Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Folding Down the Back Seats

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 ·
The ONLY thing I consider lacking in my 2017 Overland GC is the small cargo volume - it was the smallest of all the vehicles we looked at. It seems that underneath the cargo area outside of the vehicle where some cars have the spare tire mounted is a lot of wasted space that could have been used to increase the volume. Exacerbating the problem is that the rear seats do not fold down flat. This makes it difficult to lay big things there. To be sure, many other vehicles we looked at were worse in terms of the angle left when lowering the seats. Is anybody familiar with the seat mounts such that there might be easy way to, say, remove the seat cushion and thus allow the seat back to lay flatter? Or any other solution? We virtually always have the seats down, so the ease of removing something to make them lay flatter is not an issue.

#3 ·
Mine Overland's rear seat lay flat nicely. Did you fold over the head rests? You can remove the rear seats entirely with a few bolts, but that leaves a cavity.

The empty space under the spare in the rear is filled in diesel models I believe.

#7 ·

Attachments

#5 ·
My 17 Trailhawks seats fold flat, just fold the headrests.

One of the reasons I bought the TH was the amount of available cargo space for the price. My wife has a crapload of stuff she takes to shows and a JK didn't do it and if I was going to spend the kind of money a JKU was with the bells and whistles, the WK2 was a no brainer.

#9 ·
Well, I guess the real reason for it is that we carry a cat and all her baggage on long trips - litter and carrier. She's too much of a Princess to have her bed sloped!! Likewise, when grocery shopping, the cooler we carry is just nicer when level. Otherwise, just the unlevelness of it all offends my sensibilities!

#15 ·
You could also try using a ratchet strap wrapped around the seat to squeeze the cushions together. If you put enough weight on them they may lie flatter. Your seat cushions must be way thicker than mine.

They are not advertised as folding flat, few SUVs actually do. The mega cab was flat but also had a higher step over. The dodge minivan was flat but lacked ground clearance. I guess one has to trade off a flat floor vs step over vs thin uncomfortable cushions :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.