Fully disabling ESP solved - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Fully disabling ESP solved

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
qzsharif
2011 WK 

Fully disabling ESP solved

Simply remove the J6 40 amp fuse (ABS pump/ Stability control system) and the effect is superb.
The dashboard will constantly show the traction symbol (with no off writing) and during testing it proved to be fully disabled. Engine power was not cut and traction was never activated.

The downside to fully disabling esp is when the vehicle is (hanging) or stuck in sand only one tire in each axle spins (Quadra track ||) constantly whereas with the fuse plugged in torque is transferred to the stuck tires but not constantly (alternates between the tire with less traction and the tire with more traction) which increases the chance of freeing the vehicle.

After testing the vehicle I plugged back the fuse and used for a week now and no problems where discovered. So feel safe removing the fuse and unleash the full power of your vehicle.

qzsharif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Dabitz

Wonder how wise would this be on a v6 w/QT1 ....
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
henrysko
2011 WK 

Maybe I just don't understand. Why do this?
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrysko View Post
Maybe I just don't understand. Why do this?
It will allow for a lot more wheel spin which is helpful when powering through deep sand or cleaning mud out of your tires if they become clogged.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
77rednecktruck

I take it this also disables the anti lock brakes?

I want the traction control disabled but would like to keep the abs.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is this ESC that you're disabling?
Do you mean you can't disable it like (I thought) you could disable it, with the switch on the instrument panel? Like (I thought) you could disable it on the 2011/2012 Jeep Wranglers????
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
I take it this also disables the anti lock brakes?

I want the traction control disabled but would like to keep the abs.
Not possible,also not legal to disable any of it.Get into accident that someone is killed and they dig into your Jeep and find the ABS disabled your SOL and going to jail.Then the insurance company get's to have fun with you for fraud.
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Not possible,also not legal to disable any of it.Get into accident that someone is killed and they dig into your Jeep and find the ABS disabled your SOL and going to jail.Then the insurance company get's to have fun with you for fraud.
While I will be the first to admit that I'm not a lawyer, and may very well be wrong, I would dispute this assertion. While ABS is a federal mandate for auto manufacturers, I do not know of, nor do I believe, there is any law that would result in criminal charges for an individual disabling ABS. It would increase the individual's risk to lawsuit, and the insurance company denying claims. And perhaps some lawyer COULD twist it into criminal negligence. He/she would undoubtedly try.
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
txwest
2012 WK 

Anybody out there tried this in a v8 with QL. I play on the beach a lot in my '99 and was going to be very disappointed if I couldn't play in the sand due to Trac control.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
rudeney
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspyder View Post
Is this ESC that you're disabling?
Do you mean you can't disable it like (I thought) you could disable it, with the switch on the instrument panel? Like (I thought) you could disable it on the 2011/2012 Jeep Wranglers????
That only disables the throttle control component of ESC. The other component that remains enabled is the braking.
rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

AH! OK, thanks.
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
While I will be the first to admit that I'm not a lawyer, and may very well be wrong, I would dispute this assertion. While ABS is a federal mandate for auto manufacturers, I do not know of, nor do I believe, there is any law that would result in criminal charges for an individual disabling ABS. It would increase the individual's risk to lawsuit, and the insurance company denying claims. And perhaps some lawyer COULD twist it into criminal negligence. He/she would undoubtedly try.
ABS is not required but ESP is federally mandated for all '12+ models and must remain active in any older model year that came with it.Just so happens that ABS is part of ESP function.Your right the insurance will deny coverage if found out and take you to court for fraud since your getting that nice ABS/ESP safety discount.

I've seen it done to poeple who disabled there airbags when I worked at the dealership,they spent a few years in jail and some hefty fines and lawsuit bills for the rest of there lives.

Now this does not mean I like those systems,I think they are worthless and only mandated since they can not actually force poeple to actually learn how to drive in the 1st place.
Unread 11-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #13
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ABS is not required but ESP is federally mandated for all '12+ models and must remain active in any older model year that came with it.Just so happens that ABS is part of ESP function.Your right the insurance will deny coverage if found out and take you to court for fraud since your getting that nice ABS/ESP safety discount.

I've seen it done to poeple who disabled there airbags when I worked at the dealership,they spent a few years in jail and some hefty fines and lawsuit bills for the rest of there lives.

Now this does not mean I like those systems,I think they are worthless and only mandated since they can not actually force poeple to actually learn how to drive in the 1st place.
I'm still not believing that any customer goes to jail for breaking a law that says the customer has to keep their ABS or airbags active. Fraud, maybe. In the end it is still jail time, though, I guess.
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I'm still not believing that any customer goes to jail for breaking a law that says the customer has to keep their ABS or airbags active. Fraud, maybe. In the end it is still jail time, though, I guess.
They do not go to jail for the disabling of the ABS/airbags they go to jail after being convicted of vehiclular manslaugther or similar due to a death resulting in a accident in which one of those safety items would/could have prevented the death.
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They do not go to jail for the disabling of the ABS/airbags they go to jail after being convicted of vehiclular manslaugther or similar due to a death resulting in a accident in which one of those safety items would/could have prevented the death.
Then you and I are in violent agreement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.