Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date)

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #46
redddog

Hey guys. Taking delivery of a LTD tomorrow.

You think this is an issue that can be spotted by inspection before delivery? I asked my guy to take a look, I just hope it can be identified by looking at it rather than waiting for it to fail.

Thanks all

redddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #47
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
Hey guys. Taking delivery of a LTD tomorrow.

You think this is an issue that can be spotted by inspection before delivery? I asked my guy to take a look, I just hope it can be identified by looking at it rather than waiting for it to fail.

Thanks all
Absolutely. The mess is unmistakable. Just also be sure as previously detailed they look at the edge of the outer boot outboard ring area for ANY grease oozing from under the boot edge. Small amount of grease now = BIG problem later (very soon). Not trying to scare, just focus attention.

May your delivery be what it should be, a joyous event!
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #48
Kablemodem
2014 WK 

Overland with 3/14 build date with 1,600 miles and no signs of grease so far.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #49
Clirry
2014 WK 

Dropped her off last monday, and today, still not ready. They said it could be few days or more... nightmare!

Philly and other victims... how long did your jeep stay at dealerships for the repair?
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #50
redddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
Absolutely. The mess is unmistakable. Just also be sure as previously detailed they look at the edge of the outer boot outboard ring area for ANY grease oozing from under the boot edge. Small amount of grease now = BIG problem later (very soon). Not trying to scare, just focus attention.

May your delivery be what it should be, a joyous event!
Yeah, I'm sure its pretty obvious when it happens. I was wondering if you can tell that the part is faulty BEFORE it actually happens by looking at it
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #51
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^^

The faulty part appears to be a clamp that is loose but not off or hanging Si only early sign is grease not yet flung but just starting to get under boot edge.
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #52
redddog

So they should be able to see if it's loose?
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #53
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^

It may be loose enough to turn, nobody knows. ANY grease showing around boot edge = Defective.
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #54
MickinNY
2013 WK 

[QUOTE=14summithemi;22680529]^^^^^
Yes, the MDH is assigned in the computer when the body is dropped onto "frame". The Date of Manufacture is when it leaves the line, normally same day or next day. However, 2/28 is a Friday and your "H" is 9pm so it left the line in March, hence, your Date of Manufacture is 3/14.

I'm not following you on this...maybe I need another cup of jo.
First off, how does the H equate to 9pm?
Secondly, if the body was dropped onto "frame' Feb. 28 & as you say DOM is normally same day or next, then his build date of Mar. 14 tells me his Jeep didn't leave the line till 2 weeks later. What am I missing?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #55
FlyingDiver
2014 WK 

[quote=MickinNY;22731185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
^^^^^
Yes, the MDH is assigned in the computer when the body is dropped onto "frame". The Date of Manufacture is when it leaves the line, normally same day or next day. However, 2/28 is a Friday and your "H" is 9pm so it left the line in March, hence, your Date of Manufacture is 3/14.

I'm not following you on this...maybe I need another cup of jo.
First off, how does the H equate to 9pm?
Secondly, if the body was dropped onto "frame' Feb. 28 & as you say DOM is normally same day or next, then his build date of Mar. 14 tells me his Jeep didn't leave the line till 2 weeks later. What am I missing?
3/14 is not March 14th, but March of 2014.
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #56
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^

As FlyingDiver said, 2014....I know the H is 9pm cause I was referring to his MDH label of 022821, the H (21) being 2100hrs military time or 9p.

Have another cup of Jo on me.
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #57
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^

Just realized I need another cup of Jo too. I mentioned Friday but never followed thru on thought. Since body drop was 9pm on last day of month and they can't finish it in 3 hrs the vehicle would have been finished on Mar 1, 2 or 3 (Monday). Pretty sure JNAP is building on weekends but either way it got finished in March so that is why the Date of Mfr = March.
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #58
goodhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clirry View Post
Dropped her off last monday, and today, still not ready. They said it could be few days or more... nightmare!

Philly and other victims... how long did your jeep stay at dealerships for the repair?
I've been waiting since (this) Monday. Curious too... what reason did they give? Did they give you a rental? Hopefully this isn't the beginning of a part shortage. Good luck.

EDIT: Someone on Jeep Garage reported that their parts are on back order.
goodhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #59
Kablemodem
2014 WK 

My MDH is 022820, so within an hour.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #60
Clirry
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhomer
I've been waiting since (this) Monday. Curious too... what reason did they give? Did they give you a rental? Hopefully this isn't the beginning of a part shortage. Good luck. EDIT: Someone on Jeep Garage reported that their parts are on back order.
Yeah, they offered me free rental car but I opted. I asked, looks like it ll be ready today. If axle grease fails again...hopefully NOT) but, I might hold it and call them to check if parts are in stock or not. Ha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.