Factory Tire Wear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory Tire Wear

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Chrisfol82

Factory Tire Wear

I bought a 2013 Grand Cherokee a little over a year ago, and have about 16,000 miles on it.

Its a laredo X with the 5.7 v8, 4wd with tow package.

With 16,000 miles on it the rear tires are almost bald, the fronts are a quite a bit better but not a whole lot.

Anyone else get this poor of life out of their factory tires? Why would the rears wear so much more than the fronts? Its all wheel drive so its not like I'm doing burn outs every time i start moving... Just wondering if this anyone else had the factory tires wear so quickly, and hopefully i can expect better wear life when i replace these with something new soon.

Chrisfol82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

It would help if you mention wheel size and brand. My 20inch GYs went over 40,000 miles replaced only because of a nail in an unrepairable area. Do you do a lot of towing? The QTII AWD is biased a little to the rear.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

16K miles...rear tires nearly bald, but not the fronts. Have you not been rotating your tires regularly? Outside of a defective tire, if you are properly rotating (I do it at oil changes), all should have similar wear.

That said, 16K miles with that kind of wear would be very unusual. Most folks will get 30-50K miles from a set of tires, depending on the tire and other factors. Something is amiss...
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
kkreit01

Sound like they needed rotating quite some time ago. However, my OE Michelin Latitudes were horrible as well. They were down to 5/32nd at 22K mi. I replaced them before winter, and couldn't be happier.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Chrisfol82

Admittedly i have not rotated them as I should have, and i know that doesn't help, but the fronts aren't much better, so regardless of them not having been rotated they shouldn't have worn out that quick. I don't remember specifically what the tire that came on it stock, ill have to go take a look, but they are the 18" rim tires. Have not done much towing at all. I'm probably going to be getting them replaced in the next week or so just was curious if anyone else had experienced such terrible wear from the factory tires. Sounds like kkreit had some pretty bad wear too, if i rotated mine when i should have id probably be close to the wear you described.

Kkreit how many miles are on your new tires, what kind did you go with, and do they seem to be wearing better if you have enough miles to tell?
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
MarkSRT8
2012 WK 

I've got 28k on the OEM tires on my "12" and there is a lot of tread left! But tire air pressure is checked weekly and set at 35psi. Rotated once a year.
MarkSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
eibyer

I have 17" Forteras and it finally came off today (5/32 treads left) at 28,400 miles, wasn't planned at all. I had an unrepairable damage on one tire. Got a set of Cooper Discoverer tires, looks more aggressive than my factory tires and not loud at all from the 10 short miles I drove from DT to work.
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Very odd that your rear tires have worn faster than the fronts.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
DRKRED12

May have a lot to do with proper rotation and proper air pressure. I also check my air pressure once a week and rotate my tires at each oil change. 20,000 miles on 20" Goodyears on 2012 Altitude with hemi and tires still look new. Also highly contraversial but I run Nitrogen in my tires. Seems to hold constant air pressure more consistent than air.
DRKRED12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I have never heard of rears wearing faster - it is always the front since they see more wear because of steering.

1) Did you rotate, and hence why the rears are worn more?
2) Are both rears worn evenly?
3) Are they worn evenly across each tire, or is the inside, outside, or middle worn more? That would generally indicate an alignment issue.
Unread 01-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
Chrisfol82

I was surprised that the rears were wearing faster than the fronts as well, i expected the opposite, and that is partly why i hadn't rotated them to begin with.

They are worn pretty evenly, and pretty evenly across the tire. The pressures have remained pretty consistent as far as the dash read out they have been pretty steady at ~35 PSI.

Could the rear be out of alignment?
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
oldmac1
2014 WK 

My last two GC's had trouble reaching 20k miles with the stock tires. I do maintain the tire pressure and rotated them frequently and still had no luck with them. Needless to say I replaced them with different brand of tires and had better luck. These pot holes we have in the highways can knock the alignment out also. It had been recommended to me to get a tire with harder rubber, the claim is a longer tire life but a harsher ride. Your not alone in needing to change stock tires early. Good luck.
15 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
fwdjeep
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfol82 View Post
I bought a 2013 Grand Cherokee a little over a year ago, and have about 16,000 miles on it.

Its a laredo X with the 5.7 v8, 4wd with tow package.

With 16,000 miles on it the rear tires are almost bald, the fronts are a quite a bit better but not a whole lot.

Anyone else get this poor of life out of their factory tires? Why would the rears wear so much more than the fronts? Its all wheel drive so its not like I'm doing burn outs every time i start moving... Just wondering if this anyone else had the factory tires wear so quickly, and hopefully i can expect better wear life when i replace these with something new soon.
I would say check wheel alinements both front and rear and yes there is an alinment on rear as well
Has the rear been set up correctly
Australia
fwdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
Chrisfol82

Well should be taking it in for some new tires tomorrow, so will have the alignment checked when they put them on. I can only assume the rear was set up correctly from teh factory, it hasn't been in a shop so far to have it checked.
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo X with 5.7, 18" wheels and tires

I replaced my Michelin Latitudes at 32,000 miles. I keep the Jeep aligned and rotated regularly. The rears were well past the wear bars. I probably should have replaced the tires at 28,000 miles. I replaced with Yokohama Geolanders.

I wasn't impressed with the tires only lasting 30,000 miles or so.
ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.