GC stalled on highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > GC stalled on highway

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
dawgn86

GC stalled on highway

Please any suggestions---2012 Jeep GC Laredo...v8 Hemi...60000 miles

about a month ago, we had the fuel relay recall done at a dealer; next day car wont start. Dealer towed it in and refixed it.

Today, driving down the highway, it suddenly just quit after traction control light came on. This in on major interstate north of Atlanta. After a few minutes they car started and they drove it to next exit for safety and tow truck on its way.

The dealer just changed the oil yesterday and today this...

any suggestions?

dawgn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Blackshirts
2012 WK 

What did the dealer "Re-fix"? Did they admit the recall work on the fuel pump relay wasn't correct of the parts failed"
Blackshirts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
dawgn86

Blackshirts...I will find out Monday...just seems an odd coincidence the day after they changed the oil, this happens.
Unread 12-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
dawgn86

Hi,

So I got my GC back yesterday from the dealer...it was a "loose connection" in the TIPM module.

Can someone give me some guidance as to what the TIPM does, why would there be loose connections..is this a common problem?

Thanks
Unread 12-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its not unusual to have a TIPM connection problem after the recall. They have to do surgery on one of the connectors. The TIPM basically is a computer that takes in commands from other modules and powers things up/down, and monitors current draw... like fuel pumps, starters, lights...

"The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is a combination unit that performs the functions of the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and the Front Control Module. The TIPM is a printed circuit board based module that contains fuses, internal relays and a microprocessor. The TIPM is located in the engine compartment next to the passenger side strut tower. The B+ cable connects directly to the TIPM via a stud located on top of the unit. The ground connection is via electrical connectors. The TIPM provides the primary means of voltage distribution and protection for the entire vehicle.

The molded plastic TIPM housing includes a base and cover. The TIPM cover is easily opened or removed for service and has a fuse and relay layout map integral to the inside surface of the cover. The TIPM housing base and cover are secured in place via mounting tabs. The mounting tabs secure the TIPM to the TIPM mounting bracket.

All of the current from the battery and the generator output enters the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) via a stud on the top of the module. The TIPM cover is removed to access the fuses or relays. Internal connections of all of the power distribution center circuits is accomplished by a combination of bus bars and a printed circuit board. "
Unread 12-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
dawgn86

Coldcase..no disrespect intended, but that doesnt seem unusual to me, especially when its your daughter stalling on a major interstate in Atlanta doing 75mph...seems like a cheap way out for the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Its not unusual to have a TIPM connection problem after the recall. They have to do surgery on one of the connectors. The TIPM basically is a computer that takes in commands from other modules and powers things up/down, and monitors current draw... like fuel pumps, starters, lights...

"The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is a combination unit that performs the functions of the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and the Front Control Module. The TIPM is a printed circuit board based module that contains fuses, internal relays and a microprocessor. The TIPM is located in the engine compartment next to the passenger side strut tower. The B+ cable connects directly to the TIPM via a stud located on top of the unit. The ground connection is via electrical connectors. The TIPM provides the primary means of voltage distribution and protection for the entire vehicle.

The molded plastic TIPM housing includes a base and cover. The TIPM cover is easily opened or removed for service and has a fuse and relay layout map integral to the inside surface of the cover. The TIPM housing base and cover are secured in place via mounting tabs. The mounting tabs secure the TIPM to the TIPM mounting bracket.

All of the current from the battery and the generator output enters the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) via a stud on the top of the module. The TIPM cover is removed to access the fuses or relays. Internal connections of all of the power distribution center circuits is accomplished by a combination of bus bars and a printed circuit board. "
Unread 12-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgn86 View Post
Coldcase..no disrespect intended, but that doesnt seem unusual to me, especially when its your daughter stalling on a major interstate in Atlanta doing 75mph...seems like a cheap way out for the dealer.
You asked if it was a common problem. I have seen several reported here, so its not unusual in my opinion, but it does seem to be relatively rare. On mine, they blew out a fusible link. I didn't mean to imply anything about how critical or serious the situation is, just that it happens.
Unread 12-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
dawgn86

Got it back and seems to be doing fine for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.