economy regulations.

I think it is highly improbable that we will ever see a solution from the factory for this reason.

#15 ·
I don't have this feature on my '11 JGC, but I do on my MB E-coupe, and unless MB does it much better than Jeep, for the life of me I don't understand what the issue is. I follow a Cadillac forum (owned a DTS) and the CTS owners whine incessantly about the feature--I would expect that since they're likely more whimpy than Jeep owners. But come on guys. Granted, in Maine we don't have a lot of stop n go traffic where the feature might become annoying (which is when I shut it off). But otherwise it's virtually unobtrusive. And I've never been caught in a situation where I wanted to move out quickly and was delayed because of the restart. About the only thing I notice when it's working is how quiet it gets when the engine shuts off. Wouldn't mind having the feature on my Jeep--the Hemi sucks up more gas at idle than the coupe's V6.....

#17 ·
Yeah, you said it yourself....you don't have a lot of start and stop traffic in Maine. Try living in Los Angeles, where a one mile stretch of congested freeway results in DOZENS of STOP/STARTS, and the delay in starting up can be a safety hazard when making left hand turns with oncoming traffic. Take a look at the link whitexkr provided above....the JGC Stop/Start system is the worst.

#25 ·
I just got my 2016 GC, and I actually really like the feature. Mind you, I live in the DC area and travel all around it so I get stop and go. My commutes are not the same every day, so if I get stuck in real stop-and-go on the beltway or something, I turn it off. But otherwise, I love the feature and it works really smoothly.

If you knew that every single day you would be in stop-and-go for every morning and every evening commute - yeah, I could see just wanting to disable it and not have to worry about it. It all probably comes down to your drive.

2 cents please, lol.

#32 ·
I purchased this last week

Team -

I purchased this Stop/Start device last week from Steve and here's my feedback:

+ This installs in 2 seconds
+ This works

I don't know what else to tell you - not having to press the (A) button every time I get in the car IS worth the $$, and my wife fully agrees. This little gem works as designed, and appears to have had no adverse effects on anything else with the Jeep.

I'm a HAPPY CUSTOMER!!!!

KB
2016 4x4 Summit

#33 ·
I took delivery of my Grand Cherokee on 01Oct16, we bought it in September. I do not have a problem with the Start/Stop option. It bothers my wife.:mad: But I believe I have her trained to turn it on or off,:rolleyes: after starting the vehicle to turn it off. I automatically turn it off, One of the features I really dislike is the blind spot feature it's a real PITA.And I hate the Transmission Paddle Shifters.:thumbdown: I am glad that I can disable that feature, I only have 98 miles on the JGC so far. Maybe I will take it out and drive it a few miles this week end. I need to get a Base Plate and a Tow Bar set up for it so we can tow it behind the RV.

#34 ·
What don't you like about the blind spot? I didn't like the park sense annoying me and turned that off, but the blind spot RADAR has saved me a few times.

#35 ·
When we drove the Jeep the first time, all the bells and whistles seemed to startle the crap out of us. It just takes a few days getting used to. On my Ram Truck the darn GPS system announces when you are 5 miles an hour over the posted speed limit. (That's not safe here in Mexifornia, you need to drive 90 MPH just to keep from getting run over by the Illegal Aliens that Gov. Moonbeam issued Drivers Licenses to):surprise:

#40 ·
If you are referring to the smartstopstart device, the answer is no, it will not cause any issues.

It passively sits on the car's network (plugs into the connector next to the light under the dashboard). It just looks for presses of of the ESS disable button (the A with a circle) or the SPORT enable button and remembers them in its flash memory. Then when the car is started, it sends the codes for those button presses automatically to restore your preferred settings. That's it...it does not meddle in any other way with the vehicle and can be unplugged at any time to restore original factory operation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.