First oil change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > First oil change

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
MiguelT678
2012 WK 

First oil change

Hi everyone. my '12 GCO just hit 5,000 miles. The service manager told me to wait until I get an EVIC message to schedule the oil change. What's your opinion on this? I trust him, but wanted to ensure I should continue trusting him

MiguelT678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
HeliDriverEC30
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The oil change message on the EVIC can be changed. Check the service schedule that came with the jeep. Then read your manual on how to change your EVIC oil change interval. I'm pretty sure you are correct but I've got an 08' Diesel GC and it's every 10,000.
HeliDriverEC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
danteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelT678
Hi everyone. my '12 GCO just hit 5,000 miles. The service manager told me to wait until I get an EVIC message to schedule the oil change. What's your opinion on this? I trust him, but wanted to ensure I should continue trusting him
The manual says service at 8,500 miles (V6). I had my first oil changed at 5k.
danteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
LS1_DOC
2001 XJ Cherokee 

On the wk2 i do not believe the interval is changeable. I think you will be just fine waiting for the evic. Just make sure you dont go over the the 8,000 mile mark.
LS1_DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
nathantw
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1_DOC View Post
On the wk2 i do not believe the interval is changeable. I think you will be just fine waiting for the evic. Just make sure you dont go over the the 8,000 mile mark.
That brings up a good point. What happens if we change the oil ourselves. How do we reset the EVIC so it'll know we changed the oil? I don't remember seeing anything that dealt with that.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From the FAQ thread at the top of this forum...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...ation-1173618/

Similar info in your owners manual too.

Oil Changes

The WK2 has an oil change indicator system. This system displays a “Oil Change Required” or “Oil Change” message at appropriate intervals on the instrument cluster. The Oil Change Indicator system uses the Powertrain Control Module to process a variety of inputs and then decides on an oil change interval. The factors which point toward severe use include the following:

* Ambient temperature inputs which indicate extended periods of low temperature operation
* Average vehicle speeds which indicate stop-and-go driving
* Run time which indicates prolonged idling
* Trip lengths and coolant temperatures which indicate short trips
* Engine RPM and engine loads which indicate trailer tow usage
* Fuel indications of an ethanol percentage of 60 percent or greater

The oil change indicator can be reset using the following steps:

1. Turn the ignition key to ON but do not start the engine. If you have the push button start, press the button twice with the key in the vehicle and your foot OFF the brake.
2. Slowly depress the accelerator to the floor and release it three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position (or press the push button to turn OFF).
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
nathantw
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
The oil change indicator can be reset using the following steps:

1. Turn the ignition key to ON but do not start the engine. If you have the push button start, press the button twice with the key in the vehicle and your foot OFF the brake.
2. Slowly depress the accelerator to the floor and release it three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position (or press the push button to turn OFF).
Thank you for that. I was waiting to read that we had to jump through a few more hoops in order to reset it. I'm sure that's a quick and easy way to do it in practice, but just reading it sounds much more involved than just pressing a reset button a display.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
kkreit01

For a brand new vehicle, I typically like to do one around 1500 -- sometimes even less if the vehicle has sat on the lot long enough. Remember, there is also a time interval requirement. EVIC, 6 months, 8500 miles -- whichever comes first. I plan to change mine this weekend (around 1700 mi), and then take advantage of the 2 free dealer OCIs afterwards.

When I bought my car (MKZ), the oil change light came on during the test drive. It was sort of a "demo", but only had 700 mi. However, those 700 mi were all very short trips, and it was on the lot for ~ 1 year (owner drove it). Thus, I changed the oil the weekend I brought it home.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
WvTaco
2011 WK 

I did the first at 6 months. I was at 7k miles. Second I scheduled next mont at the 1 yr mark. Might have 13k by then.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
rustyosaurus
2012 WK 

so you really should change the oil at 8500 (or whatever your JGC requires) OR 6 months? i only drive 8000 miles a year so i've been pretty much doing it yearly on my other car, but i'll start doing it every six months on the new jeep.
rustyosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
txwest
2012 WK 

I special ordered my JGC. I changed mine to Mobil 1 blend at 500 miles. I don't trust break-in oil. I am coming up on 5k. I will put Mobil 1 fully synthetic in it at that time. 5k should be enough to seat the rings and lubricate the seals. If it's not, the 100k warranty can take care of that.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
jacobsed

I like to visually check the oil....I actually check the level and color on the dipstick. If its getting too dirty before the oil is due then I change it. I guess that is old school though.
jacobsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

My Jeep dealer here in Denver said that at high altitude you want to do it every 5,000 miles instead of every 8,000 or whatever it says in the manual. I think I'd do every 5,000 anyway to keep it running best.

A mechanic I trust once told me that it is best not to follow the recommended oil change mileage when you get more miles on a car. Car makers want their engines to start to break down after 100K miles so you go and buy a new one, but still feel like your car lasted a while so you don't dump the brand.
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
unimatrixzer0

The manual says every 8000 miles, but I was also talked into buying scheduled maintenance care. It says 3 months or 4,000 miles. It's basically the same schedule but they added an extra oil change in between all the scheduled services in the book. You better believe I'm taking my Jeep in for an oil change every 3 months! lol. I only drive about 9000 miles a year.
unimatrixzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyosaurus View Post
so you really should change the oil at 8500 (or whatever your JGC requires) OR 6 months? i only drive 8000 miles a year so i've been pretty much doing it yearly on my other car, but i'll start doing it every six months on the new jeep.
You should change your oil at or close to the recommended mileage based on light duty driving. If you have severe driving, such as towing then it should be done sooner. I wouldn't go over 5000 miles under these conditions, although the EVIC will most likely alert you. The time is also important. Never go over 6 months, reguardless of the mileage. The reason is that you oil becomes acidic with time and can actually eat bearing surfaces with micro pitting. Just looking at your oil is useless. You can't tell by looking at the level of black in the oil. The best way is to have an oil sample sent out for testing and that will tell you what condition the oil is in at that mileage/time interval. Most people don't bother with this due to cost and time. Thats why they came up with the mileage/time schedule because it covers most drivers.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.