Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date)

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 05-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #76
ferntree

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekcropper View Post
Mine the EcoDiesel. 2 or 3 times after parking in the garage there has been noticeable smell. Not had it for the last few days.
You sure it's not after it has done a regen? Heats up to very high temp at highway speed for about 10-15 minutes and burns all the soot off in the particulate filter or something. Smells like hot metal for a little while.

Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #77
NomadicCustoms
2014 WK 

Just dropped off the truck at service dept. right away they saying oh if it's something you hit, like a pothole it's not under warranty. Which didn't sit well with me. Yes a small rock hit the axle band just perfectly so it came off lol. Worst cutomer service at kings Chrysler,jeep,dodge,ram. Will see what happens and I'll keep you guys informed.

Feliks.
NomadicCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #78
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^^

And if you crawled under there and cut the boot with a razor blade, that's not covered...

And if you went on vacation and a squirrel nested there and chewed through the boot, that's not covered...

Really? Thanks for telling me you will do everything possible to make sure this is not a warranty repair!

Man, I HATE when dealers start things this way. Good luck man!

If they give any grief make then call Chrysler TAC and that should solve any warranty coverage issues as this failure situation now has the formal attention of mgt and is in the process of being officially communicated. Don't know if it will be a TSB, RRT or Recall but JNAP knows they have an ugly booboo getting out of the factory on Mar-Apr builds.
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #79
TypeRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
^^^^^^

If they give any grief make then call Chrysler TAC and that should solve any warranty coverage issues as this failure situation now has the formal attention of mgt and is in the process of being officially communicated. Don't know if it will be a TSB, RRT or Recall but JNAP knows they have an ugly booboo getting out of the factory on Mar-Apr builds.
When did you get wind of this? That's awesome news!
TypeRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #80
14summithemi
2014 WK 

I started a STAR case "for the team" on 4/29 using my VIN and that's what was fed back.
Unread 05-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #81
14summithemi
2014 WK 

For what it's worth, the Durango's (same axle assy part numbers) are affected as well. Their forums are lit up too.
Unread 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #82
TypeRod

Quote:
I started a STAR case "for the team" on 4/29 using my VIN and that's what was fed back.
Wow, good job and Thanks for that!

Quote:
For what it's worth, the Durango's (same axle assy part numbers) are affected as well. Their forums are lit up too.
I feel good that the love has spread to the Durangos, lol, I kid!
TypeRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #83
NomadicCustoms
2014 WK 

Got a call back from adviser, axle ordered and will be replaced under warranty, 3-5 days to get the axle.
NomadicCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #84
wborisenok

I can't decide if I'm bummed for the rest of you or happy that I'm not alone! Picked up my '14 Limited about 3 weeks ago. Drove it to about 600 miles, stopped into the dealer to grab my check for my trade and noticed the grease on the spot. My salesman had me bring it to service immediately and the lead service tech confirmed that I couldn't drive it. They got me into a rental and kept my truck. They called the next day with a summary of what they were going to do (replace the entire passengers side front axle) and I should have my car by Friday - about 4 days later.

Got a call on Friday and was expecting good news. Turns out, they replaced the front passengers side axle, took it for a test drive, put it back up on the jack to make sure it all looked good, and the drivers side axle had blown. They told me they were ordering the part and they should have it today. I talked to the lead service tech this morning and he said he'd call me around 4 with an update. I filed a case with Chrysler on Friday afternoon and should also be hearing back from them today. I'm not a happy camper. I haven't even made a payment on it yet and already two axles had to be replaced! Will let you all know what I hear today.
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #85
Clirry
2014 WK 

^^^ "I haven't even made a payment on it" haha so sad! Same here with my jeep, it was only one week and driver axle went kaboom. I just pray passenger axle ll cooperate w me.
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #86
dlthig
2014 WK 

I swung by Rick Hendrick in CHS. It was a quick diagnosis. The retaining band just didn't hold the boot in place. Service Manager said the part was back ordered and would arrive in about a week.
dlthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #87
PhillyAnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clirry View Post
Dropped her off last monday, and today, still not ready. They said it could be few days or more... nightmare!

Philly and other victims... how long did your jeep stay at dealerships for the repair?
I dropped mine off at 5pm and had it back less than 24 hours later. Yes, they gave me a free rental (new Dodge Ram with 14 miles on it!)

Want to drop some LBs? I can help you. Seriously! Private message me if you want to learn how.

http://youtu.be/2f13kCFux0s
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #88
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
I dropped mine off at 5pm and had it back less than 24 hours later. Yes, they gave me a free rental (new Dodge Ram with 14 miles on it!)
I left mine at 5PM last Tuesday. They put me in a Chrysler 200. When I found out I wasn't getting my car as scheduled last Friday, I told them I needed something bigger. Of course, I did just purchase a Grand Cherokee! They swapped out the 200 and put me in a GMC Yukon. I'm saving all of my gas receipts and I plan on submitting them to Chrysler, as directed by my dealer's service manager. I'm still in shock that my brand new vehicle has already had 2 axles replaced.
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #89
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clirry View Post
^^^ "I haven't even made a payment on it" haha so sad! Same here with my jeep, it was only one week and driver axle went kaboom. I just pray passenger axle ll cooperate w me.
You should bring it in and force them to check the passengers side axle. You didn't happen to get it at Metro Chrysler Jeep in Johnston, did you? That's where mine came from and they did mention that another customer had one axle go.
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #90
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlthig View Post
I swung by Rick Hendrick in CHS. It was a quick diagnosis. The retaining band just didn't hold the boot in place. Service Manager said the part was back ordered and would arrive in about a week.
Damn shame that a major issue for some is caused by a simple retaining ring. Since it's isolated to a certain build period, maybe Chrysler changed vendors for that part during that time frame? Or some vehicles got through final assembly & the rings simply weren't tightened properly?
Whatever the reason, it obviously sucks big time for those affected.
Not good Chrysler.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.