Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Frustrating ownership experience: 1 year with a 2015 Diesel Limited

880 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  high-z 
#1 ·
For background, I am not new to Jeeps. I've owned many - as many CJs as at-the-time-current models of Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, and I've always had positive ownership experiences. I'm at approximately 1.5 years into ownership of a 2015 GC Limited Diesel, and it's by far been the most frustrating experience of any vehicle I've owned - ever.

My context for making this statement:
For a vehicle that I purchased new, I should not expect that it averages ONE DAY PER MONTH in the shop. That's right - it spends more time in the shop, predominantly with complaints about bull**** issues, than any other vehicle I've ever owned. It's having more issues than my kids' 2001 Saturn SC2 with 150,000 miles on it. I don't even bother talking with my dealership about my issues - not because I don't like them, but because I don't believe they are equipped to solve the problems I am facing. They just keep telling me that they can't do anything about it if they cannot reproduce the issues.
  • I am already on my second transmission. There is an entire other thread on this matter elsewhere on this forum.
  • My second transmission, mechanically speaking, is fine. However, the computer controlling it is not. It makes bad decisions frequently, often times leaving me driving down the highway in 6th gear (of 8) doing high RPMs on my diesel engine until I take action to "break" it's behavior.
  • My always updated UCONNECT system doesn't work well on bluetooth with my always updated iPhone 7. It likes to randomly lose my bluetooth setting. It also randomly decides to play my music over BT connection at ~2x speed, turning all songs into Alvin and the Chipmunks '80s remakes. This issue has been since one month into ownership, and the best response I get is to update all of my software.
  • My diesel regen - which already is a lovely inconvenience when it notifies me to keep driving the moment I am arriving home - has failed to initiate at times when it would be opportune to do so, like when I am on a trip with 600 miles to go, leaving me with the check engine light on.
  • My windows randomly won't roll down. Or, at times, they decide they won't roll up. It may be one window, it may be all of them. Take your pick. This issue has been going since June of 2016.
  • In addition to all of the above, I've been plagued with random fit-and-finish issues like the windshield cowl coming apart. Many of these things [aside from replacing the cowl] I've just fixed myself, because I don't want to be without my car yet again.

We purchased my wife's 2015 Mini Cooper S two months before I purchased this vehicle. She is known in our family to be abusive on cars [and gets teased relentlessly for it]. However, her car has more miles on it today, and has spent literally ZERO time in the shop except for planned maintenance. As a matter of fact, when it goes in for service, they do very nice things above-and-beyond the service - like when they noticed a bit of discoloration on a piece of plastic, they replaced it as a courtesy without even requiring the car stay longer. She gets a loaner vehicle that is another Mini of the same level or higher.

Me? I get a cheap Subaru base model with cloth seats and a low horsepower econobox engine, or a Minivan. I don't get anything CLOSE to the significant investment I put in my vehicle.

The thing is, I LOVE this vehicle. I sought out this specific model and engine, and I keep it spotless. I rely on my car for my work - I travel for a living and use this vehicle for work. The diesel engine is efficient, has gobs of torque, and the interior is comfortable for all the time I spend in it. I was planning on doing some light mods to personalize it - but now my only thought is either (a) buy the extended warranty as far out as I can, or (b) sell the car and get something else. I just don't feel like I should have to deal with all of these low-quality issues for a brand new car with this amount of spend.

I've opened a case with FCA. The people on the phone are very nice, however, my case [to them] likely doesn't translate into anything they're going to see as a priority. They'll likely review what is in my case notes and won't see much there. The context is lost between the lines because, candidly, it doesn't make it into my service records.

Ugh. I can't believe my ownership experience has been reduced to risk management. Anybody have ideas on how to reduce the inconsistencies with all the electronics acting erratically?

See less See more
#2 ·
We also enjoyed our Mini Cooper S service experiences at the Charleston, SC. BMW dealership. Gourmet coffee and they even let us sit in the same big leather chairs as the BMW customers. They drew the line, however, on the free sushi! :) Hope you get your issues resolved.

#3 ·
Hi-Z,

Sorry you are having problems. I also have a 2015 ecodiesel and have had no problems except for an issue with the cross path/blind spot detector when it was new. I leased mine and I'm considering buying it out at the end of the lease and keeping it. I have 22,000 miles on it now. Hopefully everything gets resolved and you are able to enjoy it. Yes, the torque combined with the mileage is great, but not so much when you are stuck in a loaner car.

