FINALLY finished my Rock Rail Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > FINALLY finished my Rock Rail Install

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
MartyA
2012 WK 

FINALLY finished my Rock Rail Install

I actually got the parts about two months ago and once I started it still took a month to get the installation finished but I'm very happy with the results.

Good
  1. Very sturdy and high quality construction
  2. They look great on the vehicle

Less Good
  1. The installation was a pain until I ignored the instructions
  2. The rails stick out a bit further than I expected so my leg pushes against it as I'm getting in.

I found out that prepping for the installation was VERY important. When I was prepping the nuts and bolts I found three nuts that had welding flash on them (see the pic). Filing that off up front was far better than finding it in the middle of the installation. The rear (inside) bolts also thread into nuts welded to the rail. I found that those threads were pretty rough and getting the bolts in and out once cleaned them up nicely.

For the installation itself everything was pretty much on track until I tried to bolt the front (outside) of the rail to the body. The instructions say to bolt the back of the rail on BEFORE the front. There was NO WAY that the front could be attached when following those instructions. The picture with my hand in it shows that the outside top of the rail was at least an inch away from the body and nowhere close to slipping over the very short bolts.

I took the rail down and walked away from it. For quite a while. But that was mostly due to other responsibilities getting in the way.

Finally I came back to the install and this time I put the front on first. The bolts snapped right into place and the front installation worked perfectly. Getting the nuts on the short bolts was very easy. Moving to the back (inside) of the rail I had to use my floor jack to push the rail up to where the bolt holes lined up but that was just awkward, not impossible.

So I bolted everything up with plenty of threadlocker and I'm done! I still need to spray some flat black paint over the scuffed nuts but that doesn't count

Next is the winch mount!! That may take me some time to build up to

20130527_121934.jpg   20130618_200928.jpg   20130618_200957.jpg   img_1709.jpg  
MartyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
txwest
2012 WK 

Nice install!

I agree, that slag was ridiculous.
The winch mount is quite easy, just a little time consuming. I created an in-depth build thread for the winch mount. Enjoy!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...stall-1535128/

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
lysol
2013 WK 

Looks great!!!

Can you think of any reason that Mopar decided that open ended rock rails are a good idea?
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
NCJeepGC
2012 WK 

Looks good! Thanks for the pics!
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
kkreit01

Looks great. Sloppy Chinese hardware. Are they made in China? I know other Mopar accessories are.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Alaska-HWY JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol View Post
Looks great!!!

Can you think of any reason that Mopar decided that open ended rock rails are a good idea?
What do you mean by open ended? Mine aren't.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
lysol
2013 WK 

They aren't hollow?
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
FranksWK
2005 WK 

Yeah mopar likes when their wiring hanesses are made in china.....
FranksWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
bulj
2012 WK 

Good write up and thanks for the info.

Where did you order them?
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
MartyA
2012 WK 

Sorry I've been offline for a few days and didn't respond.

Thanks for the kind comments!

For the question about 'open ended', I'm not sure what you mean by hollow. The steel outer skin is held about an inch off the bottom of the body by internal bracing. I don't call that hollow? And I think it's actually a good choice since that will allow any water in the rail to drain out thru several holes.

But typical road splash isn't going to get in there much - they are pretty well closed up once they are mounted.

And if you're questioning the strength I think you're wrong. They function really well as a step and I jacked a wheel off the ground with the jack on the bottom of the rail.

As for china vs elsewhere? Who knows, and for basic fabrications like this I don't think you're going to find anyone who won't use a low bidder. I want to buy american (for example, I won't shop at WalMart) but we don't always have a choice.
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
MartyA
2012 WK 

Oh, and I ordered them from my local dealer but I did it thru my friends auto shop so they gave him the trade price vs retail. I could have bought them for the same price online but then I'd pay shipping.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.