Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date) - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory defect warning: Grease in front wheels (3/14 build date)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #271
RB145
2014 WK 

I read all this talk about loaners or not getting loaners. Whenever I buy I new vehicle I get the talk about the service contract and the one nice thing is it covers the rental car because its not covered by the standard warranty. So I suspect a lot of people reject the service contract and then are shocked when they don't get a free loaner. As far as the post above this one.... They sprayed your bumper with paint to fix a scratch?? That is hard to believe as is most of your post, but that is just my opinion.

RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #272
Emdoc1

RB145, if I buy a $47K car and there is a manufacturing defect or failure after only three weeks and 1165 miles in my case, or even less miles in other cases with this same issue documented on this forum, then I EXPECT that the dealership or Jeep will provide me with alternate transportation. I should NOT have to buy any type of "service contract" in order to get proper service for a vehicle of this price. Fortunately, my assumptions are correct and after dropping off my car for this very problem a few minutes ago, I am waiting for Enterprise to show up with a vehicle for me to drive (provided by the dealer) while they fix the issue (which from what I'm reading may take some time to get the replacement axle). I did not purchase any type of enhanced service contract or option, other than tire insurance which is essential here in the pothole-ridden windy city.

I'll keep y'all updated as to how quickly they fix it and when (not IF) the passenger side fails.

Emdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #273
Emdoc1

Okay so here is my update on the grease saga: brought the car into the dealer this morning, after a couple of hours to officially diagnose the problem, they realized they have to order the axle. I got a call back from the service rep this afternoon stating that the part should be in on Saturday and they will be installing it the same day so the car should be ready Saturday... Of course, the passenger side is still intact so they will not proactively fix that one. Here's hoping the driver side is only a one-time repair.

Oh, by the way, they drove me down the street to the enterprise Rent-A-Car so I could pick up my loaner.
Unread 06-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #274
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdoc1 View Post
RB145, if I buy a $47K car and there is a manufacturing defect or failure after only three weeks and 1165 miles in my case, or even less miles in other cases with this same issue documented on this forum, then I EXPECT that the dealership or Jeep will provide me with alternate transportation.

Jeep typically helps with a loaners if the vehicle is not drivable and waiting for parts.

Most don't need alternate transportation and don't want it built into the vehicle price just to meet the expectations of a few. If you don't like the Jeep warranty, spend your money elsewhere.

$47K is cheap for a SUV now days. You could easily spend $80-90k on something equivalent that may have a loaner. High expectations usually leaves one a bit frustrated
Unread 06-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #275
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
RB145, if I buy a $47K car and there is a manufacturing defect or failure after only three weeks and 1165 miles in my case, or even less miles in other cases with this same issue documented on this forum, then I EXPECT that the dealership or Jeep will provide me with alternate transportation. I should NOT have to buy any type of "service contract" in order to get proper service for a vehicle of this price. Fortunately, my assumptions are correct and after dropping off my car for this very problem a few minutes ago, I am waiting for Enterprise to show up with a vehicle for me to drive (provided by the dealer) while they fix the issue (which from what I'm reading may take some time to get the replacement axle). I did not purchase any type of enhanced service contract or option, other than tire insurance which is essential here in the pothole-ridden windy city.

I'll keep y'all updated as to how quickly they fix it and when (not IF) the passenger side fails.

Couldn't agree more.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #276
Emdoc1

While off topic, I can't help but reply: My dad gets a loaner when his freakin' $28K Honda Accord is in for a maintenance issue, as does my mom and her $38K Lexus SUV, as does mywife's $30K Subaru. I don't think it is a "high expectation," if you sell a defective piece of machinery that breaks in the first three weeks of use, that some of us consider expensive (I'm glad $47K seems like a bargain to some folks, more power to ya), to request a replacement if it's going to be in the shop for more than routine maintenance (ie. a WARRANTY ISSUE).

Perhaps I have been spoiled by the Acuras, Audis, and BMW's I have owned in the past where it wasn't a question of whether I was going to have to beg the manufacturer or the dealership to put me in another car while they fix it. In fact, over the five BMW's I have owned (leased) over the last 14 years, I had only TWO non-scheduled maintenance issues, TOTAL. Both times, I was put in a comparable model during the repair.

Now, living in one of the nation's top 5 judicial hellholes (lawsuit-happy town), some local dealerships have stopped having their own fleet of loaners to minimize their liability exposure and instead pay for a rental from Enterprise, as is the case with the Jeep dealer where I bought my Overland. For this axle boot failure/grease-fest, I was given a Wrangler to drive because their Grand Cherokees are sitting on the lot waiting for the brake booster recall parts (that's a whole other thread for your reading pleasure...). I am content with the car they provided me. It's not a "luxury" brand and I don't expect luxury brand pampering, just for a dealership and manufacturer to be responsible and take care of their customers.
Unread 06-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #277
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Jeep typically helps with a loaners if the vehicle is not drivable and waiting for parts.

