Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date)

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #16
ZX-10R
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norge2000
I have a 2/14 build date on my Laredo 4x4 and so far so good. I just crossed 2k miles.
Same on the 2/14. Limited 4x4 perfect first 1900 miles.

ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #17
PhillyAnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesh View Post
Thanks for posting. I have 3/14 build date. Just picked it up last Friday. Im still in the break in period (180 miles so far) so I'll monitor this and post and call if I see any issue. Nothing yet. it would be interesting to know if the entire CV boot failed or the clamp wasn't tight enough.
Definitely monitor it. The issues seem to have started with the 3/14 build dates.

Want to drop some LBs? I can help you. Seriously! Private message me if you want to learn how.

http://youtu.be/2f13kCFux0s
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #18
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003 View Post
Who is the vendor who supplies the cv axles? Sometimes there are tags on the shafts. This sounds like a supplier problem, not a chysler problem. Did the outer clamps come off or were they missing?? Or did the boots tear??
The outboard clamp on the outer boot on front CV joints (most have both off) seems to either have slipped off from either grease under it at assembly or clamp not being secured tight enough at assembly OR the clamp was never "cinched" down to begin with. The clamp is a one piece unit siilar to a watch band that folds twice inward to close up and tighten. It has 2 notches to act as the "clasp". Appears to be a custom assembly plant type tool that would do the "cinching". Everyone's are a mess after failure so we would need to see a "failed" one cleaned up if we wanted to play Columbo (which I like to do btw).
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #19
ifulton
2014 WK 

Thumbs up Yikes

First post on here and I find out my car has an issue. Ran out to check and it looks good. Thanks for the heads up and I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Last edited by ifulton; 05-02-2014 at 10:04 AM..
ifulton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
AZFoxes
2014 WK 

My baby has the same build date and so far, so good...on everything knock on wood. My only gripe is I'm still running temp tags after 5 weeks of ownership. Of course this isn't an issue with the Jeep just a slow dealer and/or DMV.
AZFoxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #21
EcoAquariums

Just checked the front wheels and there is some grease build up on the inside of the rims. Just picked up my 4x4 Limited (build date 3-14) on Wednesday, guess I will be stopping by the dealership next week to find out what they are going to do....Hopefully this is the only issue with my first Jeep.
EcoAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #22
TypeRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7977 View Post
Hey everyone, this will be my first post on this forum. My family just picked up our brand new 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi with the Quadra Drive 4X4 last week. This was a special order and was built 4/14. Two days ago I noticed a few patches of grease inside of the front passengers side wheel and saw that the CV boot was slinging grease everywhere, just like the photos above. Took it into the dealer today and they replaced the half shaft. I just wanted to chime in and say I had the same issue so it will be interesting to see how many more pop up. Luckily I am OCD about maintaining my vehicles and caught it with only 160 miles on the vehicle. Disregarding this failure the rest of the vehicle is awesome! Got the blue and brown interior which in my opinion is spectacular!
Hi Chris, when you say they replaced the half-shaft, is that the same thing as the entire axle? Thanks!
TypeRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #23
TypeRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyK View Post
Hey Everyone. Got my jeep about six weeks ago, and a week after getting it while installing front mudflaps saw the faulty clamp on the cv. Dealership had to order new driveshaft, so my car was at the dealer for 3 days. now it has been for two weeks at the dealer for a faulty diesel tank, and they told me yesterday that because of it being on backorder it will take 7 - 10 days before they would receive a new tank for me. This is making me wonder how good their quality control is.
Hi FreakyK, could you please clarify was is a new driveshaft or axle the dealer replaced? I have the same issue, and I just want to be sure of everyone's fix which seem to be replacing the axles. Thanks!
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #24
14summithemi
2014 WK 

^^^^^^^

Just wanted to butt in....the front on the JGC only has 2 half-shafts (L & R) coming out of the differential so that is basically the only replaceable item. Those two axle assemblies do not have any orderable sub-parts.
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #25
TypeRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
^^^^^^^

Just wanted to butt in....the front on the JGC only has 2 half-shafts (L & R) coming out of the differential so that is basically the only replaceable item. Those two axle assemblies do not have any orderable sub-parts.
Thank you again! lol!
Unread 05-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #26
youngvw

I'm in the grease club too. Overland with a March 2014 build date. The driver's side came apart within the first 350 miles of owning it. My dealer said it was odd and they replaced the entire assembly. Today I found grease again, this time it's on the passenger side (1500 miles on the odo).

I'm glad you posted about this, at least I'm not alone and it's particular to this build. Hopefully it doesn't come back with the new shafts.
youngvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #27
goodhomer

Another data point for you: got the same issue, both wheels, 1000 miles, 3/14 build date. Stupid question, is it safe to drive like this? My buddy who knows cars says it's safe to drive for a while as long as it's not making a noise, but seems like people are making special trips to the dealers to get it fixed.
goodhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #28
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhomer View Post
Another data point for you: got the same issue, both wheels, 1000 miles, 3/14 build date. Stupid question, is it safe to drive like this? My buddy who knows cars says it's safe to drive for a while as long as it's not making a noise, but seems like people are making special trips to the dealers to get it fixed.
Your buddy is basically correct. A CV joint will click and/or grind when it is dry and in final stages of physical failure. However, grease may (unlikely tho) get onto brake pad/rotor surfaces causing a separate safety issue.

Net, net, no reason to push it. Personally, I would b-line to the dealer to make sure you get in line for parts although these parts are shared across a few vehicles and years so there should be some stock built up. Nobody knows if this is a small bad batch of axle assemblies like a few hundred or worse. I think they make like 1,600 or so JGC's a day so since build dates seem to have spanned early March to mid-April numbers could be pretty big.
Unread 05-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #29
goodhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
Net, net, no reason to push it. Personally, I would b-line to the dealer to make sure you get in line for parts although these parts are shared across a few vehicles and years so there should be some stock built up. Nobody knows if this is a small bad batch of axle assemblies like a few hundred or worse. I think they make like 1,600 or so JGC's a day so since build dates seem to have spanned early March to mid-April numbers could be pretty big.
Thanks for the info, I'll take it in soon.
goodhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #30
TypeRod

Has anyone who has had the issue with the front CV boots, checked on the rear boots? I didn't even think to check my rears before it got towed away to the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.