The Future of WK2's. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > The Future of WK2's.

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
huntandfish
2004 WJ 

The Future of WK2's.

I just thought i'd tell you guys that that new GC is fantastic. Bold and new in form and function...... Its so awesome that i cant wait for 10 years to go by so that they will be cheap enough for me to rip that suspension out of one and slap locked Dana 44's under it.

A great place for outdoorsmen in the NW. www.hunting-washington.com Member Screen name- addicted
huntandfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Marcus86GLHS

i cant wait til Jeep hires a design team that doesnt use a cookie cutter as their main tooling.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #3
huntandfish
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
i cant wait til Jeep hires a design team that doesnt use a cookie cutter as their main tooling.
but it's the jeep look
A great place for outdoorsmen in the NW. www.hunting-washington.com Member Screen name- addicted
huntandfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Highway 4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I thought the new GC was the most non off road 4x4 I had ever seen till today I looked at the new Ford Explorer. If the GC and the Explorer are the new off road 4x4's there is no need to close the 4x4 trails as they will not be going on them.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
newjeeper11
2011 WK 

Uhh...last time I checked the new GC is a luxury SUV with excellent off-road capability (and always has been)... Not really sure why you're hating on it. A Ford Exploder has never really been a competent off-roader so again, I'm confused by your statements. If you want a real off-road machine don't you buy a Wrangler, Land Rover, Humvee, 4Runner, etc? Let's be real honest here, 80% of new GC owners will never do any hardcore off-roading. Why would Jeep make it some monster that would only appeal to the most hardcore of off-road enthusiasts? They probably think they've got that niche market covered with the Wrangler Rubicon, right?
newjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Highway 4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I was hoping for more off road ability in the new GC. There are many luxury SUV types out there. The drive train in the GC is just fine, it's the sheet metal or plastic that gets in the way. Something between a wrangler and the new GC in ability would be nice. I don't want to do the Rubicon but I just feel the new GC won't do much more than a dirt road or a inch or two of snow. I am sure that DC knows where their market is. It's a great looking rig and I hope Jeep sells them all.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I was hoping for more off road ability in the new GC. There are many luxury SUV types out there. The drive train in the GC is just fine, it's the sheet metal or plastic that gets in the way. Something between a wrangler and the new GC in ability would be nice. I don't want to do the Rubicon but I just feel the new GC won't do much more than a dirt road or a inch or two of snow. I am sure that DC knows where their market is. It's a great looking rig and I hope Jeep sells them all.
A 2" lift will take care of all of that.
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
forkroot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
You're basically explaining why I had to go to the Overland - in order to be able to get road clearance comparable to my current 98 Limited. I looked into getting the Quadra-Lift for the other models (e.g. a Limited) but despite the fact that some Jeep literature says you can get Quadra-Lift as an option on Laredo or Limited - you can't.

It's kinda weird that the one feature I consider essential for JGC off-roading (besides the obvious ORG II package) is a feature only available on the highest trim level package - essentially the "luxury" version.
forkroot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
CTO1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkroot View Post
You're basically explaining why I had to go to the Overland - in order to be able to get road clearance comparable to my current 98 Limited. I looked into getting the Quadra-Lift for the other models (e.g. a Limited) but despite the fact that some Jeep literature says you can get Quadra-Lift as an option on Laredo or Limited - you can't.

It's kinda weird that the one feature I consider essential for JGC off-roading (besides the obvious ORG II package) is a feature only available on the highest trim level package - essentially the "luxury" version.
You could get QL on non-Overlands before demand started going up. I was able to get a Limited with QL back in November. And while the QL is a handy feature, I wouldn't consider it essential just yet. If you have a WK2 with QL then you have probably experienced the rough ride at the tallest setting. The latest episode of Top Gear UK even demonstrated this with a Range Rover by driving around in a pasture with while a guy tried to get a tatoo in the backseat. I don't mind it for occasional use, but if I was serious about off-roading I would want to put extended springs and regular shocks in order to lift it up. I imagine it would not be inexpensive to remove a QL system and put in a standard lifted suspension, so I don't plan on doing that, but for anyone else who may they should keep that in mind.
CTO1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Richard338
2013 WK 

I would love to see a Commander type rig using the WK2 chassis with 5-7" more wb, 15-18" longer body with 6" more rear legroom, and the rest for cargo space. The third row would be optional with a taller more square cargo area. Also maybe a more H2 style roof rack system. Any more ideas out there?
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
ecupip

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkroot View Post
in order to be able to get road clearance comparable to my current 98 Limited.
road clearance? Unless you are driving around town in off road modes how do you get more clearance than the standard suspension?
ecupip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard338 View Post
I would love to see a Commander type rig using the WK2 chassis with 5-7" more wb, 15-18" longer body with 6" more rear legroom, and the rest for cargo space. The third row would be optional with a taller more square cargo area. Also maybe a more H2 style roof rack system. Any more ideas out there?
yes, it will be called the Grand Wagoneer.
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Richard338
2013 WK 

I don't care what they call it, I just want one....
Unread 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Richard338
2013 WK 

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard338 View Post
Also some direct injection heads and a turbo for the new V6, sort of like what Ford did with the eco-boost engine.
Unread 01-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
rsq41
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjeeper11 View Post
Uhh...last time I checked the new GC is a luxury SUV with excellent off-road capability...
Pretty much sums it up... Initially Ford had me thinking the new Exploder was going to try to keep up with with the WK2... But no 4-lo and a loss of 2000 lbs in the tow rating means I guess not...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/au...-explorer.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.