FYI - Service Bulletin 26-004-12 - 2011-2012 Fluid Flushing Requirements - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > FYI - Service Bulletin 26-004-12 - 2011-2012 Fluid Flushing Requirements

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 06-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
JeepCares

FYI - Service Bulletin 26-004-12 - 2011-2012 Fluid Flushing Requirements

Ignore if not interested.

BULLETIN NUMBER: 26-004-12
DATE: June 06, 2012
SUBJECT:
Fluid Flushing Requirements
MODELS:
2011 - 2012 (JK) Wrangler
2011 - 2012 (KK) Liberty
2011 - 2012 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2011 - 2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
DISCUSSION:
Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do NOT require regular flushing. These systems include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and refrigerant. The only exceptions to this requirement are published in the vehicle maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.
Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a malfunction has occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated beyond the normal operating range.
Chrysler Group does NOT recommend aftermarket chemicals to flush the engine, transmission, brake or steering systems. Chemicals contained in these products can damage the system elastomeric components, and contaminate the component fluid, leading to loss of system/component durability and service life. When necessary, only the original approved system fluid should be used to flush these components using teamPSEŽ approved equipment.
If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of sediment, clean and flush with Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent. Follow with a thorough rinsing to remove all deposits and chemicals. Refill with a minimum of a 50% mixture of the specified coolant and distilled water.

Unread 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
SPL170db

So keep the original engine oil that the truck came with in there right? Should I at least replace the filter?
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Webb
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl170db View Post
so keep the original engine oil that the truck came with in there right? Should i at least replace the filter?
x2
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Obviously, change all fluids at the specified intervals.

"Flushing" is not required/recommended.

If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of sediment, clean and flush with Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent.
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
SPL170db

lol
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
RageOfFury
2011 WK 

Flushing is never a good idea anyway so kudos to Chrysler for coming out with this.

Of course fluid like engine oil and transfer case oil are to be CHANGED as per the owner's manual. Just no flushing.

Thanks Lee!
RageOfFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
JeepCares

It might actually save some people some money if they follow the manufacturer's recommendations and not just going along with something that someone is trying to sell them.
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

This is helpful, Thanks. It would also be nice if Jeep didn't allow it's dealers to try and pressure you into doing all these "flushes" and putting extra, expense additives in oil, transmission fluid, etc.
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineJeep11 View Post
This is helpful, Thanks. It would also be nice if Jeep didn't allow it's dealers to try and pressure you into doing all these "flushes" and putting extra, expense additives in oil, transmission fluid, etc.
That is something we are trying and have been trying to address. It makes the cost of ownership higher than it actually needs to be.

One reason reason I posted the information was to make people aware of what the MANUFACTURER recommends. Also, you might also have seen posts where I stress to people to follow the MANUFACTURER's maintenance recommendations in the Owner's Manual.
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Kev M
2012 WK 

I haven't checked the maintenance schedule closely yet, but I ASSume Brake Fluid CHANGES are still recommended. Yes?
Kev M is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I haven't checked the maintenance schedule closely yet, but I ASSume Brake Fluid CHANGES are still recommended. Yes?
I am confused a little bit by this question. The word "still" makes me think at one time brake fluid changes were recommended as part of regular maintenance. To be honest, I don't remember this. Maybe some of the more experienced members of the forum might chime in.

Changing the brake fluid just to change it, is not part of the regular maintenance schedule for a 2012 WK. You might have to add fluid - or even replace it as part of a repair. I suppose if the fluid was contaminated you would change it, but I wouldn't consider that "regular" maintenance.
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
That is something we are trying and have been trying to address. It makes the cost of ownership higher than it actually needs to be.

One reason reason I posted the information was to make people aware of what the MANUFACTURER recommends. Also, you might also have seen posts where I stress to people to follow the MANUFACTURER's maintenance recommendations in the Owner's Manual.

It's great that Jeep is trying to address that with the dealers. It's difficult for consumers when you try to follow the manufacturer maintenance recommendations, but the service advisors lie to you and make you feel as though you're doing something wrong, voiding your warranty, etc. for not doing the "extra" stuff they recommend. Especially people who aren't savvy. Thank you for addressing this issue, it's great to hear. And thanks for these kinds of posts as they're helpful.
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
It might actually save some people some money if they follow the manufacturer's recommendations and not just going along with something that someone is trying to sell them.
When will we be able to get an actual factory service manual with real information, instead of the lame CYA document that's in the glove box?
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares

I am confused a little bit by this question. The word "still" makes me think at one time brake fluid changes were recommended as part of regular maintenance. To be honest, I don't remember this. Maybe some of the more experienced members of the forum might chime in.

Changing the brake fluid just to change it, is not part of the regular maintenance schedule for a 2012 WK. You might have to add fluid - or even replace it as part of a repair. I suppose if the fluid was contaminated you would change it, but I wouldn't consider that "regular" maintenance.
Brake fluid can break down from heat or from moisture introduction.
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
JeepCares

Obtaining Service Manuals / Owner's Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
When will we be able to get an actual factory service manual with real information, instead of the lame CYA document that's in the glove box?
Service manual information can be obtained at http://techauthority.com.

The original owner of all Jeeps receive an Owner's Information Kit in their 2010 and up model year vehicle at time of delivery.
The kit contains the a printed User Guide and a DVD containing electronic copies (PDFs) of the Owner's Manual, Navigation Radio or Multi-Media Radio Manuals, Warranty Information book, Tire Warranty, and 24-Hour Towing Assistance information.

If the FIRST registered retail owner or retail lessee of a 2010 and up model year requests a PRINTED copy of the Owner's Manual, Navigation Radio, Multi-Media Radio Manual, and the Warranty Information book, one complimentary copy will be shipped direct to the customer in 2-3 weeks.

To contact Jeep to obtain a printed manual, call 877-IAMJEEP (877-426-5337).

You can download a free owner's manual (model year 2004 and up) at http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.