Most don't need alternate transportation and don't want it built into the vehicle price just to meet the expectations of a few. If you don't like the Jeep warranty, spend your money elsewhere.

$47K is cheap for a SUV now days. You could easily spend $80-90k on something equivalent that may have a loaner. High expectations usually leaves one a bit frustrated

I'm thinking most, if not all $80-90k said vehicles are gonna surpass a $47k Jeep in just about every category. Equivalent you say? Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Just like your statement of $47k is cheap for a SUV nowadays.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #278
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:

Perhaps I have been spoiled.
Exactly, well stated.... or, perhaps more likely, have been manipulated/brainwashed by marketing. Those brand do a great job with feel good marketing that you paid dearly for whether you recognize it or not. You could have saved a couple $thousand on the price of your other vehicles if they didn't include loaners and gourmet coffee/pastries in the waiting room . Personally, I rather spend a few $$$ on an old pickup to use as a loaner than give that to Honda, BMW, Mercedes. ..... just a different point of view I guess.. to me its just all part of the cost of ownership, not a gime. ... sigh

Oh by the way, neither Mercedes or BMW offered me factory loaners even when the car was laid up for a few days for repairs... the dealer offered to rent me a wreck for $35 a day and they did have a shuttle to to/from the office (within 5 miles)... but that was a dealer thing and dealers can provide loaners if they want....
Unread 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #279
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
I'm thinking most, if not all $80-90k said vehicles are gonna surpass a $47k Jeep in just about every category. Equivalent you say? Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Just like your statement of $47k is cheap for a SUV nowadays.
Well if you do a little research you will find your gut reaction is mistaken.

Perhaps you need to be thinking more in terms of a light truck than a car.

.... there are some people that feel entitled and are never satisfied

Now back on topic
Unread 06-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #280
jasbur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrb1225 View Post
Just curious - what dealership are you using? I'm also in NJ and I went to Route 1 Jeep (formerly Dick Greenfield Jeep) in Lawrenceville and I had to get a loaner through Enterprise. It was a compact (Mazda 3) and they only covered $35/day so I had to pay $80 for the overage that racked up over 2+ weeks.
Sorry for the delay, I haven't looked here for a few days.
I went with Pellegrino in Woodbury Heights.
They called and had Enterprise come pick me up. When I got to Enterprise I was told that my rental had to be a Chrysler group vehicle. They had 2, a minivan or the Durango.

I picked up my jeep the next day and left the rental there for Enterprise to come pick up.
jasbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #281
Emdoc1

Well, to remain on the topic of this thread... here's the update on my situation: Dropped my Overland off last Thursday (June 12th) for the axle boot failure on the driver's side, and was told the part would be in on Saturday, then Monday, then Tuesday, and then today with no more information than that from the dealer, claiming they are just told it may arrive "next day." Yesterday I called Jeep Customer Service, who got the part number from the shop where mine is at, and stated they would put it on an "expedited list." Not two minutes later, the service manager called me to say the part would definitely be in today.... well it did arrive today, but "very late" according to my service rep, so the car wont be done until tomorrow, day 7 of this ordeal. And if the passenger side axle goes in the future, I get to start this process all over again
Unread 06-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #282
saxe1125

I had the passenger side replaced and it failed again along with the driver side now. good times
saxe1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #283
C5natie
2014 WK 

Sorry, i didn't read all 19pgs but this is an issues with 4x4's only correct? Since a 4x2 won't have front half shafts.
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #284
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5natie View Post
Sorry, i didn't read all 19pgs but this is an issues with 4x4's only correct? Since a 4x2 won't have front half shafts.
Correct, only two speed transfer cases which is Quadra Trac ll and up.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #285
m38xjwj

I am really disappointed. I just purchased a 2014 GC Overland 4x4 Hemi. Drove it home on Saturday, wife drove it to work on Monday. I find this thread and recall seeing that my Jeep was an 03/14 build date. Go home and check...sure enough drivers side CV boot is a goner. The vehicle has 188 miles.
Can someone post a picture of a "good" CV boot and the position of the clamp. My passenger side has not come apart but I am trying to predict if it might. Going to check the tension and see if its tight. Has anybody caught this before the boot has slipped off completely making a mess? Just trying to see if it is gonna go.
m38xjwj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.