First time buyer, need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > First time buyer, need help!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Need2Drive

First time buyer, need help!

So I have been browsing this forum for a while now, and I thought it would benefit me to ask you guys a few questions.
I am a first time buyer, ever. Never purchased a car in my life, know very little about everything that goes down, and how to get a good deal. I am very nervous because I just hear over and over again of how these dealers rip customers off all the time.
I found a certified used 2011 JGC Laredo that I really like on autotrader at a dealer very close to me. From what I have been researching, it has everything that I really want, such as the exterior color, remote start, heated seats etc...
(And just so people know where I am coming from, I have only driven a 2002 2 door Chevy cavalier, so this is a BIG difference but it's what I want and the little things like power windows and heated seats can make or break a deal with me!)
It has about 13,000 miles on it, and the online price is $32,950. My question is...what is the possiblity of getting this price down to $29,000-$30,000? I am already overwhelmed with people telling me how to get the price down, but is asking $3000 off expecting too much?

I would really appreciate just some assistance. I wasn't sure if I am allowed to post the link or not to the online ad....

Need2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
fleuger99
2011 WK 

There are no rules, if the vehicle in question has been sitting on the lot long enough and they want to move it the sky is the limit as to how much you can get off. It is harder to determine discounts etc. on used vehicles because you don't know what they paid for the vehicle.

I'd say arm yourself with as much info as possible. Know what this vehicle cost new, look for similar vehicles (mileage features etc.) for sale at other places and see where the price of this one is versus the others. Also, make sure this vehicle is not a lemon law vehicle because you don't want someone elses problems or if you don't mind it you could negotiate a serious discount.

Also above all else, don't believe the BS that a sales person tries to deliver like this is a rare vehicle, its a steal, they have several other parties interested in this vehicle. Remember if at anytime you don't like where the discussion/deal is headed get up and walk out. They are NEVER in control. It is your cash and you can drive the deal. Good luck
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
JeremiahB

Man, just reading your post, I am already worried for you. Do you have anybody in your friends/family that is a car buying vet? Best to bring somebody along with experience, especially when buying a used car. Because of the internet, the ability for dealerships to make money has fallen solely on used cars and service departments, making the two of them very dangerous.
First, do all of your research so you know exactly what you are getting. Second, used Edmunds, KBB, Cars.com, and others to compare prices of the vehicle. Take the low average of them, use a payment calcualtor to make sure you can afford it, and then (the hard part) stick to your guns. The most important part is to be prepared to walk out because there will always be another vehicle.
Hope that helps.
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

The best piece of advice I can give...

Don't have your heart set on the vehicle. When you have it in your head that you just have to have that vehicle, you will get screwed and screwed hard.

IMO, certified doesn't mean much, other than they may give you extra warranty. Big whoop there. I can crap in a box, slap a guarantee on it and all you're going to have is a guaranteed box of crap.

DO NOT trust the carfax report. That service is an absolute joke. The information they get is derived either dealers or when individuals actually fill out and mail in those accident reports. I've trusted it on two previous used vehicle purchases only to find out a year or two down the road that the vehicle had had a lot of work done. Another example I'll cite is from the Rubicon I recently traded in two months ago. If you click HERE and scroll through the report you won't find anything glaringly out of place. What I will tell you is that vehicle has had substantial work performed. I was rear ended once, that wasn't too bad, no body work needed. The worst was the $3500 body damage resulting in a new hardtop, quarter panel and rear corner. But where do you see anything alluding to that in that report.

Ultimately, you control the outcome. DO NOT be afraid to walk away from the deal. This may be what you want now, but if the deal isn't right, you'll regret it after the fact. NEVER, NEVER EVER focus on payment as they will do everything they can do muddy the waters. I almost fell for that the first time I put a deposit on GC. In the coming days, I started reconstructing the deal and realized I was getting screwed and canceled the order.

If you have questions about what you think you can afford, use this auto loan calculator from Vertex. -->Vertex Loan Calculator
Unread 06-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
JoeSchmoe007

Is this Laredo or Laredo X? If Laredo - doesn't price seem to be too high? They all can be had for about invoice price brand new.

I also would be suspicious about this vehicle - it's probably a year or less old and someone got rid of it already.

In any case I agree 100% with JeremiahB - know what this car is worth and stick to your guns. It's best to bring someone else with you. Or handle all negotiations over the phone/fax - this is what I did.
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Need2Drive

Thanks everyone for the help. It is a big problem that I never bought a vehicle and no one close to me has too much experience. I did get offered some help from a friend of a friend so I'm hoping they stick to their word.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...pe=b&make=JEEP

This is the the one that I am very interested in that has been listed for about I'd say almost a month now, it is just a Laredo, not Laredo X. I actually can't find barely any Laredo Xs nearby.

If the carfax isn't reliable, is there anything that is? I was told that is really the only place you can find out a car history report...

How does handling negotiations over email/phone work out? I would definitely be more comfortable doing that and being more straight forward with someone than face to face, as bad as that sounds.

I looked into Edmunds and everything to see how much people were paying but I feel like it won't benefit me because people currently are buying mostly brand new 2011, where as I'm going for a used 2011, so there isn't much variation in how much people are paying for the model, if that makes sense...

Thank you all so much again, it will all help me in the end.
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
oldmac1
2014 WK 

My advice to you is don't get your heart broken by wanting this Jeep so badly. Your main strength is your ability to walk away from the deal and don't give in. Whatever you decide you want to pay, offer it and then walk away. If your close to the deal they will probably call you back, and if they don't they sell Jeeps at other dealers also. You will get plucked clean when your heart is so set on a particular car. The more you pay the more they make and they are very good at getting extra dollars. Stick to your goals. Good luck to you
15 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Again, don't panic, don't stress out. It's only a vehicle, a mode of transportation, there are plenty of them out there. If you're not able make a deal that's financially feasible, it's just not meant to be.

