Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date)

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #31
goodhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
Has anyone who has had the issue with the front CV boots, checked on the rear boots? I didn't even think to check my rears before it got towed away to the dealer.
I didn't have any issues on the rears, I haven't heard of anyone else reporting that either. You had it (literally) towed? Just curious, was that out of an abundance of caution, or the dealer recommended it?

goodhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #32
TypeRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhomer View Post
I didn't have any issues on the rears, I haven't heard of anyone else reporting that either. You had it (literally) towed? Just curious, was that out of an abundance of caution, or the dealer recommended it?
That was purely me....just for the fact that it made sense that its a safety issue, if that grease were to somehow get on the rotor, very small chance I know, but anything is possible, PLUS, I'm sure by not driving it to the dealer, that I didn't add to the mess on my left side, and I didn't create a mess on my right side, since my right side is about to come off as well. I'll update my post with pics of my soon to fail right side. If youre a member on Jeep garage I have post pics in that thread there as well.

Also, I thought I had read someone posting, an alignment is needed after getting the axles replaced? am I just imagining I read that? Did you get an alignment after you axles were replaced? Thanks!
TypeRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #33
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^^^^

No alignment needed so long as tech doesn't turn adjuster buckles during replacement. If they have to "move" things they know enough to mark, count turns, etc so as not to force a re-alignment.

However, you should always give it the full alignment driving "test" after ANY front end work.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #34
TypeRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
^^^^^^^^

No alignment needed so long as tech doesn't turn adjuster buckles during replacement. If they have to "move" things they know enough to mark, count turns, etc so as not to force a re-alignment.

However, you should always give it the full alignment driving "test" after ANY front end work.
Sweet, will do! Thanks!
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #35
RB145
2014 WK 

A member of the family just bought a Limited with a 3-10 build date and I took a look and found no grease. Is the problem just isolated to the 3-14 build date?
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #36
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^^

Early March through mid-April build dates have been confirmed as having the problem.

Please be aware that evidence exists that it is not necessarily a you got it or you don't deal. It has been confirmed on one vehicle that one side was splattered and the other is in "pre" splatter stage. The one side had grease beginning to ooze under the boot at the large outboard clamp ring end. Also, the factory boot/clamp/axle alignment marks were NOT aligned. These two conditions imply that the failures may very well be a result of a loose but not obviously so (not hanging) outer CV boot outboard clamp ring.

The punch line is that if you have a March or April build you should closely watch the outer CV boot outboard clamp ring. If you see ANY grease just starting to come from under the boot at that point take it to the dealer as that is a guaranteed eventual fail as no grease should ever be showing there.

These clamps cannot be tightened in the field. It's a complete CV joint/half-shaft axle assembly replacement to fix it.

Part numbers are 52124712AC for the RH (longer in pic) axle assembly and 52124713AC for the LH (shorter in pic).
axleassy.jpg

Unread 05-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #37
Clirry
2014 WK 

3/14 JGC, 300 miles on it and already failed with cv boot. Will take it out to dealership today.
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #38
stech
2014 WK 

Hello.

I posted earlier and still no issues but how do I tell where my GC is compared to others having the issue by build date?
Mine is 2014 GC Laredo 4x4 build date 03/14 MDH #'s 022821 last 8 of VIN EC422445 with 2075 miles on it and "NO" grease on rims or on boots . Do you need whole VIN?
Can some one explain the MDH #'s 022821 and 03/14 build date on the sticker , and then compared to what others who have had the issue have on their dates. Where am I compared to them since I have no grease issues yet at over 2K miles.

I also looked to see if any yellow marks to line up on the boots but only see purple ones that dont line up with anything. Is there something I should look for to see if I can expect this issue in the future?
Hopefully I dont sound too ignorant here, just trying to figure this out.
Edit/Delete Message
stech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #39
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^

Yes, the MDH is assigned in the computer when the body is dropped onto "frame". The Date of Manufacture is when it leaves the line, normally same day or next day. However, 2/28 is a Friday and your "H" is 9pm so it left the line in March, hence, your Date of Manufacture is 3/14.

Ya, alignment marks are probably a less exact guide (maybe) but certainly something to watch for movement. ANY grease, anywhere, any amount = problem.
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #40
goodhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
That was purely me....just for the fact that it made sense that its a safety issue, if that grease were to somehow get on the rotor, very small chance I know, but anything is possible, PLUS, I'm sure by not driving it to the dealer, that I didn't add to the mess on my left side, and I didn't create a mess on my right side, since my right side is about to come off as well. I'll update my post with pics of my soon to fail right side. If youre a member on Jeep garage I have post pics in that thread there as well.

Also, I thought I had read someone posting, an alignment is needed after getting the axles replaced? am I just imagining I read that? Did you get an alignment after you axles were replaced? Thanks!
Sorry for the delayed response -- it looks like someone has already answered your alignment question. That makes sense, especially since you had the passenger side getting ready to fail. Mine is currently in the shop. I plan to post before and after photos.
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #41
goodhomer

I have a family member who recently bought a Durango. I'm planning to check their car, but was curious what you guys thought? Would you expect the issue to affect the Durango as well?
Unread 05-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #42
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^^^

Probably yes since part number is same and both are built at JNAP in Detroit.

Very curious if this is showing up on Dodge Durango forums, they have those don't they?
Unread 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #43
TypeRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhomer View Post
Sorry for the delayed response -- it looks like someone has already answered your alignment question. That makes sense, especially since you had the passenger side getting ready to fail. Mine is currently in the shop. I plan to post before and after photos.
No worries goodhomer!
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #44
R1200RT
2014 WK 

Build date 4/14 186 miles delivered on 5/2. Overland, Diesel, OR2, Adv Tech
While driving to the office this morning the Traction Control warning light on the dash went on. The button didn't turn TC back on. I pulled into a parking lot shut it down and restarted - light off the rest of today. When I got home I decided to check out the undercarriage for kicks. Noticed there was grease on the inside of the right front wheel. The outside clamp was loose but still there. Drivers side looked normal. Don't know if the TC issue was connected. Taking it in tomorrow only a few miles away.
R1200RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #45
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^

Bummer R1200RT. Pls double check the last few pages of this thread. Your "good" boot may have grease just beginning to ooze under in an early stage of failure. May not. Point is have it inspected closely and if they don't replace that side, watch it closely over time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.