Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front license plate?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 ·
I apologize if I messed up. I am brand new to the website.

I was just wondering what everyone has been doing about their not being a front license plate bracket on the 2011 Grand Cherokees. I have the 2011 Laredo and I was told that none of the new jeeps (Limited nor Overland) had front brackets.

Are most people just screwing the license plate in? If so what screws? Or are people buying aftermarket brackets? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Brock

#2 ·
Well the way its done is yes you screw into the bumper. There should be two very small indentations in the bumper and thats where you screw into. I personally do not run a front plate and when I order a new Overland will be specifically telling them DO NOT put holes in my bumper or I will not take delivery of this vehicle. I live in IL which requires front plates but they dont enforce it. I have never once had a front plate installed on any of my cars in the 14 years I have been driving. Never a single ticket. Plus it just looks better without it.

James

#5 ·
American car companies started deleting the front license plate holder on cars delivered to states that do not have a front plate requirement to save money. From what others have said and looking at some dealer pictures it looks like they went a step further and eliminated the bracket all together and you just drill 2 holes in the bumper there they cast indentations. It used to be that these holes were where the bracket mounted, not the plate itself.

#7 ·
alot of times you can buy the mounting bracket from the dealer. Usually not too much and it's a direct fit so it looks good vs. the universal fits that are ususally cheaper but don't look as nice. However there are some universal brackets that fit fine, just have to decide for yourself.

#8 ·
Can't say I have ever heard someone say they like the way front plates look on cars lol. But as stated if you want a plate on your Jeep you have to put holes in your bumper. Don't use a license plate frame they just make plates look tackier than they already do.

James

#9 ·
I'm not saying I wanted to put one on, but I lived in UT where they mandated a front plate. Drove the wifes car for the first time and got a ticket b/c no front plate so I bought the dealer bracket for 15/20 bucks and put it on. It looked factory/better than a universal bracket.

#17 ·
You guys didn't notice that mjw930's post was from the 2010 time frame ? :) Nice to have all the part numbers, however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.