Is the GC 2013-14 4WD drive train reliable ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Is the GC 2013-14 4WD drive train reliable ?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
picard12

how well does GC 4WD system work in snow & mud? is it really 4X4 part-time or full time ?

picard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard12 View Post
how well does GC 4WD system work in snow & mud? is it really 4X4 part-time or full time ?
I have already stated mult times it works fantastic in snow. We got record snow in our area this year so I should know. I also winter hike and drive into unplowed trailheads often 1-2 feet deep. No issues

I cannot comment on mud.

It is full time, something you will have a tough time finding in competitors. Even the basic QT1 was fantastic in the snow.

The select terrain system allows you to select the conditions
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Works better than anything short of perhaps a recent military vehicle you can't buy.

Dunno what you mean by full time and part time. Those terms can mean a lot of different things. The WK2 system is a smart system.

There are two choices.

The QTI is what some may consider AWD plus full time brake traction control. There is no shifting, always there very effective.

The QTII is a bit better for severe weather. It can lock the transfercase and also provides a 4LO gear ratio. You can manually shift to 4LO for those severe off road conditions, hill decent control, or when pulling a boat out of the water. You would not run 4LO on pavement. Normally you don't touch it otherwise except to select desired control algorithms. QTII provides traction and control algorithms optimum for snow, sand, mud, rocks, and normal roads. You pick the one you want and the software and drive train does the rest. It just works. The transfercase is fully locked or fully open and anywhere in between by the traction computer based on the environment and your selection. The system also uses brake traction control. The QD option on top of QTII system includes a locking rear axle, rare to find today.

The short answer: it works better than any system out there you can buy. Just put your foot into the throttle and go, makes mediocre drivers look good.

Tires selected for your driving conditions will make the system even work better.
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
picard12

which tire brand & type is best for GC ?
picard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Depends, not one tire is optimum for all conditions. For example, blizzacks are great on snow and ice but wear suffers when the temperature rises over 50 degrees. Not the best 75 mph summer touring tire, wouldn't want to have to depend on them in more than an inch of mud either.

Read through this thread for some ideas: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...hread-1141422/
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
That is a subjective question. There is no ranking system of the tires that are best for a vehicle. It depends on your needs. What I think is best is different from yours.

Read the multiple tire and wheel threads.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Any tire but Goodyear

Quote:
Its a crap shoot with Goodyear. Crapyear can produce some decent tires but the problem is their quality control sucks so you may get 3 good ones and one bad one with a GC. Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Toyo, Continental and Pirelli all have better quality control than Goodyear. Some Chinese tire company you have never heard of has better quality control than Goodyear.

I prefer 18" wheels on a GC. the 20" wheels and Goodyear tires do not provide a significant increase in dry weather handling to justify the cost or the crappy quality control.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
I swapped out the stock Michelin Latitudes for the LTX M/S2 tires on my new Overland. No regrets. Go to Tire Rack.com and read the reviews to see which tire suits your needs. Their ratings system is pretty all inclusive.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
I swapped out the stock Michelin Latitudes for the LTX M/S2 tires on my new Overland. No regrets. Go to Tire Rack.com and read the reviews to see which tire suits your needs. Their ratings system is pretty all inclusive.
Just remember most folks writing the reviews of the tires on the Tirerack website dont know difference between oversteer from understeer and probably know less about tires than you do. You should read up in what the advantages and disadvantages are of all terrains vs a tire like the stock Goodyears on 20's. Or the pros and cons of going to a Mud terrain tire. Just FYI current issue of JP magazine has articles about tires. They provide a lot of good info.

Depending on where you live you may want to consider a winter tire. A/Ts and M/Ts do not perform as well in snow and ice as a dedicated winter tire.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If you are looking at tire rack ratings (and other tire shops), you must read the reviews to filter out the chaff. There are often excellent comment there by drivers that know tires.... along with nonsense. The test are also decent, but you need to read them from your POV, which may be different than the author.

I have never been led wrong by info on tire rack, except for being a bit disappointed with the general grabber wear, which everyone raved about three years ago.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
fd12me

I believe there are two very different drive trains in the 13 and 14 (same engines, diff trannys). However...Let me tell you what happened to me. I bought a '13 explorer in April 2012--I got stockholder pricing (100 shares or more and you get employee pricing, something I wish Chrysler had[or do they, please tell me I'm just uninformed]) and had been a ford guy for years (my '04 would have driven on piss after a night out drinking). The 2013 sh*t the bed. It was lemon lawed and I went to Jeep because it had been reported that Ford had lost the most reliability % ratings whereas Jeep had gained the most reliability--as a cop we had a Jeep GC as a unmarked and it was not ultra reliable in that setting, so if you were thinking of idling for a long time then chasing bandits in the inner city, the WK2 is not the right ride- but my '14 has been one of the nicest cars I've had yet-I haven't had any of the "service 4WD sys" that were reported w the '13 when in sand., but I still have low miles...I will remark that the 1st to 2nd upshift is rough from about 500mi to 3000mi-that tranny needs some break in.
fd12me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #27
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd12me View Post
I got stockholder pricing (100 shares or more and you get employee pricing, something I wish Chrysler had[or do they, please tell me I'm just uninformed])
There is no special stockholder pricing at Chrysler. Fiat owns the majority of Chrysler.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.