To front license or not to front license, that is the question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > To front license or not to front license, that is the question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
scottfehr
2012 WK 

To front license or not to front license, that is the question

I hate front license plates. Designers shape beautiful lines for vehicles only to have an ugly-blocky-rectangle-thing bolted to the front like a parasite riding a shark.

Even though it's law in WA, I tend to role the dice and not put my front plate on. Have never had it on my BMW and yet to get a ticket.

Just got the "your plates are in" notice from my dealer and while I obviously will put the rear on, I'm debating on the front.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

scottfehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Justal13
2012 WK 

Check your state and local laws. In Wisconsin, running without the front plate can cost you a $130 ticket. In Illinois, it is a ticket and points against your drivers license that can effect your insurance rates.

Any cover over the plate - glass, plastic or spray (to trick traffic cameras) is a moving violation in some midwest states.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
JAH7
2012 WK 

No Way!! I haven't had front plates on any car I've ever owned. I was once told by an officer 10 years ago that I need to have one on, but no ticket or anything. With most new cars these days, they just drill the damn thing right into the painted bumper, just makes no sense. When I bought my Jeep, while signing the papers, I stoped and yelled out 'no front plates', the salesman ran out of the building and back to where they were preppring it. He caught them just before they put it on...phew!!

Our 335 didn't have such luck. All the beautiful lines in the hood and bumper all com together in an ugly *** license plate frame that can't be removed without leaving two monster holes in the bumper.

Don't do it!!
JAH7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You have to run them in NY

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Raptor

I have refused delivery of brand new vehicles because of holes drilled into my front bumper when I specifically said DO NOT mount a front plate!
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
You have to run them in NY
You also cannot exceed the posted speed limit.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I ran my SLK 20 years without front plates and only had one second look. Many officers are car nuts and understand (like loud pipes). You see this often on "elite" or "classic" cars where a hole in bumper degrades resale value (or the front plate degrades the style significantly), but usually not a Jeeps. Not putting a front plate on a Jeep because of a style thing is probably not going to go over as well.

The annual inspection here requires a front plate so I zip tied one on temporarily for inspection. Otherwise I kept the plate in the trunk, so it would not be a unreported missing plate issue, just one that fell off and I haven't got around to fix it yet. If they are nasty you could get a defective equipment ticket, which involves zip tying it back on and paying an inspection fee. Although if the officer wants to pin something on you, there's an opportunity.

A well maintained vehicle that is not driving reckless probably will not draw that much attention…. but you are taking a chance.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

My Lexus was bought in NM where they don't require front plates and when I moved to CO there is a law to have front plates, but in the 4 years I've lived in Denver...no cop has ever told me to get a front plate. I like the look without the front plates. Our GC came with the front plate bracket already installed, and I don't think it looks terrible so I just went with it.
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Jdsmitty10

I'm in pa. No law for one. Love it. Would t let my dealer do a trade for what I wanted cause it was in MD and would have already had the bracket on. No way I want holes in my bumper. now if it's the law I probably would
Jdsmitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
scottfehr
2012 WK 

I've only had one issue over the past 10 years with leaving the plate. My Lexus was parked at the Seatac airport and I came back after a couple days business trip to find a ticket on my window. In the parking structure. Really Mr.PoPo? You're going to ding me for a front plate while I'm parked at the airport?

Oh well, I agree with others that aesthetically it's less an issue with a Jeep, or less justifiable anyway. I may end up just putting it on.
scottfehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Here in Mass they'll pull you over for it just for fun. If you use fastlane/ezpass you may get a ticket in the mail, when the cameras at the tollbooths kick you out for not having a front plate they can OCR.

1984 etc.
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
genciu
2012 WK 

Here in NH the dealer will not inspect the new vehicle without the plate on the front..... so the holes kinda' become mandatory. After that, you can take them off and hope you are not stopped....then you need to reattach them a year later for reinspection and repeat the process.
genciu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Ef4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I despise front plates. I used zip ties to hold it on on my jeeps grill when I lived in jersey.

But on a car with a plastic painted bumper i would never own it with holes in the bumper.
Ef4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genciu View Post
Here in NH the dealer will not inspect the new vehicle without the plate on the front..... so the holes kinda' become mandatory. After that, you can take them off and hope you are not stopped....then you need to reattach them a year later for reinspection and repeat the process.
The dealer inspection (as well as mounting the front plate mount) is for your convenience and not mandatory at delivery. If you wanted to go through the trouble, you can always take delivery with temp plates, and put them on yourself. Then at your convenience when you get your plates transferred or new plates, zip tie the plate and have the vehicle inspected.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
genciu
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The dealer inspection (as well as mounting the front plate mount) is for your convenience and not mandatory at delivery. If you wanted to go through the trouble, you can always take delivery with temp plates, and put them on yourself. Then at your convenience when you get your plates transferred or new plates, zip tie the plate and have the vehicle inspected.

Yes, that is an option not to get the sticker at the dealer, but not a solution for getting stopped for "failure to display."

My wife's car is due for registration in December... we registered it on time, but I was waiting for a warm day to wash the salt off the plates to attach the stickers. So, of course one day late, on New Year's Day!! we were stopped because the tiny stickers (with a new color) weren't attached to the license plates. No fine, but I had to attach the stickers on the spot.

I, too, love the look of no plate on the front, but around here it isn't worth the hassle.
genciu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.