#4 ·
So you don't want to go to a dealer but you want FCA to do something for you. You can't have it both ways.

What exactly is it you're wanting FCA to do? If you're even half considering lemon law you need to document everything with a dealer. Quit fixing things yourself as that can be used against you should you go the LL route.

#5 ·
So you don't want to go to a dealer but you want FCA to do something for you. You can't have it both ways.

What exactly is it you're wanting FCA to do? If you're even half considering lemon law you need to document everything with a dealer. Quit fixing things yourself as that can be used against you should you go the LL route.
tarfin,

1) My Jeep has spent an average of one day a month at the dealer since it was new, and the ongoing window problems have existed for over a year.
2) I've not mentioned lemon laws, just frustration of ownership.
3) There has been ZERO mention of me fixing things myself.

I want to know if anybody else is having these sorts of issues, first and foremost. In engineering, a higher quantity of reproduced cases would lead to more significant ability to provide repairs. If I am alone, it gives me context that I am dealing with an isolated edge case with more difficulty down the road - after all, these problems can't be reliably reproduced, and as such they aren't getting fixed. I contacted FCA because the dealership can't fix what they can't see - it just makes a sucky ownership experience with no easy avenue for resolution.

So, what is the point to your response [ other than stating objectives that don't exist ] ?

#6 ·
In addition to all of the above, I've been plagued with random fit-and-finish issues like the windshield cowl coming apart. Many of these things [aside from replacing the cowl] I've just fixed myself, because I don't want to be without my car yet again.
In support of Tarfin, You did say you were fixing some things yourself.

It sucks and I know you are frustrated. I went thru something similar with my JK and windshields cracking due to a bent frame from the factory.

They did eventually get it fixed but it did take close to a year. However, it's hard to find something from another manufacturer with the capabilities and the appointments of the WK2 in the same package and I went and gave them another chance when I bought my new WK2. So far, my Trailhawk has not disappointed me.

#7 ·
@High-Z. Im in the same boat as you brother man. I have the jeep like yours. I bought mine a few months ago. It was deeply discounted because it was left over. Mine has been in the shop a few times now. Half of the stuff doesnt get fixed like my a/c smelling like coolant. Often I drive with the window down. Its gotten to the point where the service guy laughed at me when I told him the problem is still there. My wife hates my jeep and only drove it once. I love diesel engine tho but everything else sucks. I really want to get rid of mine but I owe too much money on it. I should of listened to a few of my cousins and just bought a mercedes gle diesel.

#9 ·
@Bekim - where do you live in NYC? I live approximately half my life in New York right now, that's where my work is [30th and 6th Av]. That being said, coolant smell in our A/C? That's gotta be frustrating. I can't advocate other cars as being much better, other than those I've had experience with. My brother had the Mercedes and it didn't last a year before he replaced it. I've been a life long Jeep fan because, even though they've never been perfect [ anybody who knows AMC-era Jeeps knows this well ] they've always ended up being some of the most fun and cost-effective vehicles I've owned. I recognize that sounds strange, cost-effective; but I keep detailed records of everything I spend on every car I've owned - and for SUV/Truck type vehicles I've had great experiences. If your dealer cannot solve the coolant smell that you have, perhaps try another dealer for service? My dealership is fantastic so long as I can present something that needs repair - I'd highly recommend them. However, I live outside DC in Northern VA with my family for that other half of my life.

#8 ·
A positive update

Update: FCA has decided to get involved. My conversation with them yesterday was a very positive response and gives me a lot of hope. My posit with them was simple... If my Jeep is having [ mostly ] random electronics issues that can't be reliably reproduced, it is guaranteed to be a scenario that has negative outcomes for all parties:
  • Jeep [ FCA ] wouldn't want an experience like this for their customer - yet, the way the system is designed they have no mechanism to see things other than major, widespread technical cases.
  • My dealership is literally hamstrung on the issue - they're quite nice and for the most part can fix anything I can reproduce. However, when these symptoms occur many more than one time, yet many less than always, the likelihood of them being able to catch and diagnose are a challenge.
  • I, as the consumer, am stuck in a situation which I know well from my engineering background: without being able to produce a reliable test case, odds are that this is not something that will be easily remedied.

It's funny, the rep from FCA discussed many possible outcomes with me. My commentary back to her was that I WANTED to have the vehicle I own - I really enjoy it. I wouldn't pick another if only these strange ghosts could get out of my electronics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.