Do your home work. Build this same vehicle on Jeeps web site to see what they're going for new for a base comparison of new vs used. Know the programs you have available. Would you be better served buying new vs used. Everything I'm hearing is that its a sellers market and they're holding many of right cards. If you're good, you could negotiate to invoice or below, but that may be tough. Another option which takes all the stress and headache out of the negotiating on a "new" vehicle is signing up for Treadlightly which qualifies you for the Chrysler Affiliate program which in turn gets you most anything in the Chrysler line up for 1% below invoice without stress and hassle of negotiating.

Also, mega important, "Get yourself pre-approved on credit". If you belong to a credit union, your bank or we've had good luck getting great rates through Capital One Auto Finance.

If you're concerned over whether the vehicle has been in an accident before, ask to take it to a mechanic or a body shop for a thorough inspection. That might cost you a few bucks, but if it checks out, well you now have peace of mind, if it doesn't you will have peace of mind in knowing you're not stuck with a vehicle that was in a bad wreck. I know that feeling all to well, it's like getting midget punched in the nut sack.
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
JayB

It is a Laredo X.

There's no way I would buy that for anything over $29k. To be honest I would have a hard time buying that at all.

Also, from the pictures it appears to only have the base 4x4 system... which is to say AWD system. No select terrain. No 4x4 low.

Based on that I wouldn't buy this for over $28k or even $27k.

If your budget can handle around $32k and you don't need a two speed transfer case and all you want is a Laredo X with the heated seats and power stuff... go buy a new one.

For comparison people are buying Laredo X's with more options (Off-Road Group II, Hemi, sunroof, etc.) for mid to low $30k. New. With basically 0 miles.

I bought my Laredo X with ORII with Air suspension and V6 for $34,900. I know others have paid less.

Consider the miles and depreciation at least $3k or even $5k....

So with the base Laredo X you could probably buy new for around $30k. Depreciation on this used one should put your buy price around $27k or so. The dealer wants to make some money... so this just depends on your budget, but there is no way you should pay over $27-29k for this Jeep.

My $0.02
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
hammer1234
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
It is a Laredo X.

There's no way I would buy that for anything over $29k. To be honest I would have a hard time buying that at all.

Also, from the pictures it appears to only have the base 4x4 system... which is to say AWD system. No select terrain. No 4x4 low.

Based on that I wouldn't buy this for over $28k or even $27k.

If your budget can handle around $32k and you don't need a two speed transfer case and all you want is a Laredo X with the heated seats and power stuff... go buy a new one.

For comparison people are buying Laredo X's with more options (Off-Road Group II, Hemi, sunroof, etc.) for mid to low $30k. New. With basically 0 miles.

I bought my Laredo X with ORII with Air suspension and V6 for $34,900. I know others have paid less.

Consider the miles and depreciation at least $3k or even $5k....

So with the base Laredo X you could probably buy new for around $30k. Depreciation on this used one should put your buy price around $27k or so. The dealer wants to make some money... so this just depends on your budget, but there is no way you should pay over $27-29k for this Jeep.

My $0.02
How much below invoice are you talking about? When I was looking dealers were offering straight invoice and when I tried to haggle a bit (by e-mail) they basically ignored me. Bottom line was that they didn't have many of them on the lot, not in the colors we wanted at least.

Only way I was able to get even 2% below invoice was to work with a vehicle on the lot that had been there for a while. Still new but "exposed".

I'd just like to know how many people can get a Laredo X 4x4 for $30K. Doesn't seem to add up to me...
hammer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
JayB

Yes, you'd have to work with something on the lot... so you may be limited.
and $30k flat for Laredo X 4x4 would be tough to get. but $33k or so for base Laredo X V6 no other options could be possible.

the bottom base WK2 4x4 you could get for around 30k or slightly below. The X package adds $4k to the sticker. so about 3k or so more.

Just depends on your budget and what's available and how you can negotiate it...
Unread 06-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Need2Drive

JayB...I've been researching this car for about 4 months now. From what I can find, the Laredo X brand new bottom base isn't even selling for less than $35,000 if I'm lucky. Yes, I am finding base Laredos with the least amount of additional features in it for about $29,000, but that isn't what I was really looking for.

Again, I'm new at this and could be completely wrong, but looking at how much new Laredo Xs go for brand new (actually I'm looking now around my area, and I can't find any less than $36,000), I thought it wasn't a bad price considering the miles, and this is the only laredo x within 200 miles from me that is selling at this price, used.

What does everyone else think of the price?
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
JeremiahB

My Laredo X 4x2 with Hemi ($2000 upgrade) was $34,500. Only other upgrade was Nav.
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
JayB

I bought my Laredo X 4x4 V6 Off-Road II Quadra Trac II with Select Terrain and Quadra Lift for $34,900.

I think it was on the lot for a while though since the build date was August 2010 and I bought it in February 2011. So I think I had some good negotiation power.

Are you getting these prices from a dealer over email or something? IMO typically if you are actually on the lot you can do better because you can walk away from the deal. If the salesman really wants to make a sale he'll meet your price rather than let a sale walk away.
Unread 06-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #15
alex725
2009 XK Commander 

Going by the wholesale auctions I would say the dealer probably paid somewhere in the $27K-$28K range for that truck. Add in any reconditioning costs (which depending on how it was traded in could only be $150 for a detail), then consider that the dealer is there to make money, as is the salesman (no they arent there for entertainment purposes) I would say that maybe you can push for $31K.
alex725 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.