Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #61
goodhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clirry View Post
Yeah, they offered me free rental car but I opted. I asked, looks like it ll be ready today. If axle grease fails again...hopefully NOT) but, I might hold it and call them to check if parts are in stock or not. Ha.
Yeah, I'm interested to see how the replacement axles hold up. It's also going to be interesting in a couple months when everyone takes their 3/14 build cars in for their first oil change, and the dealers find all the failed boots.

goodhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #62
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^

It's also April builds.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #63
redddog

I took delivery yesterday. Build date 4/14. Dealer said that they've seen some failures but checked mine and I should be good to go.

I wonder how they know that?
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #64
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^

If you are asking how they would know you are good to go it should be that they saw no obvious failure (grease everywhere) AND the clamps and boots were firmly seated AND no grease was just starting to become visible under the boot edges. That would be as complete a "good to go" as you could get.

If it were me I would periodically peek under for the next month or two. If they stay good for that long you are truly good to go assuming the issue was loose (assembly issue) clamps and not failing (design/manuf issue) clamps.
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #65
MickinNY
2013 WK 

[quote=FlyingDiver;22731553]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post

3/14 is not March 14th, but March of 2014.
Duh....another brain fart. Think I'll make that 2 more cups...thanks.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #66
redddog

I just wonder because at the time they looked, the truck had 6 miles on it.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #67
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
^^^^^

As FlyingDiver said, 2014....I know the H is 9pm cause I was referring to his MDH label of 022821, the H (21) being 2100hrs military time or 9p.

Have another cup of Jo on me.
Got it....thanks.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #68
Clirry
2014 WK 

Homer- Yeah, just called dealership and turned out that they are backordered with axles... But, luckily they will replace drivers axle tomorrow. Once I pick it up, I will DEFINITELY make a suggestion to dealership to order plenty of axles in stock... since its pretty big common issue for march/april jeeps.
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #69
R1200RT
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1200RT View Post
Build date 4/14 186 miles delivered on 5/2. Overland, Diesel, OR2, Adv Tech
While driving to the office this morning the Traction Control warning light on the dash went on. The button didn't turn TC back on. I pulled into a parking lot shut it down and restarted - light off the rest of today. When I got home I decided to check out the undercarriage for kicks. Noticed there was grease on the inside of the right front wheel. The outside clamp was loose but still there. Drivers side looked normal. Don't know if the TC issue was connected. Taking it in tomorrow only a few miles away.
I know Bad Form I'm quoting myself. ^^
They had it overnight for the repair didn't have the part in stock. Same outcome as the others have posted they replaced the right side half-shaft. Service writer said that is what Jeep directed them to do. As suggested I'll keep checking the side for a while. This thread is what probably got me to look after the TC sensor activated.
R1200RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #70
NomadicCustoms
2014 WK 

Hey all,
Lease a brand new 2014 Grand Cherokee limited v6. 4/14 production date. Currently 1243 miles, stumbled upon this post decided to check my axles, I was at the hand wash and noticed grease on the tire itself had them clean it off and didn't think much of it. Driver side boot is completely off and spraying grease everywhere. Making an appointment to dealer now. Thanks for posting this!
NomadicCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #71
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^^

Pls. have other side closely inspected per other owner experiences detailed in this thread...keep the faith and drive the 2iss out of it when you get it back.
Unread 05-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #72
stevekcropper
2014 WK 

3/14 build 1000 miles no problem so far

Just checked mine, very clean and no sign of leak. I was concerned because on a couple of occasions I have smelt a burning smell at the end of a run. I had put it down to being new although I was concerned it was still there at 1000 miles.
stevekcropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #73
dlthig
2014 WK 

Another one in the April build. Driver's side only 325 miles. I'll be calling for the first service appointment tomorrow.
dlthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #74
ferntree

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekcropper View Post
Just checked mine, very clean and no sign of leak. I was concerned because on a couple of occasions I have smelt a burning smell at the end of a run. I had put it down to being new although I was concerned it was still there at 1000 miles.
Burning smell - gas or diesel?

Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #75
stevekcropper
2014 WK 

Mine the EcoDiesel. 2 or 3 times after parking in the garage there has been noticeable smell. Not had it for the last few days.
stevekcropper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.